Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

2 minutes ago, TRC said:

Isak will replace Wilson long term. ASM its hard to fit him in when everyone is available, I actually prefer Joelinton on the left over him.

Really, we have seen Joelinton play out wide left and it wasn’t pretty. Leave Jo where he is and replace ASM if he can’t stay fit. We can’t play half a season relying on stand in’s.

On 15/12/2022 at 23:03, Johnny said:

Reading this thread, no wonder that we stagnated as a club. We hounded out our best players/managers just for having a little poor form. Happened with Ben Arfa, Roberts, Dyer, and worst of all Sir Bobby Robson himself.

Why would you want to sell one of our best players to rival club like West Ham, Villa, Everton, or even Man United when we still have so much garbage to dispose off?

Just been doing the exact same thing, its worrying because I really don't want us to become a club where players are like commodities, under valued? With the fans that can be fickle on days like where this lad has played vs Man City, he was the best play on both sides, showing he's top level, then they'll back him, but also still say things like, "But he needs to produce that every week" consistency for any player isn't easy. I think because he's such a technically gifted player theres over expectations all the time.

I love all our players if I'm honest, theres clearly five or six that I can see not having a future here, and I have equally called players out, I understand why some say Wilson needs to be replaced, he does get injured for months out of a season, but he's still a top finisher, you'd always have him start if he's fit, and he's at the later end of his career now, ASM is only 25. 

ASM is categorically not one of the players to get rid of, he's a game changer, he loves our fans, he loves this club, so it would be nice if we backed him. I still believe we're fortunate to have him. For me personally it would feel like losing Ginola or HBA all over again. We love these entertaining players they've always been a part of our make up.

I hope that now we've become a wealthy club, it doesn't divide the fans up, with the uncaring types who'll just call for a players head off the back of a few injuries or weak form.

I think were a better fan base than that.

The difference is ASM isn't on the same level as Ben Arfa and Ginola who were world class players. We should see ourselves as a top 6/7 club. This is more of us out growing the player, rather than a dinosaur of a manager not knowing how to get the best out of a player.

He was unplayable at home to City and looked set for a big season. Definitely was a difference in his game and  was looking for the pass a lot more. Needs a good 2nd half of the season, or could well be sacrificed if someone is willing to gamble on him and pay a decent fee.

Guest reefatoon
56 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Really, we have seen Joelinton play out wide left and it wasn’t pretty. Leave Jo where he is and replace ASM if he can’t stay fit. We can’t play half a season relying on stand in’s.

We are third in the league doing exactly that. The stand ins have been more than capable and massively played their part.

25 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Just been doing the exact same thing, its worrying because I really don't want us to become a club where players are like commodities, under valued? With the fans that can be fickle on days like where this lad has played vs Man City, he was the best play on both sides, showing he's top level, then they'll back him, but also still say things like, "But he needs to produce that every week" consistency for any player isn't easy. I think because he's such a technically gifted player theres over expectations all the time.

I love all our players if I'm honest, theres clearly five or six that I can see not having a future here, and I have equally called players out, I understand why some say Wilson needs to be replaced, he does get injured for months out of a season, but he's still a top finisher, you'd always have him start if he's fit, and he's at the later end of his career now, ASM is only 25. 

ASM is categorically not one of the players to get rid of, he's a game changer, he loves our fans, he loves this club, so it would be nice if we backed him. I still believe we're fortunate to have him. For me personally it would feel like losing Ginola or HBA all over again. We love these entertaining players they've always been a part of our make up.

I hope that now we've become a wealthy club, it doesn't divide the fans up, with the uncaring types who'll just call for a players head off the back of a few injuries or weak form.

I think were a better fan base than that.

Was that a serious post you've responded to?

Thought it was a wummery. Sir Bobby wasn't hounded out, nor was Ben Arfa and Dyer had been next to useless for 3years which was about a third of his career as it turned out. Whilst Robert was hounded out by an idiot of a manager and the previous owner had a little something to do with the stagnation as I recall.

Edited by Wolfcastle

2 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I seem to recall Bobby's team got booed in the last home game in his full season, when we finished fifth?

That entire season we just didnt have it, it was a weak PL and we drew a lot of games we just couldnt kill teams off. At the time most fans wanted Robson 'moved upstairs'

I still blame Thomas Gravesen for everything that happened to Robson and that team.

40 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I seem to recall Bobby's team got booed in the last home game in his full season, when we finished fifth?

And is that hounding out?

Some people booed after we lost to Grimsby after winning 15straight under Keegan.

I definitely recall a third full Old Trafford staying behind to applaud Man U around the pitch in 2005 after being beaten and booed off against Chelsea. Was that hounding Sir Alex out?

We got booed off many times under Sir Bobby. 2000/01 was a horrible season with some of the worst games I'd seen. Why is it always the Wolves game?

That's not hounding out otherwise every set of fans everywhere does it to every manager.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, TRC said:

The difference is ASM isn't on the same level as Ben Arfa and Ginola who were world class players. We should see ourselves as a top 6/7 club. This is more of us out growing the player, rather than a dinosaur of a manager not knowing how to get the best out of a player.

We have outgrown quite a few players and ASM is pretty far down the list of those. He's having a rough time staying fit but I don't see it as a permanent problem yet.

Still a place for ASM but it’s not as a guaranteed starter in this side. We simply play too high up to pitch to get the best out of him, and that’s not even taking into account his fitness unreliability. Not that I could care less in truth because we’re a far better side now.

4 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Was that a serious post you've responded to?

Thought it was a wummery. Sir Bobby wasn't hounded out, nor was Ben Arfa and Dyer had been next to useless for 3years which was about a third of his career as it turned out. Whilst Robert was hounded out by an idiot of a manager and the previous owner had a little something to do with the stagnation as I recall.

Depends what context you read it in. I was responding to the post that was basically saying I cant believe what I'm reading regards to ASM and people think its sensible to flog him. all the other stuff, I can see the points, because some fans did get on HBAs back also.

Bobby I'm not sure, the dressing room youth at the time Dyer,Bellamy, Bramble, they helped Bobby's reign end, but knowing what we all know, Bobby would never have been well enough, it was a sad exit, but he'll always be cherished by us all.

5 hours ago, TRC said:

It's all very similar though, HBA,Ginola you say were world class, but both were rarely picked for the national side. ASM in the minority here still being uncapped, but still has age on his side (so who knows). All three also have made their name by making a move and becoming loved again as all three seemed to come with alleged rumours they were difficult to manage in France.

You mention we should see ourselves as a top 6 club already? We've literally just come out of a season surviving relegation and then into a season where if we are totally honest, we are slightly over achieving, were not a consistent top 6/7 side over night, I think you're running before you can walk, were flying in the league but that could easily change, reading that reply how we can or should out grow good players sounds arrogant at this stage. I'm glad the owners actually have a plan, because it will be slow progress I think, so if you're expecting them to replace players over night I think you'll be disappointed.

I dont want to come over as a total dickhead with this reply, but I think a lot of our members here and fans alike should cut the guy some slack, he's brilliant on his day.

7 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

He was unplayable at home to City and looked set for a big season. Definitely was a difference in his game and  was looking for the pass a lot more. Needs a good 2nd half of the season, or could well be sacrificed if someone is willing to gamble on him and pay a decent fee.

Yes, there is so much going on around the club. injuries aside a tidal wave of good news, that the City performance and Wolves goal are easily forgotten. 

The stats people, Wey Aye Scout Kev and Sanjay on Twitter, both said Almiron's numbers were all up BEFORE he went on the scoring run. Kev's first article on the NUFC.co.uk website now looks like prophecy. The reason I'm saying this is that pre injury this season, ASM's production numbers were all up and were leading the side. Shot creating actions per minute played etc. The classic ASM criticism has always been "fancy tricks with not enough end product", but in those first games in 22/23, he was the biggest attacking contributor to the team. If (I want to say "Since") we have become a Top 4 team, we're going to have to play against probably 10-12 out of 19 teams in a low block. That will shut down the counter and space in behind, so dribbling past or through them will only become more useful. 

This last time may prove to be an injury too far for ASM, you never know, but he was looking promising before it, and promising in a Howe team way, not a "give to to him on the halfway line and pray" Steve Bruce way.

If some on here think he can gaslight me on the SBR case, dream on.

I was there where some fans booed him and the team. And I clearly remember that some of the fans want him sacke as manager (or move up the club hierarchy -whatever wording you prefer).

And I think we got ourselves cursed by the way we treated SBR. 14 years of curse.

11 hours ago, TRC said:

That entire season we just didnt have it, it was a weak PL and we drew a lot of games we just couldnt kill teams off. At the time most fans wanted Robson 'moved upstairs'

I still blame Thomas Gravesen for everything that happened to Robson and that team.

Bringing in only Lee Bowyer in the summer didn't help whilst Chelsea got Abramovich and signed every player under the sun. 

12 hours ago, TRC said:

Was that the Bernard foul? I remember being utterly incandescent with rage after that. Sure they won a pen as Bernard was still crumpled in a heap as well...

VAR is good afterall!

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

Players,like managers, either outgrow the team or the team outgrows them. During my working days I attended an an employee's 25 years service presentation. I was stood with our new MD and I said how nice it was to see such service. He said that he didn't want anyone working for him for long periods of time. He said that you get get the best out of people in their first three years then they should move on

11 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Players,like managers, either outgrow the team or the team outgrows them. During my working days I attended an an employee's 25 years service presentation. I was stood with our new MD and I said how nice it was to see such service. He said that he didn't want anyone working for him for long periods of time. He said that you get get the best out of people in their first three years then they should move on

He doesn't play by, "the rules".

25 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

What a depressing attitude.

43 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Sounds a right cunt.