Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 hour ago, ohmelads said:

All fair points about his injuries, but Fabinho just had a very poor season showing visible decline and is going for £40m at 29 years old. Yes, he was once a top level player with medals to show for it, but his stock is now far lower and I can't see any other interest in him this summer. 

I thought Barnes for ASM would make financial sense based on the structure of the two deals and them being similar fees, but if reports are correct, it's a net £15m loss. If we're doing it for a quick transfer kitty boost based on amortisation of the Barnes fee, then we're borrowing against out future windows and that's a very short term fix which will catch up with us and affect us in every window. Considering the pressing needs in other areas of the squad, this one makes less sense now IF these reported fees are true. 

How about you let the board do their bit and stop worrying 

2 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Just built up the courage to watch this. Ah man.

The idea of how happy he must have been at the end of last season with CL qualification secured, man. God damn it all.

Seemed like the tide of opinion was turning on ASM, but he's truly a special player, never really seen anyone like him. Just joyful footballer. It'd have been amazing to see him win something with us, and it's a shame the majority of his moments came at an otherwise soulless time for the club. I hope he's remembered fondly.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The idea of how happy he must have been at the end of last season with CL qualification secured, man. God damn it all.

It's a shame he won't get the chance to miss so many important games.

3 minutes ago, gazzatoon said:

Pretty tragic that he's chosen to leave NUFC for Saudi Arabia league. 

Said it before but I'm pretty sure he was eased on his way over there. He would have stayed here if we wanted him to

11 hours ago, Mike said:

The real downside of having to sell players to fund upgrades for me. ASM would have relished the CL nights, would probably have done well in them too.

14 hours ago, huss9 said:

loved Maxi but the squad overall will be better for him leaving as its possibly allowed us to bring in another 2 or 3 decent players.

Possibly, hopefully.

It certainly isn't better for him leaving so far, and even if the squad becomes more effective at some point, the excitement/joy he brought feels like it would be harder to replace.

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Quite like .com's little ode to him, which is overall just about bang on.

Was just coming here to say the same. 

I think there's probably more to this transfer than meets the eye - the Saudi connection, the dubiously low fee, the plausible suggestion that he was encouraged to leave - but it's definitely nice to see a "hero's" goodbye, so to speak, compared to the ugliness and anxiety associated with departures during the Ashley years. The coverage of this move is another reminder of how we've changed as a club. 

21 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Too easy. A lot of these players will be clamoring to come back immediately after the novelty of making 200 or 300 or whatever wears off. 

Edited by cubaricho

28 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Too easy. A lot of these players will be clamoring to come back immediately after the novelty of making 200 or 300 or whatever wears off. 

Would get dull as fuck making 200k-300k a week.

40 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

If they actually have to live in KSA rather than Dubai or Bahrain - that's when it will wear off

10 minutes ago, McDog said:

Would get dull as fuck making 200k-300k a week.

I know what you mean but you’d hope that some of these dudes, especially the ones in the middle of their careers like Maxi, will accept the payday and then quickly be like fuck this. It’s literal pub league level quality stuff and it will bore them to death (you’d imagine anyway). 

A year, maybe two, for a lot of these dudes I’d bet. Then back amongst the actual competitive leagues again. 

3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I know what you mean but you’d hope that some of these dudes, especially the ones in the middle of their careers like Maxi, will accept the payday and then quickly be like fuck this. It’s literal pub league level quality stuff and it will bore them to death (you’d imagine anyway). 

A year, maybe two, for a lot of these dudes I’d bet. Then back amongst the actual competitive leagues again. 

I totally understand that. Depends on how long you want to pad the bank account before bailing.  @TheBrownBottle is 100% right though. My top 10 places I never ever want to live in KSA is about 4th or 5th. How long could one stand that? That should factor in.