Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

3 minutes ago, JP said:

'The only thing Barnes does better is score goals' [emoji38]

Much like the movie 'Moneyball' barnes appears to be a player that 'gets on base'. Where as on the face of it ASM is by far the superior superstar player but that doesn't always translate to 'getting on base'. 

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

He will probably have more as he will start. Plus he is a better chance to actually put the ball in the net. You need goals in huge games you know. They are actually more important than step overs and mazy runs.

People seem to ignore that the mazy runs often end up in him just running the ball into traffic and then either getting dispossessed or going backwards. If he had the instinct to release the ball earlier instead of trying to just beat one more player he would be dynamite.

My intention isn't to slag him off here, but we really should appreciate just because the likes of Barnes aren't as flamboyant, it doesn't mean they don't have ability.

Been expecting this for a while now. But I’ll still be really sad if/when he leaves. 

My favourite players growing up and over the years have been Asprilla, Robert, Martins (to a lesser degree), HBA and then ASM. So I’ve always been a fan of the inconsistent rogues that can split opinion in the fanbase. 

I totally understand the decision if the club and Howe have decided to move him on. But I’ll miss the fucker. 

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

People seem to ignore that the mazy runs often end up in him just running the ball into traffic and then either getting dispossessed or going backwards. If he had the instinct to release the ball earlier instead of trying to just beat one more player he would be dynamite.

My intention isn't to slag him off here, but we really should appreciate just because the likes of Barnes aren't as flamboyant, it doesn't mean they don't have ability.

The idea that ASM plays anything like this is pure fiction imo like. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

You cited ASM goal scoring record from last season. I referred to Isak's the season before he signed for us. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12920431/summer-transfer-window-2023-who-has-signed-for-saudia-arabia-clubs-roberto-firmino-ruben-neves-karim-benzema-and-more#:~:text=Ruben Neves%2C Karim Benzema and Roberto Firmino have signed for,offers - and more will follow. 

£40-50m for him is probably the equivalent of selling him for £30m in Europe/PL. 

In response to your "watch this one single game that proves his value". I know some single games that would suggest that Maxi should be given away for free.

Anyways given his injury record I'd rather sign Ruben Neves for the same price. There's a reason as to why the top teams in Europe are not trying to sign ASM.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

The idea that ASM plays anything like this is pure fiction imo like. 

Yeah he really doesn't dribble that much, he likes to release the ball early

Screenshot_20230718_172734_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d124618a136d0c914d8c42b33b995880.jpg

Just now, Erikse said:

In response to your "watch this one single game that proves his value". I know some single games that would suggest that Maxi should be given away for free.

Anyways given his injury record I'd rather sign Ruben Neves for the same price. There's a reason as to why the top teams in Europe are not trying to sign ASM.

anyone with a cursory knowledge would know there have been other games where he has shown an ability to compete at a high level and cause problems for the very best teams. 

Given the wage increase we’ve given Tonali wages for ASM are likely to be an obstacle for top teams. 

I'll be gutted to see him go tbh, I have a soft spot for French mercurial talent, would have liked to have seen him play with an equal danger player on the right. Yes, his end product is questionable and yes he can be frustrating but the space he brings to other players by dragging 2 or 3 players with him to the corner was invaluable and there's no player I'd rather see full tilt running at a defence on the counter and putting players on their arse. He's one of the most entertaining players I've ever seen when he's on one.

All these other ‘mercurial’ talents that people go on about us having in recent years, Robert, Ben Arfa, Ginola, Asprilla all had 1 thing that ASM doesn’t and that’s actual output. 

1 minute ago, KDT said:

All these other ‘mercurial’ talents that people go on about us having in recent years, Robert, Ben Arfa, Ginola, Asprilla all had 1 thing that ASM doesn’t and that’s actual output. 

They also played alongside far superior players that actually converted the chances they created. If I’m not mistaken Maxi ranks really high for chances created during his years here?

EDIT: Last season not included since he was unavailable for large parts of it. Fully fit he’d probably have had double digits assists last year with Wilson, Miggy and Isak firing them in. 

Edited by clintdempsey