Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Take back anything I've ever said about this lad, didn't think he'd have it in him to adapt but he's proving me wrong. 

Clearly learning to make better decisions and coupling that with a really good work rate too - just needs a goal or 2 to boost his confidence. 

Really pleased for him.

Been so good lately. His game is becoming so well rounded and more efficient.

Another who is really coming along and developing further under some really great coaching from Howe and his team.

Just now, KaKa said:

Been so good lately. His game is becoming so well rounded and more efficient.

Another who is really coming along and developing further under some really great coaching from Howe and his team.

Helps massively that he’s managed to stay fit for a decent period.

Just now, Newcastle Fan said:

It's interesting because i think he's gotten slower and less able to take payers on but because he has much better players around him now its easier for him to create and do his thing.

Yeah, I want him to be a Bellamy or a Suarez, just driving at defenders and relentlessly attacking like he has done before. He’s playing within himself but maybe improved his decision making and he’s getting assists.

3 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

It's interesting because i think he's gotten slower and less able to take payers on but because he has much better players around him now its easier for him to create and do his thing.

I think the only reason he looks slower is because he's less head down now and is looking for passes. He'll find the right balance I'm sure. 

Few times where I was urging him to run at their defense, was a little too unselfish if anything I thought.

He's been class the last two games though and I'm so excited to see him play with Isak again on Saturday.

I'd say if you looked back and watched any games over previous season he was definitely quicker than he is now.

Whether he is like a Owen or Dyer and has had so many Hamstring issues that he is just running at bout 70% out of fear of injury. Or the injuries have just taken their toll and slowed him down. 

Having said that, he is back inform now and playing his best integrated version of himself within Eddie's tactics. Seems he's turned a corner and bought into what the manager is asking him to do.

He's finally getting sufficient game time, plus the excellent coaching from Howe et al - it's "clicking" for him now, and he seems to be finding that sweet spot between taking players on and shooting, and creating for others. Amazing that we now have options across our front three and midfield who are coming into great form when we most need it. Can you imagine us saying that Longstaff and Jacob fucking Murphy would be "excellent" and "undroppable" just 18 months ago? :lol:

Like others have said, Maxi was very good again. Like many other players, he is truly back on form.
It is great to see and hats of to him - he had a very difficult winter and could have easily given up and requested for a transfer. But no, he has tried to adapt his game, taken coaching the right way and is producing the goods like he used to. In a slightly different way, but i don't think it is a bad thing to try and make the correct decisions rather than going 110mph all the time.

Eddie has given him his chance and i think he will get even better with each game now, as he adapts to  this style of play. It must help also that there is now real competition for places. Like others, Maxi must have realized that he is not irreplaceable anymore.

Great stuff, and another right call from Eddie.

Not getting enough love for the quality of assist. 

Jinks into the box with skill and balance, left footed cross right onto the strikers head. Brilliant. Lesser players can’t do that.  You need talent and ability to pull that off. No coincidence since he’s back in the side and finding form that we’re creating golden chances again and scoring more. This is what quality and confidence looks like.  

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Not getting enough love for the quality of assist. 

Jinks into the box with skill and balance, left footed cross right onto the strikers head. Brilliant. Lesser players can’t do that.  You need talent and ability to pull that off. No coincidence since he’s back in the side and finding form that we’re creating golden chances again and scoring more. This is what quality and confidence looks like.  

Weird eh? I think it’s because people sort of expect that he can do that…anyone else in the team does that and there would be a lot more praise

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Thought he was absolutely class yet again. 5 assists for the season now, putting him in the top 10 centile for wingers. He'd have a lot more if our finishing was better as well. 

And if he was fit for the whole season 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Thought he was absolutely class yet again. 5 assists for the season now, putting him in the top 10 centile for wingers. He'd have a lot more if our finishing was better as well. 

Could have had 5 assists in these last 2 games really.

24 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Weird eh? I think it’s because people sort of expect that he can do that…anyone else in the team does that and there would be a lot more praise

Aye.  He’s not going to get the credit but he’s been huge in our upswing in form and goals. He’s laid about 3 chances on a plate over the last 2 games. 

His attacking output is great.  8/10 Whenever he has a bit of space, his attacking output will be great.  

He’s massive for us. 2 assists to get us 1-0 in back to back games.  Stays fit and we are a long way to the CL. 

Loved his assist for the first goal, really electric and gamechanging sort of move, taking a defender out and laying on a perfect cross in a couple of simple movements. I wished he'd scored that chance in the second half too, good save from Fabianski.

I've been really impressed with him in the last ten games or so. Thought he might be finished here but it feels like there's something going on in the squad that makes players want to improve and do better for the team, and it does seem like he's bought into that. Big run in for him, we need his talents, and if he keeps up this form he'll go into next season raring to go.