Joelinton

Stifler

1 minute ago, Magpie said:

Just seen that chance he had, why doesn't he just hit it???

Don’t think trying to sit the defender down and cut back was the wrong choice, he just wasn’t good enough to execute. See Jota’s finish for Liverpool yesterday, technique and composure. That’s the difference.

He was great yesterday, most effective and confident display for us but he’s just not a natural goalscorer.

29 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Needs some new boots.  Slipped multiple times yesterday.

He is generally a bit awkward/clumsy at times and so I think we'll always see that happen occasionally.

Hopefully better fitness levels, which will get his legs under him more and improve his core strength will see less of that.

Weren’t there quotes from Nagelsmann saying that he’s a ‘machine’? 

Maybe with a defined role and purpose. In a system that has some structure and a coach who actually believes in tactics. He is actually quite a good player? 

Not sure he will ever be worth £40m. But that is kind of irrelevant now. Just want him to build on a really good performance. 

Shearer described it as "the ball fell nicely for Joelinton". As someone who had a great first touch himself I thought that was an unnecessary  comment as Jo's first touch was actually fantastic. 

12 minutes ago, TRon said:

Shearer described it as "the ball fell nicely for Joelinton". As someone who had a great first touch himself I thought that was an unnecessary  comment as Jo's first touch was actually fantastic. 

It’s fair to point out luck was involved -  the ball falling to Joelinton was equally as fortunate as Lascelles deflecting a wide shot into the net.

You’re right to say Joelinton took full advantage of that luck with a great touch and finish, but he was lucky it came to him at all.

I’m of the opinion that Shearer really doesn’t like Big Joe - he never seems to say anything positive about him.

Shearer appears to be one of those that always blames the players for not trying hard enough when things don't work out, with everything therefore being their fault in those situations. Makes me wonder what on earth these guys think a manager is supposed to be responsible for? Unfortunately, the man is clearly a PFM. 

12 hours ago, Raconteur said:

It’s fair to point out luck was involved -  the ball falling to Joelinton was equally as fortunate as Lascelles deflecting a wide shot into the net.

You’re right to say Joelinton took full advantage of that luck with a great touch and finish, but he was lucky it came to him at all.

I’m of the opinion that Shearer really doesn’t like Big Joe - he never seems to say anything positive about him.

Maybe you're right and he was referring to the way it fell to him, just seemed kind of obvious, whereas the first touch actually was worthy of comment but he missed that. Anyway I am sure there will be plenty of legitimate reasons to criticise Joe ongoing, I'm going to give him some credit for that goal. It was well taken. 

Indeed, it was the kind of display that convinced Newcastle to smash their transfer record back in 2019 after watching the Brazilian extensively at Hoffenheim.

Lutz Pfannenstiel, who was Hoffenheim's director of international relations and scouting at the time, knew 'the recruitment guys at Newcastle very well' and noticed how 'they were there a lot at our games - even away games'.

"They really scouted as much as they could do and the kid showed his quality in the games they watched," he told ChronicleLive.

"Recruitment is very sensitive because, completely independent from Joelinton, you can see one player who functions perfectly at that club, moves on and goes to another club and nothing happens and he goes to a third club and suddenly he's a superstar again. You never have any guarantee.

"Newcastle invested so much time in analysing that particular player. They did their homework, they did their job, and everything else is something you cannot 100% influence. It is a bit of a lottery sometimes.

"In my opinion, he is a fantastic player. I think he can really make his mark on the Premier League. There is not a single doubt in my mind that he has the quality at the end of the day."

Some insight from Hoffenheim's side on the work that went into scouting Joelinton from our recruitment team, only to then hand him over to clueless Steve Bruce man :lol:

So apparently he had hired an analyst outside of the club to review his clips and to improve on areas of his game, as under Bruce the analysts didn't have time to do so ... of course. Even did work to prepare for Howe's style once the news broke he would be coming in. No wonder he started off so well.

Speak to anyone behind the scenes at the club and they will tell you about Joelinton's 'heart' and determination to make the move work nearly two-and-a-half years on. So much so, ChronicleLive understands Joelinton has enlisted the help of a fitness coach, Felipe Lira, and analyst, Diego Vieira, to make the most of his time away from the training ground.

Joelinton has logged on to a Zoom call with Vieira, the founder of the Outlier FC agency, after every game for a few months now to review his clips. It is important to stress that these sessions supplement the work Joelinton does at Benton with Newcastle's own coaches and analysis department who, naturally, do not always have the time to go over the forward's clips after every game.

As a result, Vieira always has the manager's philosophy and demands in mind and the Sao Paulo-based analyst has already been looking at how Howe used to set his side up at Bournemouth.

Vieira believes Joelinton could yet be 'a powerful tool' for the new head coach after noting that there was 'more structure' to Bournemouth's play.

"We are already doing a lot of work on our end here to identify what Eddie was doing at his last club and presenting every single detail possible to Joelinton," Vieira told ChronicleLive.

"Our focus and goal was to give Joelinton some specifics about it during this two-week period so he can show the new manager in training that he understands and is willing to put the work in to help him and the club.

"He's a guy who's willing to do it. There's not one single player we work with who tells me, 'I love defending. I live for it' but they have to do it. Joelinton understands that actually he has to work when he doesn't have the ball."

Joelinton benefited from a similar arrangement during a testing period while the then Hoffenheim forward was on loan at Rapid Vienna back in 2016.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-eddie-howe-joelinton-training-22166676

Edited by KaKa