Women's Football

Yanks look the best team but I don't want them to win it after their weird behaviour against Thailand. Was rooting for Japan's tica-taca football, but I'm behind England now.

You should try and score double digits at a World Cup and see how you react.

Rapinoe is absolutely nails.

There are many arguing that France should have had a penalty for that handball under the new rules. It's a perfect illustration of how FIFA have fucked up yet again - a clear example of a forward deliberately blasting the ball point blank at the arm to try to get a penalty.

I haven't watched much Women's football but from the odd clip here and there, it's obvious that the quality is miles behind the men's game. So, my (daft) question is, would you say the average male (decent enough at football and decent enough fitness) would mix it, or even be better, than the women if he was to play in one of their matches? :lol:

I haven't watched much Women's football but from the odd clip here and there, it's obvious that the quality is miles behind the men's game. So, my (daft) question is, would you say the average male (decent enough at football and decent enough fitness) would mix it, or even be better, than the women if he was to play in one of their matches? :lol:

Yes. An u15 boys team beat the USWNT 5-2 in a friendly

Testosterone is a helluva drug

Not like this is brought up ad infinitum every fucking women's world cup.

From what I have seen the quality is easily league 1 lower championship just lacking the pace and strength. Some of the vision, passing and shots ( less power ) have been lower premier league.  I have watched a fair few games and can`t remember seeing one sliding tackle though. 

No I don't think so actually.

Maybe a lad playing lower league or non league stuff aye, but not us off the street who played five-a-side or for a local pub side no.

I think the standard has shot up in the past couple of years, and will only improve.

My cousin back in early 70's captained England and played for St Helens and then Liverpool. I was a decent player (school team etc) but was nowhere near her level back then.

There are some cracking players in my opinion now.

The whole tournament has been a joy to watch and contrasted to the utter shitfest we have had to endure this summer and what is happening with what was once NUFC it's been a breath of fresh air imo.

Guest godzilla

From what I have seen the quality is easily league 1 lower championship just lacking the pace and strength. Some of the vision, passing and shots ( less power ) have been lower premier league.  I have watched a fair few games and can`t remember seeing one sliding tackle though.

You really think that? Any half decent amateur team would beat any of these teams.

You really think that? Any half decent amateur team would beat any of these teams.

Maybe I didn`t explain it too well, I think the passing, vision and technique is good enough, but they lack the power and pace so they could easily get beat. 

Guest godzilla

Maybe I didn`t explain it too well, I think the passing, vision and technique is good enough, but they lack the power and pace so they could easily get beat.

O0

Has anyone else seen a sliding tackle yet ? If not I wonder if it will become part of their football in years to come.  I must admit when I say a fair few games its on but I`m flicking back and forth on here and work emails so I may be completely wrong.

Talk to me about the standard when the women’s game reaches investment levels on par with the men’s game, so that female players can access, year-round, the same quality of training, technical support, nutrition, etc. Not to rag on coaches in the women’s game, many of them are fine students of the game, but imagine if the likes of Rafa, Pep, or Klopp switched over the women’s game. You’re a fool if you don’t think the quality would improve drastically.

Having watched quite a few games this summer, the best women’s players in the world are as technically sound as many Premier League players. Which is the beauty of the sport, it’s not predicated on strength and pace alone. The problem is the disparity between the best and worst at this World Cup. Competitively, this is a 10-team tournament at best. Which is a hell of a lot better than it used to be, to be fair.

This has been an excellent tournament to all but the snidest of football fans. Feel bad for anyone who can’t enjoy it simply because it’s women playing, especially since that same type probably watches non-league men’s football completely uncritically.

All the investment in the world still wouldn't be enough - the game will never reach the same level as the men's game until the same amount of women/girls are playing as you have boys/men playing.

Ask a sample of young males what they would most like to be when they grow up and there's a high chance the most popular answer is "footballer". Is that the same for girls? Highly unlikely. That's ultimately what has to change. Any group will have a few that are elite, most that are average and some terrible. If that group is small, you simply never haver enough elite individuals for the game overall to reach a high level.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation though, because how do you get more girls interested/wanting to play the game? One way is to have more elite players that they can watch and be inspired by - but the only way you get more elite players is if more girls are playing...and so on.

I hate the comparison of women’s football to men’s. Why can’t we just be happy that theirs women out there playing football end enjoying it?

My sister constantly tells her daughters that they can do everything that they want in life and being a girl doesn’t exclude them. However one of them in particular believes this, until it comes to football. The reason being, football is male dominated and I guess I’m guilty as much as anyone, as anytime she see’s me and my stepdad watching the game, it’s always the men’s game. If she saw women playing it on TV more often and women playing it out in the real world, then she might change her mind on this. I’d love for her to believe that she could become a footballer if she wanted too, even if it’s not her desire, just for her to know that being a female isn’t a barrier for her.

Anyway, I think I’ve went off the point a bit. My point is that we should be focusing on helping women become the best footballers they can be and give them every opportunity they can to play the game. Instead people always get into a debate of how good them female teams are compared to the men’s whenever woman’s football comes up. We need to get past that.

I hate the comparison of women’s football to men’s. Why can’t we just be happy that theirs women out there playing football end enjoying it?

We need to get past that.

You’d think it’d be easy...alas not.