Joelinton

Stifler

He was absurd last night. About as intimidating a physical presence as you could wish to face in the midfield; combined with the CBs and Wilson, we were so physically strong last night, fantastic. Even his fouls had value cos it contributed to the mental victory. 

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

He was absurd last night. About as intimidating a physical presence as you could wish to face in the midfield; combined with the CBs and Wilson, we were so physically strong last night, fantastic. Even his fouls had value cos it contributed to the mental victory. 

Yep we bullied Arsenal last night, the high press was superb again.

Got a text off someone last night who isn't a Newcastle fan and doesn't usually watch us, it went.. is that the same guy who used to be rubbish? He is a fucking tank [emoji38]

15 hours ago, Yorkie said:

It probably is Joe but for the sake of thinking, in my time supporting the club, maybe Olivier Bernard? Wasn't he a bit shit, then played a blinder at the San Siro, then was quality right up until he left?

Looked quality from the first moment to me tbh.

19 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

We look so fit and strong now as a team

Compared to how we've looked before Howe came in and all of the niggly injuries we picked up with Bruce, it's incredible. Says a lot about Howe and Bruce

8 hours ago, Jaqen said:

It's a weird one because he's been so good in this midfield role but looking at the transfer threads and potential line ups for next season and nobody really seems to have him in. 

Had we signed him as a midfielder in January and he played like this I'm sure it wouldn't even be a question. 

He's 100% earned a starting place In our midfield next season, I'd play him and Bruno with a new midfielder, keep Shelvey and Willock back up.

8 hours ago, greydos said:

Totally agreed. Think about Joelinton’s performances, and then remember what we got from Sissoko and Wijnaldum in a relegation fight. Absolute night and day

Honestly think he is captain material. Probably wouldn't get past Trippier when it comes to picking a new captain, but should at least be in the leadership group if he isn't already. 

13 hours ago, ElDiablo said:

Against sides where we're expecting to have a majority of the ball I'm not sure he fits in so well, which is why I think we need a more creative option. He shines against the better sides when he can hunt them down and disrupt things. He'll still be an important member of the squad next season but I think it depends who we face.

I think you are probably right if we look at objectively, but he offers so much as a player it's difficult to see how you wouldn't miss him. Physical presence, a turn of pace, runs for 90 mins and tackles ferociously. Not to mention he's not bad in the air and can hold the ball up pretty well as a former striker.

He 100% should get a Brazil call up. I can't imagine for a second they have anyone in their squad who can do what he does.

You would have him on the plane to the world cup, even if he's just on the bench. Who better to bring on when you are winning?

Just listening to The Football Ramble for the first time in years and they're discussing whether it was a Bruce or Howe decision to move Joelinton to centre mid because Pete Donaldson can't remember how it came about :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Just listening to The Football Ramble for the first time in years and they're discussing whether it was a Bruce or Howe decision to move Joelinton to centre mid because Pete Donaldson can't remember how it came about :rolleyes:

:lol: is he the Newcastle fan?

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

He is, I can't stand him.

How can he not know how Joelinton in midfield came about

Because he's from Darlington......lived in Soho for 10 years and now lives on the south coast. 

This is what pisses me off about all the football podcasts, the closest thing we have to representation or a balanced views is Pete ;D

I mean you had Philippe Auclair saying we spent 120 million in January and Lars Sivertson claiming we'e had the 6th highest net spend IN THE WORLD since 2018.......on the guardian football podcast yesterday. Both false and both went completely unchallenged. 

I stick to fan led football content as despite the bias tends to be way more informed and balanced than the "bigger" shows ect.

16 minutes ago, Comegetasample said:

I mean you had Philippe Auclair saying we spent 120 million in January and Lars Sivertson claiming we'e had the 6th highest net spend IN THE WORLD since 2018.......on the guardian football podcast yesterday. Both false and both went completely unchallenged. 

It was £112m net (and excluding contingency fees) so wasn’t massively far wrong in fairness.

C0A384AD-628E-4903-A844-8C1228F39046.jpeg

They were definitely doing a bit about Bruce tbf. Pete for all of his increasingly bizarre takes knew fine well that Bruce was shit. Saying that, he (and the Ramble in total) has got worse over the years. Don't think it's anything to do with where he's from or where he lives though, he's just seems like he's lost interest and definitely isn't comfortable with the ownership, but is still doing the show because it's his job. 

12 minutes ago, Manxst said:

It was £112m net (and excluding contingency fees) so wasn’t massively far wrong in fairness.

C0A384AD-628E-4903-A844-8C1228F39046.jpeg

The accounts were made up until the 30 June.

So, I'm assuming that £112m includes the reported £25m we spent on Willock in August. When in a brilliant set of tactics, we made it known that he was our main target and our opening gambit was to ask for him on loan again, only to be told no, so we caved in straight away and bought him.

That £25m would presumably explain most of the difference between the £112m reported in the accounts, and the c.£90m that I've read elsewhere as being our January spend post takeover.

5 minutes ago, Abacus said:

The accounts were made up until the 30 June.

So, I'm assuming that £112m includes the reported £25m we spent on Willock in August. When in a brilliant set of tactics, we made it known that he was our main target and our opening gambit was to ask for him on loan again, only to be told no, so we caved in straight away and bought him.

That £25m would presumably explain most of the difference between the £112m reported in the accounts, and the c.£90m that I've read elsewhere as being our January spend post takeover.

The fee shown comes under ‘Subsequent Events’ header, which is post takeover (“after the period end”) and accounting timeframe. Willock wouldn’t fall into that. 

I read it differently - that sentence says 'after the period end', which would specifically include everything after the 30 June accounting period, not just after the takeover.

But hey, not that it matters much, other than to a pedant like me.