Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

I was going to blame our buying policy for that, but I think Bruce has to take some major part in it. He was the one who convinced Charnley to renew Shelvey's contract, he clearly sees him as more than good enough for us. Not to mention Ritchie, who for all he's got some decent end product, you don't often see it because he just can't get past anyone.

He had a good game again the dippers but that’s just one good game this season. Nothing to be getting carried away about.

Pretty much every one of them who played raised their game in that match so they all collectively made each other look better. As what every half decent team does on a consistent basis.

He had a good game again the dippers but that’s just one good game this season. Nothing to be getting carried away about.

Pretty much every one of them who played raised their game in that match so they all collectively made each other look better. As what every half decent team does on a consistent basis.

I think he's a tidy little player tbh, was expecting him to get swamped against Liverpool, but he showed composure and heart at least. I agree though, he wouldn't be playing for us if Keegan was still here, the expectations would be totally different.

• 2 months later...

You must have erased your memory of Cack Jogback and Alan Smith.

Colback had 4 goals and 6 assists in his first season apparently. His all round game was terrible but even then it was better than Hendrick’s. I’m still not sure what he’s supposed to be good at.

.....and in the following 3 seasons he accumulated 1 goal and 3 assists. 1 of the assists was in the championship, another one in the league cup. I fail to see your point? They are obviously both awful players, but to jump from Hendrick to Fumaca and Billy Askew is quite the leap. We should never forget the awfulness of Cack and Smith :lol:

Funny as fuck that, for all our dismal academy produces next to nowt, we get two lads through - both of whom have he potential to be good PL CMs - still it all goes to bollocks cos the manager has decided to ostracise them. :lol:

.....and in the following 3 seasons he accumulated 1 goal and 3 assists. 1 of the assists was in the championship, another one in the league cup. I fail to see your point? They are obviously both awful players, but to jump from Hendrick to Fumaca and Billy Askew is quite the leap. We should never forget the awfulness of Cack and Smith :lol:

That for a time being he actually looked nowhere near the level of rubbish that Hendrick has for us so far. Admittedly he played a lot more but clearly he had a few good moments in that first season to go with the rubbish. Hendrick has looked consistently horrific ever since that goal against West Ham. I’m genuinely not sure what he’s supposed to be good at.

The absolute state of our midfield options. Regarding Matty I’m still mystified what he’s done to be not getting in the squad now, let alone on the pitch. Actually looked like a semi-competent midfielder against some of the best sides then is nowhere to be seen while idiots like Shelvey and Hendrick stink up the place.

That for a time being he actually looked nowhere near the level of rubbish that Hendrick has for us so far. Admittedly he played a lot more but clearly he had a few good moments in that first season to go with the rubbish. Hendrick has looked consistently horrific ever since that goal against West Ham. I’m genuinely not sure what he’s supposed to be good at.

The absolute state of our midfield options. Regarding Matty I’m still mystified what he’s done to be not getting in the squad now, let alone on the pitch. Actually looked like a semi-competent midfielder against some of the best sides then is nowhere to be seen while idiots like Shelvey and Hendrick stink up the place.

I fully agree. A few months ago I was saying I'd prefer Hendrick over Colback, but that opinion has slightly changed recently. Knife to throat if I had to pick one over the other right now I'd probably go with Colback :lol: I just found it a bit provoking that tino skipped mentioning Colback and Smith entirely and went straight to Fumaca :lol: They are definitely worthy of being mentioned when listing worst cm's for the club in recent history.

I have to stick up for billy askew here , no way was he that bad .

I remember he played with an element of energy and he had a canny dig on him too.

Im sure i can remember him nearly breaking the crossbar from 30yds once.

• 2 weeks later...

https://theathletic.co.uk/2450657/2021/03/17/longstaff-and-newcastle-team-mates-puzzled-by-his-absence-after-bruces-summer-promises/

Shock horror - it sounds like Bruce completely lied to Matty to get him to sign the contract!

I had forgot about this too - he's such a clueless clown! Did the same previous year with a clearly unfit Lejeune!

After making his first appearance of the season, a 29-minute cameo against Southampton on November 6, he did not play during the next six matches. Then, from being outside the match-day squad, he suddenly found himself playing every minute of three matches in eight days against three top sides in Manchester City (Boxing Day), Liverpool (December 30) and Leicester City (New Year’s Day). Across those matches, in a side that was struggling, he was arguably among the better performers.

He was subsequently an unused substitute in the FA Cup defeat away to Arsenal, with many squad members then expecting him to start against Sheffield United three days later, but he again remained on the bench. Then came a 78-minute runout back at the Emirates in the league on January 18, and he has not made a single appearance since. He has not even made a squad since February 15 and has not played a minute since the 4-3-1-2 formation was introduced eight matches ago, despite his energy appearing ideally suited to the system.