Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

• 2 weeks later...

10 years ago today since the beach ball goal and there is an article about it in the Athletic

“Sunderland boss Steve Bruce was unapologetic about the gift. “Listen, I thought it was a deflection off a player. If anybody knew that rule — that it is supposed to be a drop ball — then you are a saddo,” he said.“

10 years ago today since the beach ball goal and there is an article about it in the Athletic

“Sunderland boss Steve Bruce was unapologetic about the gift. “Listen  :carverlick:, I thought it was a deflection off a player. If anybody knew that rule — that it is supposed to be a drop ball — then you are a saddo,” he said.“

In conversation, sometimes mumbling so only I can really hear what I'm saying, I always refer to teams by their most hilarious nicknames, so Manure, and Liverpoo, and Nuked Arsehole U-shited, Slumberland and Smell-a-ton, Pork and Ham Codspur, Transmere, Wet Spam U-shited.

Didn’t Luke Edwards point score for Bruce by saying that he unearthed these two?!

“I remember Stan’s (Ternant) first calls to me about both Andy and Harry,” Bruce tells The Athletic. “He had spotted Andy playing for Dundee United and said he had found Billy Whizz.

“I said, ‘Isn’t Billy Whizz in a comic book?’ But Stan was adamant we had to sign him. He was the same over Harry. Stan was relentless over Harry. The thing with Harry is he had been playing for Sheffield United since he was 18 and had something like 150 games under his belt (at age 21). He had also been their Player of the Year three years running.

“But people looked at him and asked, ‘Is he slow on the turn?’ I’ll admit, I asked the same of Stan when he first came to me about Harry. Stan’s reply was priceless, ‘Well, you were slow on the turn and you did OK.'”

In conversation, sometimes mumbling so only I can really hear what I'm saying, I always refer to teams by their most hilarious nicknames, so Manure, and Liverpoo, and Nuked Arsehole U-shited, Slumberland and Smell-a-ton, Pork and Ham Codspur, Transmere, Wet Spam U-shited.

:serious:

Didn’t Luke Edwards point score for Bruce by saying that he unearthed these two?!

“I remember Stan’s (Ternant) first calls to me about both Andy and Harry,” Bruce tells The Athletic. “He had spotted Andy playing for Dundee United and said he had found Billy Whizz.

“I said, ‘Isn’t Billy Whizz in a comic book?’ But Stan was adamant we had to sign him. He was the same over Harry. Stan was relentless over Harry. The thing with Harry is he had been playing for Sheffield United since he was 18 and had something like 150 games under his belt (at age 21). He had also been their Player of the Year three years running.

“But people looked at him and asked, ‘Is he slow on the turn?’ I’ll admit, I asked the same of Stan when he first came to me about Harry. Stan’s reply was priceless, ‘Well, you were slow on the turn and you did OK.'”

Jesus, you can really tell he wrote those books like :lol:

Is it half-term at the moment?

I've noticed this in previous games, but he seems to pay no regard to team shape at all. As Disco, said in the match thread, his subs are Pardewesque, throwing on strikers and removing the means of supply.

When you consider that Rafa's blueprint for survival with a weak attack was discipline and team shape, it looks even more bizarre when Bruce just randomly decides to throw a big man up front and withdraw a wide man who puts in a massive shift defensively if not much else.

He's fucking thick.