Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Struggling to believe people are doubting Maxi, on his day he's unplayable.

All flare players are confidence driven, if Eddie plays him off the bench his form will return.

Nowt so fickle as folk, Maxi returns to form and people will be licking his hoop again!

As far as I’m aware everyone likes ASM and wants him to succeed here, but there are obvious questions around how he’ll fit in long term. Hopefully he gets a run in the side without getting injured to we can properly judge.

2 hours ago, Wild Geese said:

Struggling to believe people are doubting Maxi, on his day he's unplayable.

All flare players are confidence driven, if Eddie plays him off the bench his form will return.

Nowt so fickle as folk, Maxi returns to form and people will be licking his hoop again!

I'm not sure people are being 'fickle' tbh. Just some legitimate debate around his merits in respect of systems/style of play since Howe's arrival.

Not seen anyone saying he's a bad player or that they dislike him but it's fair game to question how he's going to fit particularly when he only 'returns to form' once a month.

What he needs is a run of form, a run of fitness and a run of 'fit' in the team to stop any chat about it tbh.

That's on him, not supporters.

Totally agree with above comment, no one is on his back but I must say he needs to be on his A game to keep in this side .

Right now personally I’d not miss him if he wasn’t in the team, he’s an individual, we need top team players.

I think he understands by now what’s needed from him and what the expectations are.. All we need is to get him 100% fit and keep him fit.  Pretty certain that the penny has dropped for him. It won’t be long before he stands as motm at the end of a game shouting “Are you not entertained!!?!?!” With the crowd standing up chanting “ Maximin! Maximin! Maximin” and all the doubt will be gone again. Just get fit and stay fit and great things will come. Easy to forget with time. 

A player like him needs that fitness more so than others. Only then can he really be unplayable.

Edited by Ikon

I’m hoping he gets some meaningful minutes against Leeds. Either a start or a decent run off the bench. 

I think he might be our key player against Arsenal and would personally start him against them. 

We won’t be able to press quite as aggressively as usual. As they are good at playing around it and passing out of trouble. I think we may have to sit in a bit deeper at times, a bit like Liverpool and City. Where we had to do similar at different stages of the game. 

I just think he’ll get a lot more space away against a big team like Arsenal and will be really dangerous on the counter against Ben White. Plus, Willock has been a bit below par the last two games I’ve seen and sounded like he was off it in the Rayo friendly and all. 

Class video of Howe that, nice to see him having a laugh. I know in that high performance podcast he said that he struggles to enjoy it all because of how driven he is to always be improving but I’d hope that if we could win something he’d find that balance of being able to really enjoy it whilst still having big expectations for himself and the team 

2 hours ago, Dokko said:

No idea what the future holds for ASM, but he was the one bright spark for such a long time in a dead club, and I really hope his future is here with us and he gets to enjoy the ride. 

Cause he will, he's a top level player, he just needs a bit of what Miggys got on the right, if he had a leader and a player with Trippiers quality supporting him, add to that some consistency without being knocked all the time, I'm sure hed have some super times ahead. 

I always think back to Jonas and Enrique on the left, neither at first were super stars and one without the other never really worked, but together they were awesome, I'd say Jonas had a massive part to play in Enrique becoming the player he did.

On 22/12/2022 at 11:54, Big River said:

well yeah, his injury record is a factor. also the fact he's now behind Willock, Joelinton, and potentially even Jacob fkn Murphy for that LW position.

guess we'll see eh?

I'd rather play the tea lady than Murphy in any position. There is no way in hell ASM is worse than Murphy, that's crazy talk.

Given his gradual increase in minutes, and an opposition who will likely be happy to sit back and invite us onto them to break down so they can counter, I actually think Max will start against Leeds. The Bournemouth game was a reminder that we still can struggle to unlock sides when they're happy to sit back, and ASM has that bit about him where you can give him the ball and he can go past a player or 2 at pace as suddenly he's into the box and the opposition are shitting themselves. I love Miggy, but he often needs to be played in by someone. 

50 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I'd rather play the tea lady than Murphy in any position. There is no way in hell ASM is worse than Murphy, that's crazy talk.

Think Murphy gets unfair criticism. I think he's fine as a squad player for where we are at the moment and has contributed this season

We'll upgrade on him and he'll leave but don't think he's been bad this season

4 minutes ago, TRC said:

I'd start him against Leeds, give one of Willock/Longstaff a break.

I'd also rest Schar and make sure he gets booked against Arsenal.

Why would you want him to get booked?

30 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

Probably so he's suspended for the Sheff Wed game rather than a league match or the QF. 

That's not how it works. He'll be suspended for a leage game not a cup game