Joelinton

Stifler

Wonder what they include in those stats. Feels like he is getting into so many situations where he is disrupting the opponents play and creating some 50-50 situations duels in plays where the opponent should be comfortably be retaining possession. Obviously his pass completion rate will take a hit whenever he is trying to win those duels and also pass the ball to a teammate. 

It's interesting and overdue to see his stats when compared to midfielders and not forwards. ASM's worst trait is the same, losing the ball in bad areas, though in ASM's case he should not be expected to be working wonders there. We need to give him the ball higher up the pitch. Joelinton needs to be coached into being more careful with it now he's playing much deeper.

It's interesting also that Kev at Statsbomb picked up on Joelinton improving under Bruce. The numbers even then showed that he was best suited to a defensive #10 role, like Mo Diame under Rafa.

7 hours ago, Solitude20 said:

That’s what I said about him in the other thread. His passing stats are much less than what is expected from a Premier League midfielder. I trust Howe if he sees a chance of improving his passing since he is still new in this position, but how much can he improve taking his age into account?

I don't think his age is relevant at all considering he's learning a completely new position. Howe's coaching and Joelinton's willingness to improve as a player and hopefully a full pre-season, I'm confident that the won't be making the wrong choice so often next season.

11 hours ago, BergenMagpie said:

Wonder what they include in those stats. Feels like he is getting into so many situations where he is disrupting the opponents play and creating some 50-50 situations duels in plays where the opponent should be comfortably be retaining possession. Obviously his pass completion rate will take a hit whenever he is trying to win those duels and also pass the ball to a teammate. 

It's true his passing can still be a bit erratic, he will misplace the odd one, but it feels like we will need a really top signing to be able to replace those disruption elements.

19 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's true his passing can still be a bit erratic, he will misplace the odd one, but it feels like we will need a really top signing to be able to replace those disruption elements.

Bissouma? Could then sign a more forward thinking midfielder who can score and create.

11 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Bissouma? Could then sign a more forward thinking midfielder who can score and create.

Yeah I still feel we lack that, never really been happy with our versions of a playbreaker, with the exceptions of maybe Tiote and Diame, and even they weren't top notch. I think Joelinton has done a great job for the most part, but there is a higher level if we want to really push for the top, and I think that applies to Targett as well, even though no one can doubt he's done a great job.

• 2 weeks later...

This video for me just emphasises the potential Jo has in midfield.

We know he is great at winning the ball back, carrying the ball and interceptions, but in this video there is some really nice passes, some lovely dribbling, a couple of goals.

Let’s not forget he only moved into the position mid season, imagine how much more he could improve after a full pre season focusing on him as a midfielder.

Guest reefatoon

Class video. I think he could transition even further into an unbelievable holding midfielder. Absolute rock he would be.

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Class video. I think he could transition even further into an unbelievable holding midfielder. Absolute rock he would be.

Think he'd be wasted if he was sat as a holding midfielder. He's definitely got the legs & strength to be a box to box midfielder for the foreseeable. 

1 hour ago, Big River said:

seven minutes in heaven 

So many times he wins the ball back in the opposition 3rd and plays a good pass and we haven't capitalised on the attack. That will change.

2 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Think he'd be wasted if he was sat as a holding midfielder. He's definitely got the legs & strength to be a box to box midfielder for the foreseeable. 

Hasn't got the killer pass nor finishing touch in him - I prefer him as a traditional defensive midfielder, winning the ball and simple release passes to more technically gifted players.  Love watching him get stuck in - the lad clearly enjoys nowt more than a hard, clean challenge.