Joelinton

Stifler

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Just listening to The Football Ramble for the first time in years and they're discussing whether it was a Bruce or Howe decision to move Joelinton to centre mid because Pete Donaldson can't remember how it came about :rolleyes:

Okay, now that is unacceptable.

Trying to give Bruce any kind of credit for Joelinton's turnaround is a criminal offence. He almost ruined the guy's life, never mind career. Joelinton would likely be on his way back to a mid level club back in Brazil, such had his reputation been destroyed playing for that buffoon.

Infuriating stuff.

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

The fee shown comes under ‘Subsequent Events’ header, which is post takeover (“after the period end”) and accounting timeframe. Willock wouldn’t fall into that. 

I only skimmed it the other day but I thought the quoted £112m was including wages for the new signings? I could very well be wrong though.

14 minutes ago, wormy said:

I only skimmed it the other day but I thought the quoted £112m was including wages for the new signings? I could very well be wrong though.

The statement just says ‘net cost excluding contingency fees’- doesn’t mention wages but I guess it could include those (although I’d expect the total to be even higher if it did?)

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

The statement just says ‘net cost excluding contingency fees’- doesn’t mention wages but I guess it could include those (although I’d expect the total to be even higher if it did?)

Fair. Just a guess on my part. I don't know shit. :lol:

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

He is, I can't stand him.

How can he not know how Joelinton in midfield came about

Yeah, he is a bit of a bellend. Made worse by just how fit his missus is. Not sure how his has managed that.

Absolute Radio's Sarah Champion to save people a Google... Or give them the correct thing to Google. 

1 hour ago, Abacus said:

I read it differently - that sentence says 'after the period end', which would specifically include everything after the 30 June accounting period, not just after the takeover.

But hey, not that it matters much, other than to a pedant like me.

It means post the balance sheet/statement of financial position date

Pete's football knowledge all round is pretty poor. He's only really there because he's mates with the other originals and probably help them set the whole podcast up with his broadcast experience. 

Brassel is the most knowledgeable and fair on Newcastle matters across the podcasts I listen to. 

1 hour ago, wormy said:

I don't believe so, no. The equivalent figure quoted for the previous year was £36m.

That would be mainly the transfers of Wilson and Lewis, who cost around £35m. 

If you look at what was then capitalised as an intangible asset (I e. the cost of registering those players) it's around the same amount - about £40m.

If you believe what's reported about their wages (on 4 and 5 year contracts respectively), which you can't capitalise in the same way, that would add another £20m or thereabouts to the total.

The short answer being that it doesn't look like those figures include wages. (Nor should they be - not least as those amounts are described as transfer costs).

Probably shouldn't be understated how difficult it must have been in his first season - unable to speak the language, record signing, struggling to score goals, a global pandemic isolating him from the rest of the world.

To stick around and become such an important player for us shows great mental strength. Loved the Longstaff interview earlier in the season saying how everyone wanted to be on his team in training and how disrespectful people have been to him.

Hope he continues to go from strength to strength. Love him

Love that he’s really a two-way player for us and has the engine to break up play, play intelligent passes and break forward with the ball - i really do think we’ll see him get more goals too over time. There is part of me who would play him out wide if it meant we had more balance on the left with an attacking fullback and then there is part of me who wonders if you just keep him in this role and keep developing his defensive side of the game as well as his attacking and let him develop into this all action box to box.