Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Sad to see him go.  He was a shining light under Bruce and when he was on form and fit he was absolutely electric and a joy to watch.

Memories include how good he was vs Man City last season and scoring that wonder volley vs Wolves but he was the complete difference maker in games against Bournemouth (a), West Ham (h) and in particular Burnley (a) under Bruce during lockdown when we were desperate for anything to give us some future in the Premier League.

I won't miss our fans on here and in SJP constantly questioning his attitude or making him a scapegoat based on little reason.

Thanks for the good times Allan

Edited by joeyt

1 minute ago, brummie said:

How long did he have left on his contract?

Not paid much attention to this thread but £23m seems insanely cheap. 

3 years left on his current deal.

That tweet says everything. 

Struggle to believe people wanted to be negative about a player who is as honest and passionate about loving this club. I've always seen the passion in him, you see the same in Bruno, their emotion pours onto the pitch and their environment. Not many players will bless Saint James Park like these types of players, we should cherish them.

4 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Struggle to believe people wanted to be negative about a player who is as honest and passionate about loving this club. I've always seen the passion in him, you see the same in Bruno, their emotion pours onto the pitch and their environment. Not many players will bless Saint James Park like these types of players, we should cherish them.

For some it most definitely is a love affair! :smitten:

27 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

If he was playing injured then my god he must be more crocked than we think … must have missed 40 games + and was injured whilst playing

I'll be sour about this one for a while. Far far too many others needed to leave before this guy needed sold. If there was one player that deserved to have a shot at being part of our new success it is him.

I understand the FFP wiggle room and all but it just makes me disdain the likes of Frasier, Hendrick etc for not being of value close enough to sell to get us something in order to be able to free up more funds to spend. Fucking useless knackers, hope they anguish at some crap Championship sides forever.

Edited by Amir_9

5 minutes ago, Amir_9 said:

I'll be sour about this one for a while. Far far too many others needed to leave before this guy needed sold. If there was one player that deserved to have a shot at being part of our new success it is him.

I understand the FFP wiggle room and all but it just makes me disdain the likes of Frasier, Hendrick etc for not being of value close enough to sell to get us something in order to be able to free up more funds to spend. Knackers.

Whilst the players mentioned aren't good enough, this is a symptom of the way the club was previously managed. I liked Saint-Maximin, but I just have to trust that the club will be smart and invest in players that longer term fit the way we want to play and when we do have to sell again we're not giving players away for free to get them off the books. 

For Fraser we actively targeted him due to his contract situation, at the time it would seem like a good deal due to the lack of a transfer fee so gave him a 5 year contract, but obviously it hasn't worked out. It was the same for Hendrick, a four year deal and free transfer, being hailed as great business with him being an experienced international by the manager. In all honesty, the window of 2020/21, Wilson aside, was shocking. We had enough funds to make a 'blow out' signing and the rest were attempted bargains under that management which at this stage has left us vulnerable because we've got dead wood. 

13 minutes ago, robbo_11 said:

Whilst the players mentioned aren't good enough, this is a symptom of the way the club was previously managed. I liked Saint-Maximin, but I just have to trust that the club will be smart and invest in players that longer term fit the way we want to play and when we do have to sell again we're not giving players away for free to get them off the books. 

For Fraser we actively targeted him due to his contract situation, at the time it would seem like a good deal due to the lack of a transfer fee so gave him a 5 year contract, but obviously it hasn't worked out. It was the same for Hendrick, a four year deal and free transfer, being hailed as great business with him being an experienced international by the manager. In all honesty, the window of 2020/21, Wilson aside, was shocking. We had enough funds to make a 'blow out' signing and the rest were attempted bargains under that management which at this stage has left us vulnerable because we've got dead wood. 

who hailed Hendrick as great business? :lol:

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

37 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

who hailed Hendrick as great business? :lol:

Steve Bruce. At the time the club just gaslit the fans into thinking this was a brilliant piece of business or bargain. We're always desperate for signings so you can make it seem attractive.

It was a really underwhelming window and we're paying for that now. Ironically same window Lewis came in and he's just went out on loan.

That really seems like a bargain. Would love to get someone in of that quality for that price. Surprised no French clubs moved in. Have to admit, I really don't understand the Gordon/Barnes/Saint-Maximin business, but that's why i'm not a sporting director.