Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

And a 50-60 yard switch ball to Trippier I think?

Ridiculous how good Tripp's first touch is. A few times today when he was the last man on a clearance and he just nonchalantly brought it down and played the simple pass. 

15 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

He was right about playing with Wood last season, there's no way a player like him can benefit in anyway with having Wood as the main point of attack.

I think having a functioning full back behind him is much more of an issue. His game completely changed when Targett came into the side last season and offered the ability to actually have purposeful overlapping runs that actually created danger. It stops him from being double and triple teamed.

17 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I think having a functioning full back behind him is much more of an issue. His game completely changed when Targett came into the side last season and offered the ability to actually have purposeful overlapping runs that actually created danger. It stops him from being double and triple teamed.

the burn thing works only here and there - today and Brighton it was clear as day he needed Targett behind him 

3 hours ago, Disco said:

Woof! What a fucking goal. 

Came out of nowhere as well.  I didn't even celebrate.  Just proper shocked silence.  Was just insane to pull that finish off [emoji38]

Particularly when I don't think he has the best shooting technique.  Tends to drag them a lot.

15 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Came out of nowhere as well.  I didn't even celebrate.  Just proper shocked silence.  Was just insane to pull that finish off [emoji38]

Particularly when I don't think he has the best shooting technique.  Tends to drag them a lot.

The technique was immaculate on that strike though, he even got it to dip, and that ball was coming down from a fair height.

Today I kept thinking back to his comments last season along the lines of ‘put better players around me and I’ll have more assists’ 

Its clear he trusts Wilson and has no faith in Wood, and I can’t really blame him. 

Absolutely delighted he got that goal like. Right up until then it was looking like another one of his after the lord mayor's show performances and then bang, he pulls that out, outstanding. Got wrong for waking up the child. :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Absolutely delighted he got that goal like. Right up until then it was looking like another one of his after the lord mayor's show performances and then bang, he pulls that out, outstanding.

Off the volley right in the corner, was fantastic to nick the point. That said, I know he loves the theatrics but it sure seemed like he fucked up his hamstring on the late counter attack.

10 hours ago, NWMag said:

Today I kept thinking back to his comments last season along the lines of ‘put better players around me and I’ll have more assists’ 

Its clear he trusts Wilson and has no faith in Wood, and I can’t really blame him. 

Had this exact thought yesterday during the game. He seems to actively avoid giving the ball to Wood. I can’t necessarily blame him either, but it is clearly unworkable and if Wood is going to play Maxi needs to form some kind of relationship.

The only thing I can't understand is if we are playing with Wood who is, should we say limited in his approach, then surely we should play with St Max on the right and Miggy on the left so they can ship first time crosses in.

Playing with these popular inverted wingers is all well and good if you have quick intelligent forwards darting about in the box looking for a through ball or creating space for the winger to shoot, but not so good when you have a fairly immobile target man being marked out the game due to his lack of movement.

11 hours ago, TRon said:

The technique was immaculate on that strike though, he even got it to dip, and that ball was coming down from a fair height.

It did come off his shin tho didn't it? Like that 'wonder' Rooney strike

1 hour ago, beardsleymagic said:

The only thing I can't understand is if we are playing with Wood who is, should we say limited in his approach, then surely we should play with St Max on the right and Miggy on the left so they can ship first time crosses in.

Playing with these popular inverted wingers is all well and good if you have quick intelligent forwards darting about in the box looking for a through ball or creating space for the winger to shoot, but not so good when you have a fairly immobile target man being marked out the game due to his lack of movement.

Yep, was thinking that same thing yesterday.  Inverted wingers is a really bad fit with an immobile big man up top