Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest Cheesy Beans

The entry route is basically non-existent though, isn’t it? Even a majority of managers who come through being someone’s assistant/coach has generally played the game at some level (even if it’s like Mourinho and an incredibly poor one).

If Joe Bloggs left school and completed a sports degree, put himself through his FA coaching badges and ran a Sunday league team, he’d never be considered for any sort of role above non-league.

Isn't it significant that not a single player under Ferguson has become a successful manager?

Roy Keene? Bully

Beckam? - no

Scholes? no

Giggs? Hardly

Bruce? Don't make me laugh!

Or am I missing somebody? Good or even great players do not make good or great managers....

Keegan?

I stand corrected on this. I think he's very much the exception that proves the rule though...

TBF Keegan wasn't your typical footballer. He always had way more charisma than the rest. Don't think he ever intended to go into management.

Maybe that's the problem with footballers that go on to become managers, they're groomed for it, by people that know fuck all (or maybe they assume too much) about what it takes.

Think the reflection on Ferguson kinda demonstrates that. He's remembered for the hairdryer, as much as developing some of the world's greatest football talent. But the hairdryer is just one tool in his arsenal, which he used sparingly and to great effect. He was able to use it sparingly, because the rest of his arsenal meant it was rarely required.

He's also remembered as uncharismatic, but in his own circle he is highly cherished.

Isn't it significant that not a single player under Ferguson has become a successful manager?

Roy Keene? Bully

Beckam? - no

Scholes? no

Giggs? Hardly

Or am I missing somebody? Good or even great players do not make good or great managers....

Keegan?

I stand corrected on this. I think he's very much the exception that proves the rule though...

Zidane, Guardiola and Conte are others that quickly come to mind.

Conte wasn't a great player. He was good, not much more.

You could argue that Zidane and Guardiola aren't great managers.

Guest Cheesy Beans

How?

I think he’s referring to the fact they landed great jobs in great teams immediately and didn’t necessarily need to prove their managerial credentials first.

That said, they’ve both done amazingly well.

Roy Keene? Bully

Beckam? - no

Scholes? no

Giggs? Hardly

Keegan?

:lol:

That's enough internet for today.

Roy Keene? Bully

Beckam? - no

Scholes? no

Giggs? Hardly

Keegan?

Save it for the Ben Arfa thread  :lol:

Roy Keene? Bully

Beckam? - no

Scholes? no

Giggs? Hardly

Keegan?

Right up there as one of the most stupid posts in the history of N-O! :lol:

I thought you were fucking joking, yo!

0ebc096e172547321b18218706e863d1.gif

Roy Keene? Bully

Beckam? - no

Scholes? no

Giggs? Hardly

Keegan?

That's enough internet for today.

Is Zidane a great manager or just a competent one with enough gravitas and strength of character to lead the most famous team in the world? How much does he actually interfere? Genuine questions btw. Barely follow Spanish football these days.

Guardiola himself said his success was done to the likes of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. What has he done without them? :lol:

You can also f*** off about Zidane as he had the BBC.

Won league titles with record point tallies and completely changed how the game is played. And three champions leagues with any team is impressive

Guardiola himself said his success was done to the likes of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. What has he done without them? :lol:

You can also f*** off about Zidane as he had the BBC.

Won league titles with record point tallies and completely changed how the game is played. And three champions leagues with any team is impressive

Yeah, won league titles with Messi, Inesita, Xavi, etc! :lol:

He didn't complete change the game, his philosophy is largely influenced by Cruyff.

They all had their best seasons under Pep. Turned them in to the greatest team of all time. He literally couldn’t have done anymore with that team. It’s not as easy as you make out Alex Ferguson had just about all the resources he wanted and didn’t build a team as good as that. Mourinho went in to Chelsea with an open cheque book similar to Pep at city, couldn’t get near the points tallies Pep has amassed on a regular basis. Peps philosophy is of course influenced by Cruyff, Bielsa too. But none of them had the same influence.

Guest neesy111

They all had their best seasons under Pep. Turned them in to the greatest team of all time. He literally couldn’t have done anymore with that team. It’s not as easy as you make out Alex Ferguson had just about all the resources he wanted and didn’t build a team as good as that. Mourinho went in to Chelsea with an open cheque book similar to Pep at city, couldn’t get near the points tallies Pep has amassed on a regular basis. Peps philosophy is of course influenced by Cruyff, Bielsa too. But none of them had the same influence.

It was pep that moved Messi to being more central, also made Iniesta into a integral part of the side.  They were pretty awful in the season before he joined, finished 4th.

How on earth are we discussing Alex Fergusons and Peps flaws on the Steve f*cking Bruce thread?

Hated the fella but Ferguson knew how to create longevity, he kept recreating teams that won. Apart from his first 5 they dominated this country for about 20 years, and he built it himself, to me he’s probably the greatest manager that ever lived. I think Pep is a great manager, he’s always took over when there was money or a very strong team, he has done it in 3 countries now, but he’s got to do it for 15 more years before he can be compared to Ferguson.

Can’t really argue about Ferguson, as much as I still dislike the bastard.

He was once asked in an interview what the secret to his success was and he quickly answered “delegation”

He hired good coaches to do the hard work, the difference between the success those coaches had at Man Utd and the lack of success elsewhere is down to a total lack of respect by the players.

At Man Utd Ferguson’s shadow lurked over the whole set up, players respected and feared him, like boys trying to impress a parent. This respect extended to his coaching setup.

Without the protection of Fergie those same people folded elsewhere.