Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 hour ago, duo said:

..and you know that...how?

Well, you'd think a higher offer would have been accepted and as fun a place as Saudi Arabia must be at night you'd think he'd prefer anything else.

That said, it's always possible the fee was lower but the wages way higher so he insisted.

3 minutes ago, McDog said:

Well, you'd think a higher offer would have been accepted and as fun a place as Saudi Arabia must be at night you'd think he'd prefer anything else.

That said, it's always possible the fee was lower but the wages way higher so he insisted.

What we do know is that he wanted a new contract on higher wages at Newcastle. If another club in Europe had stepped in and offered that I think he'd have gone there.

That fee is shocking no matter who we get it from. 

It's bordering on insulting that it's coming from a club controlled by our own owners especially when they're paying double that for our rivals deadwood.

Just now, gjohnson said:

That fee is shocking no matter who we get it from. 

It's bordering on insulting that it's coming from a club controlled by our own owners especially when they're paying double that for our rivals deadwood.

It's shocking because we expected to get an inflated fee from our Saudi brothers. Other than that it's quite informative that there wasn't more interest from normal clubs if the fee is shockingly low. Why would they miss out?

I think the injury record is probably more of a factor than we realise.

2 minutes ago, Aiston said:

And not one other team in for him at that price :lol:

There were rumours that Napoli wanted him too but yeah seriously, for that price you'd imagine the teams coming up from the Championship would take a punt. 

Just now, Amir_9 said:

That is the shocking thing for me. I just don't buy that could have possibly been the case here. 

Only way is if his agent watched as shit ton of wages were offered and they are the only team that would do that. 

Edited by McDog

8 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

There were rumours that Napoli wanted him too but yeah seriously, for that price you'd imagine the teams coming up from the Championship would take a punt. 

Would they be able to give him the sort of contract he was looking for from us? I would think it would be around 100k/week at least. Not many clubs around the world can justify that, and the ones which can usually can afford a better version.

He was actually signed by us under Mike Ashley let's not forget, his stock wasn't that high even then considering he was playing at a reasonably high level.

All those clubs willing to pay significantly more just sat silent for some reason, and missed out on a bargain apparently.

The lad didn't have suitors lined up - he's injury-prone and produces intermittently.  Yes, he's fantastically entertaining to watch when he's on his game - but how often is that?  Managers don't pay for entertainment - they want players who are fit and hurt the opposition.

I'm glad I got to watch ASM in a B&W shirt - he really was a beacon during some dark late-Ashley era days.  But it really is onwards and upwards - the club isn't any longer lower-midtable dross which needs enlivening from a maverick.  Winning is the order of the day now - and there isn't much in football more entertaining than winning.

No European club was going to get near the wages on offer from Saudi so we'll never know how much they may have been prepared to pay for him. I'd be staggered if it's not at least £30 million, despite all the noise.