Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Teams with good full backs will look to target the shxt out of him. Massive liability providing very little defensive cover. He assisted our second goal which is good to see but his half arsing defensive work played a big part for Burnley’s goal and we were under much pressure after that

40 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

He just doesn't look happy. Seems to spend the 90 minutes now, just moaning, waving his arms and looking really glum. 

And feigning injury.Sometimes these mystery injuries result in him limping off.Too many things wrong in his game ( mind) if we’re looking to threaten the top 6 either next season or the season after.

12 minutes ago, kenlau88210 said:

Teams with good full backs will look to target the shxt out of him. Massive liability providing very little defensive cover. He assisted our second goal which is good to see but his half arsing defensive work played a big part for Burnley’s goal and we were under much pressure after that

Spot on.

1 hour ago, kenlau88210 said:

Yet when we took him off we were much more vulnerable at the back and had no attacking threat. Curious. 

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yet when we took him off we were much more vulnerable at the back and had no attacking threat. Curious. 

Think we looked a little more vulnerable at the back because Burnley were fighting for their lives at the end and not because we took ASM off mind.

2 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Think we looked a little more vulnerable at the back because Burnley were fighting for their lives at the end and not because we took ASM off mind.

Bit weird that it was all down that side.

Guest reefatoon
17 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Bit weird that it was all down that side.

We changed our formation when he went off and went more with 2 up top and nobody really out there. 

Always think it’s a bit of a double edged sword taking him off with the team as it is. Obviously it’s done to ‘shore up’ but he’s generally our only threat on the counter so taking him off seems to invite even more pressure. 

He truly is an enigma, I honestly don’t know my thoughts on next season with him. Part of me says he’s a liability and the other half would love to see him in a more balanced side with quality across the attacking line. Trust in Eddie I suppose. 

He needs competition for the place, he's clearly a streaky confidence player, if he came off bench against tired legs a few games and got some assists and goals that way might get him back to his best. He will likely want to leave I suspect if he does get serious competition but that's on him. I love him, he can be wonderful to watch and I will never get all the flack he got under Bruce when the whole weight of having to actually do something in a game hung on him, but he's an odd fit under Howe and I would like him to be a part of the new world I think it would be better for him, and he would get less stick, if he was the kind of player who could give us a spark when we needed it but could be benched when we just need to grind a result out.

He’s shown in the last few weeks that he can look up more and pass more, especially with a decent striker to link up with. 

The bigger issue is his defending, which I doubt he can ever improve. Question is whether we can account for that somehow. 

4 hours ago, reefatoon said:

He just doesn't look happy. Seems to spend the 90 minutes now, just moaning, waving his arms and looking really glum. 

thought he looked happier at burnley.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He’s shown in the last few weeks that he can look up more and pass more, especially with a decent striker to link up with. 

The bigger issue is his defending, which I doubt he can ever improve. Question is whether we can account for that somehow. 

Big Joe has covered that side really well over the last few months. 

Guest reefatoon
2 minutes ago, Smal said:

Completed the 18th most sprints in the league this season which is pretty good for a lazy bastard.

Sprints forward. It’s the standing still with his arms in the air after losing the ball or being tackled, while they attack which makes him more the lazy bastard.

Probably because he spends his energy getting us up the pitch?

Yesterday was a good example when he went off. None of our other forwards progress the ball forward.

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

Sprints forward. It’s the standing still with his arms in the air after losing the ball or being tackled, while they attack which makes him more the lazy bastard.

Yes loses his position in the defensive unit, exposing us to the counter and still he’s gesticulating,  that’s the French for you! [emoji38] 

3 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

ASM doesn’t want to defend,so rarely does.I don’t suppose Wood and Wilson want to help out the defence either,but being team players they do.That attitude is no good if we’re to progress next season.

That’s why Howe could replace him. Lack of positional discipline, he wants us moving up and down the pitch in unison, both in attack and importantly in defence, as a solid unit.

Howe is a very detail oriented coach, he's the exact opposite of Steve Bruce. I imagine he wants players to do certain things, move in specific directions, and the team to advance or defend in unison. I just don't think someone like ASM is the type to follow instruction, he plays off the cuff. I just don't see how it works long term, not with this manager.

And yeah, I know ASM is trying to pass more, but he still does it reluctantly, as a result he'll often miss the early pass which is usually the one which catches defences off guard.

8 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:
12 minutes ago, TRon said:

Howe is a very detail oriented coach, he's the exact opposite of Steve Bruce. I imagine he wants players to do certain things, move in specific directions, and the team to advance or defend in unison. I just don't think someone like ASM is the type to follow instruction, he plays off the cuff. I just don't see how it works long term, not with this manager.

And yeah, I know ASM is trying to pass more, but he still does it reluctantly, as a result he'll often miss the early pass which is usually the one which catches defences off guard.

He slows the play down when team mates are up with him.The quick pass for Wilson’s goal was a one off.

I’m just imagining the scouting report coming back on him with Bruce just in the door.. “eh Steve, we can sign this lad who’s got bags of talent and will bail the team out on his own in some games.. but the thing is, he’s basically uncoachable..”

Steve Bruce “has no interest in being coached and I’ve no interest in coaching him.. he’s perfect!”

He showed more in the last 2 games than he did since Everton (H) to show he's more than capable of the task in the proper system. He's the least of our worries, now, if we're convinced we can sell him for X and sign a wide forward or winger who is going to be better for roughly the same price of more - then I'm all ears. But i dont think we need to constantly just sell people and not have any depth. We're not a shitely run cheap club anymore.