Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

we could have been where Tottenham are right now.

Brucey has us within 6 points of them, way closer than Rafa ever did

Using that flawless logic, Bruce has us 8 points behind Sheffield United - when was Rafa ever 8 points behind them?

Checkmate.

we could have been where Tottenham are right now.

Brucey has us within 6 points of them, way closer than Rafa ever did

Using that flawless logic, Bruce has us 8 points behind Sheffield United - when was Rafa ever 8 points behind them?

Checkmate.

Dear me :lol:

1. If you're suggesting that George Caulkin is being pressured by the Athletic to make up a story or falsify information to get some clicks and reads, then you're really insulting a man who's very much shown the most integrity and respect to us as fans of this club - who has always told it as it is. If you haven't read the article or listened to the podcast where he gives context to all of this, then please do before coming up with that.

2. If you still believe that Kieth Bishop, the warlord mastermind of PR has conjured up a smoke and mirror amidst Covid-19 involving Amanda Staveley, the Reubens, and PIF then you really need your head checked.

3. The NEW information over the past few days is that the PL has been notified a deal is near between PIF and Mike Ashley. This was allegedly submitted LAST week. So between that time and today, we very much could have a signed agreement of sale, a deposit, and the test could very much have started. It has been said many times that once that test begins, it becomes a black box until the outcome. In a situation where "no comment" is the norm for MA and NUFC, there is no promise we will hear anything else until its done or failed.

100%.

I've met him a several times and he's a cracking fella and loves NUFC and would never have penned that article for clicks or without being given big assurances about it presumably from Staveley!

1. If you're suggesting that George Caulkin is being pressured by the Athletic to make up a story or falsify information to get some clicks and reads, then you're really insulting a man who's very much shown the most integrity and respect to us as fans of this club - who has always told it as it is. If you haven't read the article or listened to the podcast where he gives context to all of this, then please do before coming up with that.

2. If you still believe that Kieth Bishop, the warlord mastermind of PR has conjured up a smoke and mirror amidst Covid-19 involving Amanda Staveley, the Reubens, and PIF then you really need your head checked.

3. The NEW information over the past few days is that the PL has been notified a deal is near between PIF and Mike Ashley. This was allegedly submitted LAST week. So between that time and today, we very much could have a signed agreement of sale, a deposit, and the test could very much have started. It has been said many times that once that test begins, it becomes a black box until the outcome. In a situation where "no comment" is the norm for MA and NUFC, there is no promise we will hear anything else until its done or failed.

100%.

I've met him a several times and he's a cracking fella and loves NUFC and would never have penned that article for clicks or without being given big assurances about it presumably from Staveley!

Playing devils advocate here, but he's said he was holding the story back as it could damage the prospects of a sale. It is perfectly reasonable to assume his bosses have told him he can't hold it back any longer. It's not as if they have much else to print football-wise.

Also, why the fuck would the PL need notifying that a deal is "close"?  :lol:

Playing devils advocate here, but he's said he was holding the story back as it could damage the prospects of a sale. It is perfectly reasonable to assume his bosses have told him he can't hold it back any longer. It's not as if they have much else to print football-wise.

Also, why the fuck would the PL need notifying that a deal is "close"?  :lol:

100% Sean.

I'm not doubting the credibility of Caulkin, he's clearly different to nigh on every other journalist out there.

There's something about this though, and the timing of it, that's really narking me.

This - :thup:

So did the buying side leak the story to the WSJ back in January while at the same time stepping back from negotiations?

Sounds like they knew they’d be in a position to put the squeeze on Ashley.

Maybe a new opportunity here lads :

Step 1. Write a lovely piece of fan mail to dear old Mike, saying how much you love him and hand-write everything to increase chances of it getting read by someone close to him

Step 2. Cough on it a lot accidentally

Step 3. Post it to his home address

Not really. Think it’s a fair point. If his employer are asking him to put out what he knows because they’re struggling for content, he might not have much say in it.

Not really. Think it’s a fair point. If his employer are asking him to put out what he knows because they’re struggling for content, he might not have much say in it.

Respectfully disagree. The reason for this is that it is known that Caulkin has the respect of our fans like no other journalist. It would be reckless to throw that away for a puff piece as that respect is such a valuable, rare, and nigh on impossible to replace commodity. If they wanted to do that, use a different writer.

would it not be more likely if he's being pressed for content he'd go like every other football news related thing atm and go down the nostalgia route like favourite nufc or sunderland match manager whatever instead of a fairly major news piece that he isn't reasonably sure on?

Indeed. Which is why you wouldn't have Caulkin do it. Use him for when it is believable. A puff piece for filler, use someone that doesn't have the attributes I mentioned.

Keegan's 2nd spell as manager was my favourite as an NUFC fan. We had a new billionaire owner and Kev was as optimistic as ever. It took a few games for us to get out of the Allarswamp but once we did it was brilliant. I could hardly believe how fast he was able to turn Fat Sam's anti-football turd into something beautiful. It was the most hope I've ever felt.

Clearly a crazy opinion of you're old enough to remember the first spell, but I'm not so I get what you mean. Loads of optimism at that time.

Haha I was there for the first first spell too, but I just loved the hope that his second spell brought. It was happening again and we had a billionaire owner who wore a Newcastle shirt. And things on the pitch were changing dead fast. I was strapped in for the ride.

Nah, no way. I am not having that there is anyone who would choose Keegan's 2nd time over the first. :lol:

Neither am I. Don't get me wrong, his transformation of Fat Sam's horrendous football was miraculous indeed, but nothing will ever compare to the Keegan management yrs Mk1.

The whole country was rocking, not just this city.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sorry but the burden to bail out staff shouldn’t be placed on the players, yes they are millionaires, but it’s easy to attack them when I guarantee no-one here would allocate some of their own wages to pay the wages of colleagues, the responsibility falls on the club and game really and shows the club up and the game in the worst possible light. And for all we know the players themselves might be doing things we don’t hear about to help out the situation.

Mind, under a KK or a Sir Bobby or a Rafa I’m sure the playing/coaching staff would have chipped in to help out general staff. There is no strong leadership or any at all at the club and the culture has stunk for so long now.

I reckon the NUST should pay something towards staff wages anyway...

Guest neesy111

Players will have to take pay cuts, it's inevitable.  Doesn't matter whether you are a football club or not, almost all businesses are starting to have massive cashflow problems.  If they genuinly care for the club they pay for, they'll have to take a temporary pay cut.

Sorry but the burden to bail out staff shouldn’t be placed on the players, yes they are millionaires, but it’s easy to attack them when I guarantee no-one here would allocate some of their own wages to pay the wages of colleagues, the responsibility falls on the club and game really and shows the club up and the game in the worst possible light. And for all we know the players themselves might be doing things we don’t hear about to help out the situation.

Mind, under a KK or a Sir Bobby or a Rafa I’m sure the playing/coaching staff would have chipped in to help out general staff. There is no strong leadership or any at all at the club and the culture has stunk for so long now.

Of course it isn't down to other staff members to pay other's wages, but if you're earning the average annual salary, weekly, then you can afford to do without for a year. It's not as if they're earning their wage.

Guest Howaythetoon

Players will have to take pay cuts, it's inevitable.  Doesn't matter whether you are a football club or not, almost all businesses are starting to have massive cashflow problems.  If they genuinly care for the club they pay for, they'll have to take a temporary pay cut.

Oh aye, definitely, but to expect them to pay others’ wages?!

It’s not even about caring for their club, it’s about making sure they have a club to go back to after this. I can’t imagine just how much more badly this will effect a footy club given how badly it will effect my own business, talking huge sums here. I’d suspend all wages to be paid back in full once footy resumes for the players if it was my club and pay general staff, just to ease cash flow.

Players mortgages etc. will be frozen anyway and any finance for cars etc. I guarantee they can get them frozen too. We are in the process of sorting our own in comparison piddling little finance owed out.

Guest Howaythetoon

Of course it isn't down to other staff members to pay other's wages, but if you're earning the average annual salary, weekly, then you can afford to do without for a year. It's not as if they're earning their wage.

They have expenses too and again why should they go without a years salary? The onus is on the club to pay for staff and if it can’t, then the onus is on the government provide some relief and after that...

They have expenses too and again why should they go without a years salary? The onus is on the club to pay for staff and if it can’t, then the onus is on the government provide some relief and after that...

If they don't have savings to draw upon I have no sympathy.

The only justification for their ridiculous salaries is that they ern the club more, that ain't happening right now.

government == us (through tax)

on a company maying a profit (2019 overall profit after tax of £18.6m). 

Owned by a billionaire. 

NUFC using the bailout is completely humiliating.  It is morally corrupt.

I don't want to associated with a company that does this.