Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

This is certainly true at senior manager/director level. It's not so much about getting the best though, it's about the time they get found out for their ability, and if they stay on then the city loses confidence in the company and the shareprice drops and then that is aimed at them. Conversely, if they are good (or get lucky) then they still go at these times on a high and move onto new pastures.

1 hour ago, jackyboy said:

Players,like managers, either outgrow the team or the team outgrows them. During my working days I attended an an employee's 25 years service presentation. I was stood with our new MD and I said how nice it was to see such service. He said that he didn't want anyone working for him for long periods of time. He said that you get get the best out of people in their first three years then they should move on

Gerrard 

Totti

Le Tissier

Scholes 

John Terry

Jamie Carragher 

Jack Charlton 

Maldini 

all say 👋

4 hours ago, Johnny said:

If some on here think he can gaslight me on the SBR case, dream on.

I was there where some fans booed him and the team. And I clearly remember that some of the fans want him sacke as manager (or move up the club hierarchy -whatever wording you prefer).

And I think we got ourselves cursed by the way we treated SBR. 14 years of curse.

Clear booing during that Wolves home game. Bobby booed, Robert booed going off, Viana booed even louder coming on. :lol:

1 hour ago, JonBez comesock said:

Gerrard 

Totti

Le Tissier

Scholes 

John Terry

Jamie Carragher 

Jack Charlton 

Maldini 

all say 👋

I think their can be a difference in personal feelings of loyalty for a club, and recognising what may have been better for their careers. 

Gerrard, Totti, and Le Tissier all probably should've moved on if they thought with their head rather than their hearts. Gerrard should probably have gone to Chelsea when all that was brewing, Totti to Madrid.

4 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Was that the Bernard foul? I remember being utterly incandescent with rage after that. Sure they won a pen as Bernard was still crumpled in a heap as well...

VAR is good afterall!

Yes, after that game we never really were a top level team. It seemed like it affected the team mentally.

We somehow finished 5th on 56 points that year. There was a clear regression in how we played. Gravesen, the Partizan game all knocked the stuffing out of us and we were on a downward slope. Most people thought Robson has lost the dressing room.

It's easy to look back with rose-tinted specs, I think most fans were indifferent when he was sacked. But had we known it'd be Souness coming in, I don't think there'd have been a toon fan in the land that would have supported that decision. 

I did remember at the time, they can't have sacked him without a plan. It's gotta be someone good coming in. Then as the days went by, and it became Souness, I was very disappointed, but was willing to give him a chance. 

Now I'm older and (hopefully) a bit wiser, it's a lot easier to see from experience these train wrecks coming a mile off. 

Back to topic, ASM is the best at what he does. But the team is demanding what he does best less and less. We've gone to third in the league with Jacob Murphy starting most of our recent games, and his ball retention and use is atrocious. But off the ball, he unquestionably contributes more than ASM. 

I'm struggling to remember a game where we've sat in an opponent's half with Maxi in our team. Am I just not remembering this happening, or does the fact that he plays literally means our whole team identity of winning the ball back in their third comes off the rails as a result? 

I'm Maxi's biggest fan and even I said this season he'd have to really put up the numbers to justify my faith in him. But in the team we have become, he is unsuited. As we become the team that dominates possession and becomes like rabid dogs out of it, he has no real place. 

Against a high-pressing team that's just better than us, like City, he's going to be absolutely immense on the break from deep. But we don't play much like this any more, and under Captain Pieface when we had no tactics and were under the cosh every game, he was the one player that could be counted on to be effective. 

Edited by HawK

47 minutes ago, TRC said:

We somehow finished 5th on 56 points that year. There was a clear regression in how we played. Gravesen, the Partizan game all knocked the stuffing out of us and we were on a downward slope. Most people thought Robson has lost the dressing room.

Three away wins all season. Loads of stupid last minute equalisers against us, including infamously Lua Lua's. 

The mood was very bad even in spite of finishing 5th and getting to a semi final.

22 minutes ago, buzz said:

Three away wins all season. Loads of stupid last minute equalisers against us, including infamously Lua Lua's. 

The mood was very bad even in spite of finishing 5th and getting to a semi final.

Think it was 2 away wins, Boro and Fulham.

Shearer didn’t score an away goal after November. Was rather bizarre how passive we were that season.

I think we saw that the tide had turned and Sir Bob wasn't the one to turn it back, thise two 5th place finishes were hugely different. Similar happened at Sunderland, they had back to back 7th place finishes but the second one was a much worse season. If they had got rid of Reid then their downturn may not have been so spectacular 

The above post about rose-tinted specs is it for me.

People are using the context that people were unhappy at finishing 5th based on what's happened since when the context at the time was 5th was a massively detrimental needless own goal by the club and things needed stirred.

We probably got booed off 10-20 times under Sir Bobby. Even earlier that season at home to Bolton and Birmingham.

Its a time honoured response at the end of exceptionally awful performances - its not hounding out.

I didn't stay back after Wolves to give them something to think about, not condone it.

The ground was half-empty for the walk around after 00/01 too. Is the reason that wasn't hounding out because he wasn't sacked 4month after like 04?

Was there even one "Robson out" chant or banner or protest?

Everyone, including the players, knew Sir Bobby was leaving at the end of the season. Every time that seemed to happen things fell apart at clubs. That's ultimately why he was sacked, to break that situation up. Everybody would have preferred to get rid of Bellamy, Jenas and Dyer but that's not how it works.

The fans worry and frustration ended up being fully vindicated. Abramovic has just arrived and there was one place left to fight for. It was ours and they messed it up and doomed us to the stagnancy that followed, not the fans. Any clubs fans fearing that and seeing it would react that way. Its arguably what fans are supposed to do rather than just accept decline (see the Ashley era)

Edited by Jonas

Thought he was quite good. 

The people behind me were set on hammering him even before he came on, which I think is the case with a lot of fans. Straight away they started criticising him for stopping, turning back, not passing it instantly etc. Even if he wasn't doing anything particularly bad. 

I have doubts about whether he'll ever be a long-term fixture for us, but I thought he looked quite sharp last night. 

Created a few chances putting players through on two occasions, and also seemed to add a lift to a dull game, not long after he came on Bournemouth instantly played chess, swapping players out to double up on him, he still managed to ride the wave. This is what managers/teams do, they don't look see Murphy in the team and panic, but if ASM starts or comes on they have to consider his threat to them, it works in our favour if it does or doesn't affect ASMs game, doubling up on the left helps free up space in other areas. But he handled it well at times.