Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

there's no fucking way he starts at Leicester, btw. unless there are injuries, I can't see him starting many games.

the writing is on the wall for his career here under Howe. we'll sign someone more suited to the team and he'll get shifted. and it'll be the best thing for both parties.

12 minutes ago, Big River said:

there's no fucking way he starts at Leicester, btw. unless there are injuries, I can't see him starting many games.

the writing is on the wall for his career here under Howe. we'll sign someone more suited to the team and he'll get shifted. and it'll be the best thing for both parties.

What writing are you talking about? He started the first four league games and played 90mins in three of them (74mins in the other). The only reason he didn't continue in the team was because he then got injured. 

6 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

What writing are you talking about? He started the first four league games and played 90mins in three of them (74mins in the other). The only reason he didn't continue in the team was because he then got injured. 

well yeah, his injury record is a factor. also the fact he's now behind Willock, Joelinton, and potentially even Jacob fkn Murphy for that LW position.

guess we'll see eh?

Howe has shown he won't change a winning team but after a loss or 2 he'll rightly be back in the starting line up.  He had a very good start to the season before getting injured and has barely played since.  Don't understand how some people think we've outgrown him or should get rid.

He doesn't have to start every game, but Howe has to find a way to integrate him into the setup so that we're effective as a team when he does play.

His performance against Man City this season, man. That's the level of talent he has. Can't waste that. 

37 minutes ago, Big River said:

well yeah, his injury record is a factor. also the fact he's now behind Willock, Joelinton, and potentially even Jacob fkn Murphy for that LW position.

guess we'll see eh?

My man is raging about Maxi today :lol: 

I’ve read your two posts above as you just yelling 

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

My man is raging about Maxi today :lol: 

I’ve read your two posts above as you just yelling 

:lol: I find him so frustrating because he's so capable, on his day. he should be one of the best players in world football, but for various reasons I don't think he'll ever get there.

Your first post was the first thing I read waking up this morning and I immediately laughed. 

I agree with you. I want him to be our main man. Wanted him to be coming on for France in the World Cup final ffs. It should be him. 

If anyone can focus him it's wor Eddie. He just has to be willing.

In a funny way the best plan might be to start preparing him now for a situation where we're a better team in the future. Give him some minutes, work on his all-round game, let him know what the expectations will be. And allow the team to develop around him.

A lot depends on his fitness too obviously. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Kieron Dyer said recently on the True Geordie podcast that the problem with the England team and English media is that we focus too much on what players can’t do, instead of focusing on what they can do. He said this in the context of playing Trent against lesser teams like Wales and USA in the World Cup. But I think his point applies to us. 

Saint-Maximin can do an awful lot that other players can’t. Let’s just let Eddie figure out how to  bring his strengths to the fore whilst masking his weaknesses in the team, and let’s just celebrate what he can do for us. 

22 minutes ago, greydos said:

Kieron Dyer said recently on the True Geordie podcast that the problem with the England team and English media is that we focus too much on what players can’t do, instead of focusing on what they can do. He said this in the context of playing Trent against lesser teams like Wales and USA in the World Cup. But I think his point applies to us. 

Saint-Maximin can do an awful lot that other players can’t. Let’s just let Eddie figure out how to  bring his strengths to the fore whilst masking his weaknesses in the team, and let’s just celebrate what he can do for us. 

I don’t think this really works when it comes to playing a high press though. Either you press as a team or you don’t, if you have holes in your press then you get picked apart.

8 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Walker seems to have recovered well but I honestly thought that game was the start of a very fast decline. It was painful to see at times.

I think ASM was just on it to be honest. Walker had no choice but to back off him and they ended up brining Rodri/Stones/Bernardo over to help foul him. Totally unplayable that day.

This is the same Stones/Walker combo that kept Mbappé almost completely anonymous at the World Cup.

City were really arrogant against us and ASM in particular, mind.  They regularly left Walker totally exposed 1 on 1 against ASM.  There aren't many defenders in world football who could handle him when on form and with basically the entire flank to attack.  Which is why basically every team we play doubles and even trebles up on him, at times. 

I think there was a good analysis piece put together by one of the Twitter statto types.  Explaining the setup and Howe being brave with the press and where he left players high, to expose that space on the counter.  

Like, don't the City fullbacks often tuck into a kind of central role when they build attacks in possession.  Leaving a lot of room if you nick the ball back and a lot of ground to make up for Walker or the left back. 

EDIT - not taking anything away from ASM.  As he was unstoppable that day and looking back at those highlights.  They did start trying to get a midfielder across to help out.  But he still kept taking the piss :lol: 

Edited by Lush Vlad

56 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I don’t think this really works when it comes to playing a high press though. Either you press as a team or you don’t, if you have holes in your press then you get picked apart.

That’s why Eddie adjusts the team. We don’t press the same with Maxi as we do with Big Jow out on the left. It’s different tactics which can be successful. You don’t need a unified press against all teams as not all teams try to play out from the back intricately. Many just play into full back to play channel ball, which is another successful tactic of ours as with our 3x centre backs we’re likely to win the ball back albeit with possession in our half not the final third, but the modest press has still been successful in turning possession over

8 hours ago, Big River said:

:lol: I find him so frustrating because he's so capable, on his day. he should be one of the best players in world football, but for various reasons I don't think he'll ever get there.

Think if he doesn't click early on his head drops too easily, wish he could find some consistency as on his day hes unplayable.

Also wish he wouldn't act as if hes broken his leg every time he loses the ball.

It’s nice to see Miggy coming across to the left side and putting a cross in occasionally. I’d like to see ASM do that on the right now and again.

I think our next evolution will be players changing positions temporarily to confuse the defenders. 

Before he got injured Maxi was doing very well i thought.

He was less gung ho in the sense of going for glory himself and was looking for a way to get the ball to a teammate more often than he used to.

Then he got injured. But as said above, Howe will figure out how to get the best out of him in his system.

But further down the pecking order than Murphy? Nah :lol:

I was thinking the other day that we should maybe move him on for his own sake - our fans are never going to collectively warm to him. Then it dawned on me that we're only going to see more of his type over the next decade, meaning more whinging pricks in the east stand. GERRIN.

2 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Before he got injured Maxi was doing very well i thought.

He was less gung ho in the sense of going for glory himself and was looking for a way to get the ball to a teammate more often than he used to.

Then he got injured. But as said above, Howe will figure out how to get the best out of him in his system.

But further down the pecking order than Murphy? Nah :lol:

Aye, feel like he was on course to have his best season for us. And, as you pointed out, seemed to be showing signs of being more of team player. If I remember rightly his injury was likely caused by him busting a gut chasing back for the Wolve/Jimenze goal that was ultimately ruled out for offside.