Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Fenerbahce, on loan from Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

Anyone notice him bust his bollocks off to get back for Wolves disallowed goal? 

The Howe affect. 

His team awareness has improved a lot. He's releasing the ball earlier and not trying to get past every opponent that's in front of him. Still a work on progress, but overall he's making a much better contribution.

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

3 NUFC goals in the August Goal of the Month shortlist probably?

Wilson's Forest goal should be in there as well, but no-one except Newcastle fans seem to really give it the credit it deserves.

Well, he came off holding the back of his thigh, which looked like a hamstring. We seem to have had a few of those now. 

But fine, he always seems to be hobbling about before leaping about like a gazelle, so it might be nothing. Hopefully just cramp.

5 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Did Howe say anything about him being injured?

He didn't say anything about Bruno being injured before the Wolves game (which is good management to leave the opposition unaware) so unless he says Maxi is fit I don't think we can take any clues from him not mentioning an injury. Hopefully he's fine.

What was his celebration about and who was it aimed at does anyone know? Looked like it was aimed at the dugout. Maybe Howe was about to take him off? It just seemed a bit strange as I've no real idea what it was about.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

What was his celebration about and who was it aimed at does anyone know? Looked like it was aimed at the dugout. Maybe Howe was about to take him off? It just seemed a bit strange as I've no real idea what it was about.

I thought he copied Neves ? Could be wrong.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Even at the end of the season you could see he was on the right track. Trying to pass more and get into more space. 

Think he’s going to have a superb season once Bruno and Isak are in place. 

:thup: You could spot who hadn't been watching him properly when they claimed he didn't pass or use the overlap from Targett/Joelinton. He was doing it loads at the back end of last season.

5 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

Anyone notice him bust his bollocks off to get back for Wolves disallowed goal? 

The Howe affect. 

I'm not a fan of it, but note also that he scored the goal while playing as a central striker. That tactic did work this time.

8 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I'm not a fan of it, but note also that he scored the goal while playing as a central striker. That tactic did work this time.

Yeah, this no striker set up shouldn't be a regular thing once we have completed our summer spending. It's only really worked once and that was yesterday, and that was a moment of individual brilliance, rather than tactical genius.

Having been critical of him previously, I'm pleased to say he has improved primarily in his decision making, if he continues to listen and improve the output of his game i. e. Goals and assists he could become a bit of a beast like.

Undoubtedly a talented player, just needs to forget his own hype a little bit at the right times and use it at others.

When he's on song he has our fanbase on the edge of their seats like. 

18 hours ago, TRon said:

The technique was immaculate on that strike though, he even got it to dip, and that ball was coming down from a fair height.

It's hard enough to hit a strike like that if you're standing still waiting for the ball to drop. To do it while sprinting, as ASM did, is phenomenal.

1 hour ago, GideonShandy said:

It's hard enough to hit a strike like that if you're standing still waiting for the ball to drop. To do it while sprinting, as ASM did, is phenomenal.

Aye, I remember years ago having an argument with a group of lads in the Strawberry cause Shola tried similar and tbf the ball went even higher and he completely fucked it. They were screaming about how shit he was etc. And I was just like "here mate have you ever tried to volley a baal like that man you're talking utter shite." :lol:

It's an incredibly difficult thing to do, for timing, balance, control etc. Etc. and despite the number of good goals this weekend it's got to be up there for goal of the month and of the season. 

Edited by Heron

Guest HTT II

As my boys’ coach says, if you have the intent and catch it right, that’s all that matters, whether you shin it or it takes a deflection. We all know he has the technique and his intent was to smash it towards goal and he hit the sweet spot. There is no rule in football saying you can’t use your shin or toe or arse or whatever. It was a fantastic goal and volleying is the hardest technique of all!

I don’t know why, but I feel I’d have a better chance of hitting a ball like that on the run. Probs because standing still I would have no chance at all. I’d need to luck out without thinking about it. Standing still, my enemy would be the doubt while waiting. Anyway, practically zero chance I would connect never mind hit the target

I think he has started to come round to Eddie's way of thinking, team before individual, and he is starting to look better for it. He was given too much leeway under Bruce and it has taken him a while to adjust to not been the loose cannon, match winning main man. 

I think if he continues this could be a really good season for him and if he keeps it up he could be an outside bet for a world Cup place.