Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

He was poor on the ball last night, but there were many occasions where he was the only outlet trying to break past Palace’s lines either by running in behind or moving into central areas. 

Wood’s lack of mobility really hurts Maxi’s ability to find pockets of space I think. 

Anderson also looked quite uncomfortable on the other flank which didn’t help with forming a cohesive attack with the ball.

Very premature to be writing him off considering the form and fluency he was showing before injury. Rest of the season after the World Cup break will be really important for him though, as we may look to strengthen out wide in the summer regardless. See no reason to think he should be sold in the immediate future though. 

Edited by Barnes23

Joelinton and Willock have struck up a nice little understanding down the left, where one provides width while the other drops in to midfield.

Maxi is great on his day and a proven match winner, but like everyone else he'll have to wait for his opportunity.

Yeah, he’s a difficult proposition for games like this. He offers so much going forwards but Chelsea wouldn’t have given him much space and would have had one or two on him at all times but he doesn’t offer as much with the rest of his game. I look forward to him bullying teams in the bottom half later on in the season 

It's on him to prove he does but think that's a wild overreaction for a player not coming on who is on his way back from injury, played midweek further limiting how much he could play and lastly not suited to the job needed of the substitutes at the time

I agree he is an odd fit, but at his best he would be a brilliant asset, and Howe is clearly fucking brilliant at getting the best out of players

4 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

It's on him to prove he does but think that's a wild overreaction for a player not coming on who is on his way back from injury, played midweek further limiting how much he could play and lastly not suited to the job needed of the substitutes at the time

I agree he is an odd fit, but at his best he would be a brilliant asset, and Howe is clearly fucking brilliant at getting the best out of players

His strengths are against teams who come at us, when teams sit back (which is a sign of how far we’ve came, most of them now) he struggles, like I say though, unplayable on his day, I’m sure it’s a problem Eddie likes to have. 

2 minutes ago, Cattletrucked said:

His strengths are against teams who come at us, when teams sit back (which is a sign of how far we’ve came, most of them now) he struggles, like I say though, unplayable on his day, I’m sure it’s a problem Eddie likes to have. 

Yeah I do agree but we lack penetrative left wingers to compete with him on that mind (Joelinton is many things now but not penetrative). I would absolutely be happy for a player to come in to compete and do better when we are pinning teams back and have him as option when chasing. But we do need more sparks of creativity in the team and he can provide that. I think it's healthy though, when we are reliant on him his inconsistency is infuriating but if we are playing well without him he can a brilliant option. No doubt he will want to leave if he isn't an automatic starter but again all players should be desperate to start.