Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 minute ago, hakka said:

Amazed people want shot of ASM so easily. We need to keep the quality we have and replace the poorer quality players first. For a wide forward position I'd rather move on Ritchie, Fraser or even Murphy ahead of ASM.

We all would, unfortunately those players will bring in a sum of fuck all.

I guess the idea is if FFP is calculated per year based on contract length then getting £35m for someone like ASM can go a long way to increasing our spending power short term.

If (genuine) numbers like £35m+ are being thrown about then I'd honestly let him go. We need to trade and he's valuable, out of contract soon(ish) and injury-prone. He's been mint but I've always classed him as expendable and replaceable

Massively torn.

Really would love to see him get a chance to play for us in the CL, feels he's fully bought in to Howe and knows he's not likely to be moving anywhere better if he does leave. With our lack of quality on the wings, he seems like a must keep?

HOWEVER, if there's a Saudi club coming in offering a generous price for him I don't know how we say no. We're seemingly tight for FFP and selling him would give us some massive breathing room to do business this year. Could probably add two or three very good players and break even this year on FFP from an ASM sale. Give us time to grow our revenue in the next couple of years until we're at the point we don't have to make such moves.

Just now, Shak said:

Massively torn.

Really would love to see him get a chance to play for us in the CL, feels he's fully bought in to Howe and knows he's not likely to be moving anywhere better if he does leave. With our lack of quality on the wings, he seems like a must keep?

HOWEVER, if there's a Saudi club coming in offering a generous price for him I don't know how we say no. We're seemingly tight for FFP and selling him would give us some massive breathing room to do business this year. Could probably add two or three very good players and break even this year on FFP from an ASM sale. Give us time to grow our revenue in the next couple of years until we're at the point we don't have to make such moves.

Can the Saudi’s loan him straight back? :troll:

If hypothetically our budget was only £75m, then how does the Tonali signing contribute to that?

Is it literally just £11m per year for the transfer fee, and then whatever top on wages? Assuming his wages are around £6m a year he's cost us around £17m this season?

I'm sure that's wrong as that would leave us with around £55m to spend, which would mean we could sign around another 3 Tonali's.

Edited by Alberto2005

22 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

We all would, unfortunately those players will bring in a sum of fuck all.

I guess the idea is if FFP is calculated per year based on contract length then getting £35m for someone like ASM can go a long way to increasing our spending power short term.

But that's selling to replace what your selling, sort of defeats the point. It's unlikely we will replace ASM for like for like quality and have money for another player that adds the kind of quality we are aiming for.

1 hour ago, hakka said:

Amazed people want shot of ASM so easily. We need to keep the quality we have and replace the poorer quality players first. For a wide forward position I'd rather move on Ritchie, Fraser or even Murphy ahead of ASM.

He's the only player who hasn't progressed under Eddie.  I can't see him improving and he's too inconsistent.  We were always going to have to sell players to improve this squad and rather him that anyone else tbh.

1 hour ago, hakka said:

Its to do with money more than anything. We could get north of 30m for him and invest it in weak positions LB/RW. We already have Gordon/Isak/Joelinton/Willock who can play that LW. You aint getting much money for Ritchie/Fraser/Murphy

Maxi holds a place in my heart due to the fact he was our talisman when it was gutter shit under Ashley.

I would rather give him one more season to prove himself in terms of fitness and form rather than get rid now. Even if it means this failing and then selling for less money in a year.

I understand this is a sentimental stance and some people would rather sell, invest and go full steam ahead now rather than later.

Honestly I would consider us winning something like the League Cup but finishing 5th/6th in the league next season as steady trajectory. We won't have Liverpool and Chelsea being that crap again this year anyway. Hence why I would like to see him given one final chance.

Edited by Amir_9

Let him go to Saudi for £100 million, the complaints from the other EPL clubs will be glorious.

Us fans could even chuck in some fake sympathy on Talksport. "Well I suppose if he's getting first team football every week it's a good move" just as Hayden, Hendrick and Fraser are signing deals worth £30 million each.

From what I understand of our FFP position, we do need to raise some revenue if we're going to strengthen the squad as much as we can this window. ASM is the only one who would fetch a significant fee. For me, the decision is clear.

And aside from his injury problems, yes I do think he's over-rated. 

3 minutes ago, Cronky said:

From what I understand of our FFP position, we do need to raise some revenue if we're going to strengthen the squad as much as we can this window. ASM is the only one who would fetch a significant fee. For me, the decision is clear.

And aside from his injury problems, yes I do think he's over-rated. 

If they can get a reasonable fee I think they’ll sell but that’s been the issue but the Saudi option would get over the fee issue it seems. If he can stay fit which is his major issue I think he could play a prominent role this season particularly in the champions league. I do have my doubts about his fitness but in general I’m pretty laid back about whether he stays or goes really.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

I believe our new and better coaching/physio/sporting setup can help Maxi keep fit. And when fit and in form he's great. The level he performed against Manchester City was just fantastic. It might be unrealistic to think that can happen regulary, but i really rate him. 
If he can stay fit, i rate him above most other left wingers.

Edited by matta

24 minutes ago, matta said:

I believe our new and better coaching/physio/sporting setup can help Maxi keep fit. And when fit and in form he's great. The level he performed against Manchester City was just fantastic. It might be unrealistic to think that can happen regulary, but i really rate him. 
If he can stay fit, i rate him above most other left wingers.

That was one game through the whole season. Yes he has got better creating chances but for me he just isn’t available enough. If selling Maxi meant we could get another 2 possibly 3 quality players surely it’s worth it. 

1 hour ago, Toonjam88 said:

That was one game through the whole season. Yes he has got better creating chances but for me he just isn’t available enough. If selling Maxi meant we could get another 2 possibly 3 quality players surely it’s worth it. 

Agreed - no brainier for me personally.

It's a bit of nonsense thinking we're going to get 2/3 quality players from the supposed £35 million he'd bring in. Yes he's a saleable asset, no the money gained likely won't get you someone of a similar level. Keep and play, shouldn't really be a consideration unless a better winger falls into our lap.

If Saudi offer 40m+ for Maxi, you take it. Its too much money for an unreliable player. If massively helps our FFP. 

We can replace him and set ourselves up nicely for other windows.

Yeah, you can’t replace ASM with £30-35m. I see no reason to create another hole in the squad just because he’s a lazy French cunt according to some.