Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

Wonder if Bruce will make him disappear faster than a large doner again like he did after his emergence last season?

It'll be Shelvey in for suspended Hayden next week and then Hayden/Shelvey the game after, nailed on.

Million times better than his brother.

Nah, the way Sean played under Rafa was better.

Mate for 18 months hes been utter dogshit

Yes. I’m just saying he’s showed before that he can be very good. Whether he can be that player again remains to be seen.

He looks like he's ready to seize his chance. He played with a lot of assurance and distributed the ball well. In a midfield that struggles to retain possession, he stood out. I was particularly impressed to see the number of passes he delivered without even needing a first touch.

I just hope that his emergence will also encourage his brother, whose confidence looks more brittle.

He looks like he's ready to seize his chance. He played with a lot of assurance and distributed the ball well. In a midfield that struggles to retain possession, he stood out. I was particularly impressed to see the number of passes he delivered without even needing a first touch.

I just hope that his emergence will also encourage his brother, whose confidence looks more brittle.

Spot on he keeps it simple, I’ve been thinking for weeks that what we’re missing is a Paul Bracewell type player just to break things up, keep possession and start attacks.

Though Sean hasn’t been good this season, under no circumstances should Shelvey be brought back against Leicester. I would start Sean against Leicester and hopefully they can dovetail well, with Sean able to get around the opposition box where he can be dangerous with that shot.

Wouldn’t let Sean anywhere near the team, he needs to earn a place back big time , his brother has it now , in training he needs to be incredible and then perform like it in the chance he will eventually be given, maybe Arsenal? Fail and he stays out the team, simple .

Matty needs to keep to this standard now , glad for the lad.

Wouldn’t let Sean anywhere near the team, he needs to earn a place back big time , his brother has it now , in training he needs to be incredible and then perform like it in the chance he will eventually be given, maybe Arsenal? Fail and he stays out the team, simple .

Matty needs to keep to this standard now , glad for the lad.

So who do you play against Leicester, i wouldn’t say Shelvey or Hendrick have earned another shot either ? Playing alongside his brother might just raise his game, I’d rather take that chance than the other 2 options available.

There was a moment in the second half when he was surrounded and he turned around but he had no pass on,  instead of booting it down the field like Shelvey would have, he held on to it a little longer, shifted it between his feet and bought his team mates time to move.

It's those little moments which tell you which players can make it. If you have the balls to keep the ball under pressure against one of the best sides in the world that's a great place to start.

Yeah, that was a significant moment. Good midfield players can actually take advantage of being put under pressure by using the space that potentially opens up for their team mates or themselves. Our other midfielders tend to get rid of the ball as fast as they can.

Sean doesn't have the footwork of his brother, and has got caught a few times. As others have said, he probably needs to be further forward, where he can take more risks and get on the end of chances.

As Whitley Mag has said, it's not as though we have stellar alternatives to these two. They are young, improving players, and will benefit from more game time. We need to find the best way of playing them together.

With Hayden suspended, I'd be tempted to pitch in Hendrick, rather than Shelvey, alongside those two. We can't afford three midfield players who all lack pace, against a side like Leicester.

Having said that, I think Bruce will probably give Matty a rest, and drop him to the subs bench. He's put in a very good stint for the last two games.

As a final point, I'd like us to stick with 3-5-2. It's not necessarily a more defensive formation, and it seems to suit the players better.

There was a moment in the second half when he was surrounded and he turned around but he had no pass on,  instead of booting it down the field like Shelvey would have, he held on to it a little longer, shifted it between his feet and bought his team mates time to move.

It's those little moments which tell you which players can make it. If you have the balls to keep the ball under pressure against one of the best sides in the world that's a great place to start.

I remember that and thought at the time how assured he looked, refreshing to see one of our players treat the ball like a hot potato. Hope he can push on from here, certainly seems like he has the raw talent, pity it is Bruce that is "coaching" him :(

Did well last night. Keeping it simple with no dwelling on the ball makes the play more fluid. Evaluated play well and didn't treat the ball like an old WW2 bomb. Him being able to move around, is a massive plus alone.

Loan Sean out to Derby or Forest see if a run of games at a lower level will give him some confidence and form back. Unless we sign a new CM then it should be Hayden & Matty.

Think Forest would be a terrible place for him to go

Play Sean and Matty this weekend. Slot Hayden back in after suspension.

Has to be Shelvey.

Playing either of them against Leicester will be like playing with 10 men.

I'd rather play Hendrick than either of them two in the centre tbh. We can't afford Sean's sloppiness or Shelvey's laziness against Leicester. Not saying Hendrick is great, but he's got to be worth a go in the centre at some stage.

Play Sean and Matty this weekend. Slot Hayden back in after suspension.

Has to be Shelvey.

Playing either of them against Leicester will be like playing with 10 men.

I'd rather play Hendrick than either of them two in the centre tbh. We can't afford Sean's sloppiness or Shelvey's laziness against Leicester. Not saying Hendrick is great, but he's got to be worth a go in the centre at some stage.

I agree. Shelvey and Longstaff have had so many chances now. Time for Hendrick to have a go.