Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

He’s surrounded by the right players and coach to get the best out of him. If we can keep him riding high and he can dig in with our pressing shape alongside his individual brilliance then he really could be something special for us. Who else in the league can do what he did today? Every decision was correct, his weight of pass and when he decided to check back after dribbling past someone. Was a joy to watch 

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Fantastic today (but why did Pep think 'nah just leave him, don't get close, just let him do what he wants)

Maxi won't get that space against anyone else this season.

Maybees, if that's actually what he proscribed, because ASM hasn't played at that level much?  

Maybees, if that's actually what he proscribed, because he trusts his team of superstars to win 99% of their 1 on 1s

Regardless, ASM has landed on his feet here and now.  He's got a manager, coaches and team that will help him become the player he wants to be. That interview with Tripps is telling. 

Onwards, upwards

22 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

That interview with Tripps is telling. 

You could tell there was a genuine happiness when he spoke about Trips helping him. He'd be entitled to strut around the pitch like a peacock on heat [I know] after that performance, but he took the time to thank his captain. Massive.

He posted in French “I’m living my best life here” in Twitter in response to someone making a passing remark in French about what it would be like for him to be at a ‘top club’. Glad to hear he’s happy 

I'm a sad cunt so read through Redcafe's other games thread and everyone raved about him. Things like 'we fucked up not buying him pre-takeover', ASM>>>Sancho and him being valued at £70m-100m now. :lol: Just shows how good he is when everything clicks. That interview with Trippier is lovely and shows that it's not just Howe who's trying to help him fulfill his potential. Exciting times and if he can play like that consistently we'll have a great season. Really want that RW so he gets more space against every team and can replicate what he did today more often.

Guest HTT II

On and off the ball he was perfect yesterday. Defensively he protected Burn and grafted his balls off. Even off the ball offensively he did the same. He created, what 3 goals and could have assisted more and even scored a few. That was his best ever game for us. His passing was incise and perfectly timed and weighted mostly as well. Long may it continue. 

I enjoy the way he seems to be shielding the ball better with his back to goal, either drawing the foul or bringing the defender out of position to get tight. He was outstanding yesterday.

Good point about the shielding, when he was under pressure yesterday he made the right decision every time. Didn’t just try and dribble past someone, but either passed it, shielded it or cut away in a different direction into space

Absolutely brilliant performance yesterday, fantastic stuff. Even end of last season you could see he was trying to adapt his game, hopefully this performance showed the kinds of results he could get if he really follows through with it.

Could've easily ended up with 4 assists, which is just silly against Man City. 

5 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

I enjoy the way he seems to be shielding the ball better with his back to goal, either drawing the foul or bringing the defender out of position to get tight. He was outstanding yesterday.

This is something the likes of Sterling and Foden do brilliantly, it's not enough to just be a great dribbler.

17 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Good point about the shielding, when he was under pressure yesterday he made the right decision every time. Didn’t just try and dribble past someone, but either passed it, shielded it or cut away in a different direction into space

Yeah I noticed him doing it a few times, and standing just a couple yards in front of the fullback, I guess forcing them to make a decision to either get tight or stand off. Either option is not a good one.