Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

5 minutes ago, Papavasiliou said:

Easy passes aren't always good passes.

They are in the situations I'm talking about.

ASMs decision making is pretty woeful.  Just a stark contrast to Bruno and worse than everyone else in the squad.

I like ASM and there is obviously the chance of him becoming an effective player. He needs to learn when to pick the easy pass and when to go on a solo raid. Often he tries the “too long” solo raid. He rarely does the pass and move and then get the ball back again to continue. It’s not always necessary to have the last shot or pass before a eventual goal. 

In my opinion he stands still too often when he receives the ball and takes too many touches even the times when he ends up playing the simple pass. Play it quickly to begin with and then offer your team mate a new passing option. 

I know  he has a lot of opposition players   against him, doubling up and he ends up in too tight and crowded situations. But he also invites this by either receiving the ball being too static, or holding on to the ball for too long or taking too many touches or players on.  When he finds the correct balance of when to do what, evaluating correctly, only then can he fulfil his potential and talent. 

Having said all that, it will be interesting to see if Eddie can change him for next season,If he listens and follows instructions. Safe to say that he could then be one hell of a player, even if his end product lets him down at times (can be worked on) He can be a much better player now with quite a few tweaks and some better confidence.

Right now the only players we have that I properly hope we build the team around is Bruno, Trippier and Targett. Obviously other players have massive roles to play as well. 

He can go in a couple of seasons if he can't adapt and we progress but currently he's still one of our best players, has played more minutes than anybody else, and has more combined g+a than anybody else in the squad.

We've got enough of a rebuilding job on without jettisoning our best players.

13 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

He can go in a couple of seasons if he can't adapt and we progress but currently he's still one of our best players, has played more minutes than anybody else, and has more combined g+a than anybody else in the squad.

We've got enough of a rebuilding job on without jettisoning our best players.

I agree. I don’t want him gone either. Within time he will be gone anyway if things don’t change for the better in a year or whatever. 

5 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Feel like that is a totally baseless and unfair thing to throw at him. He's emotional and stroppy and will milk the crowd's affection, but I see absolutely nothing to suggest he's more interested in the limelight than he is the team's progress. You just have to look at his reaction to our last two winners. 

I think both can be true. I don't think he's selfishly upset about not being the sole hope, but I think it is a role adjustment for him, both psychologically and tactically. I think he feels a bit like he's seen as yesterday's man.

Edited by 80

2 hours ago, TRon said:

Honestly I just don't see him ever being that player. He's trying to do it a bit now, but often still holds onto it a fraction too long. It goes against every instinct in his body.

Would definitely be interesting to see what he would look like surrounded by better players, but I think ultimately he'd still want to dribble for the sake of dribbling. It's what he's about.

Yeah, I think with better players around him he'll look even more frustrating, because his penchant for dwelling on the ball too long at the wrong times will be even more glaring. We'll find out soon enough though.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, I think with better players around him he'll look even more frustrating, because his penchant for dwelling on the ball too long at the wrong times will be even more glaring. We'll find out soon enough though.

I think this is exactly why he ended up signing for us in the first place.

in my completely useless opinion a lot of ASM's current problems are down to the role / freedom he was given by the fat Khunt who's now at WBA, clearly had zero control over ASM as he was our only outlet / creator, thus allowing him a free role behind the "false 10 (Fkin lol)" now hes being reigned into a system hes lost & those attempts at taking 4 or 5 defenders on has been worked out by savvy coaches / players, I fear hes not long for this squad if he dont adapt & fit into king Eddies methods

Just my tuppence worth of course & im almost certainly miles away 

25 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

I think this is exactly why he ended up signing for us in the first place.

Yup, along with the defensive work and some discipline issues off the pitch. He was young then though, he's just turned 25 now, and so you'd like to think he can take the next step now and evolve as a player, so let's see. Big pre-season of preparation for him heading into next season.

Edited by KaKa

There's always a weird narrative around him for whatever reason. 

"Doesn't want to try because Bruce has been sacked"

"Throwing a strop because Eddie has asked him to track back"

"Cares more about his board game"

"Faking an injury so he could be subbed off"

"Not happy because he's not the main man" 

Eddie has said numerous times he's playing for survival not how he wants to play long term. He's improved pretty much every player we have since he got here so there's little to suggest he won't be able to improve Maxi once we bring in proper attacking options around him and setup to play like he wants. 

There are definitely times when a simple pass or a one-two would get us in a better position than him running it.  I think what you ideally want is for that aspect of his game to be timed better, so it comes as a surprise to the opposition, rather than trying a dribble every time. 

6 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

I actually thought he played well last night to be honest. It feels like he has to score or set one up to get any real praise. 

it’s not only about scoring or assisting. It’s about fluidity. Moving the ball around as a team and not lose possession too easily. And play it quick and simple to create new openings and running against opposition when there is a fair chance of punishing them. Make the right choice of when going for the kill. Running into crowds constantly isn’t the solution, especially a lot of situations.

Edited by Ikon

3 hours ago, nufcnick said:

I would definitely play him against Norwich no doubt, but against Liverpool and city I would definitely look at playing Almiron behind wood and bringing in Willock for ASM packing the midfield 

IMO he's the most important player when we are playing City/Pool and have even less possession than usually. Thought he had a great game at Anfield on a free role and had numerous good runs that troubled them.

10 hours ago, Pata said:

IMO he's the most important player when we are playing City/Pool and have even less possession than usually. Thought he had a great game at Anfield on a free role and had numerous good runs that troubled them.

Yeah. I think he doe better against the better teams. 

12 hours ago, Ikon said:

it’s not only about scoring or assisting. It’s about fluidity. Moving the ball around as a team and not lose possession too easily. And play it quick and simple to create new openings and running against opposition when there is a fair chance of punishing them. Make the right choice of when going for the kill. Running into crowds constantly isn’t the solution, especially a lot of situations.

But equally we will have lots of occasions where passing it around gets you nowhere. You need different options - he provides something totally different and unpredictable to everybody else in our squad.

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

But equally we will have lots of occasions where passing it around gets you nowhere. You need different options - he provides something totally different and unpredictable to everybody else in our squad.

Totally agree. Every player can't just constantly just pass it around, that's not what i'm saying. There has to be someone/few who runs at players, taking them on, going on solo raids. But there has to be a balance to it, evaluating the gameplay when to play it simple and when to go on a solo raid taking players on and be creative and try something out of the ordinary. It's all about decision making. He plays it simple too but even then he takes a few extra touches for no reason at all sometimes.

I love him, and he has the world at his feet. If he can tune his game when it comes to the above that's when we will see him really fulfil his potential. He has every chance of playing for france if his decision making gets better.

He's probably the most fortunate of all the players in our team for the takeover happening when it did. 

He came to us at a time when the lack of direction allowed him to be a maverick and showcase his natural talent, and then the takeover coming at a time where as the side improves in quality he has the chance to start playing at the level he would want to, as long as he can mature alongside the team. 

He has all the ability in the world, but next season is going to be the make or break for him at this club, and if he fails here, his chances of playing at a top level club will not come around again I don't think