General press coverage

Optimistic Nut

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I wouldn't ever defend the indefensible with our club's owners, yet I still think Holt's completely full of shit and that that's the same 'whataboutery' he and others have already said either isn't an argument or is deflecting the issue.

Yes, thank you.

All I can really say to these journalist is, how many articles or tweets have you written about the Saudi’s sponsoring Man Utd for the last 12 years? I won’t defend the Saudi’s, but it seems everyone was fine with their blood money until they bought Newcastle.

• 3 weeks later...

Abramovich reportedly   has put the club up for sale, with an American-based merchant bank, who claim they are in charge of the sale, contacting potential buyers.

Chelsea haven't responded to claims that the club is now for sale, as Abramovich eyes a £4 billion sale. 

A new owner at Chelsea would inherit the Stamford Bridge problem: too small for the future, and £2.6bn to rebuild (and you don’t get the freehold)

nice little profit for Putins best mate.

Edited by prefabtoon

Martin Samuel reckons all Abramovic has done wrong is keep bad company

but the way we treat Bruce at that one game was disgraceful

just happened to support that bad company and that bad company has taken the world the closest to WW3 its ever been and the closest to nuclear war since 1961 but how about them 'we want Brucie out' chants that one time!?

Edited by Wolfcastle

13 hours ago, prefabtoon said:

Abramovich reportedly   has put the club up for sale, with an American-based merchant bank, who claim they are in charge of the sale, contacting potential buyers.

Chelsea haven't responded to claims that the club is now for sale, as Abramovich eyes a £4 billion sale. 

A new owner at Chelsea would inherit the Stamford Bridge problem: too small for the future, and £2.6bn to rebuild (and you don’t get the freehold)

nice little profit for Putins best mate.

I don't think he's getting 4bn. He said he'd waive the 1.5bn debt.  Fuck that, way too much.

15 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

just happened to support that bad company and that bad company has taken the world the closest to WW3 its ever been and the closest to nuclear war since 1961 

True that. My father was a radar man in the Bay of Pigs on a US destroyer. Nothing happened in the end but never a more tense time for not just the US and the Soviets, but the wider world.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions like that won't come in every week, anyway. Part of it yesterday was that it was a game involving Chelsea in London, so was going to attract the likes of Burt et al both from a footballing and non-footballing perspective.

Neither he or any other chief sports writers will be travelling up to SJP when we play Palace, for example.

Newcastle's relevance nationally is the Saudi-majority ownership so it's expected that things like this comes up.

Not that there's anything wrong with raising the rightful rights concerns like in the other thread

I can't read the article, as I'm on my phone, but I'm more than happy for Howe to play it with a straight bat.

Howe is a football manager, we're football fans. While I cringe whenever I see any of our lot with a Saudi flag or piling on any valid criticism of KSA, it isn't on Howe or us that they have an 80% stake in the club. Its on the Premier League and its on the Government.

I'm more than happy for journos to carry on asking perfectly valid questions about KSA, but it does feel like they're barking up the wrong tree with the constant questions put to Howe.

'Everyone lapping up us asking these questions of football manager Eddie Howe and not Boris Johnson proves that deflection works'

See also, concentrating on only footballer's wages as being undeserved.

Edited by Kid Icarus

On 13/02/2022 at 03:59, Kid Icarus said:

I wouldn't ever defend the indefensible with our club's owners, yet I still think Holt's completely full of shit and that that's the same 'whataboutery' he and others have already said either isn't an argument or is deflecting the issue.

That's kind of my problem in all this. 

I have no issue asking these questions if you must, but the fact a few of them refuse to acknowledge pieces they've written in support of engaging with Saudi is rank. I totally understand the 'we have to cover World Cups' etc so I'm not putting those people in that basket, but Holt in particular has changed his tune without ever acknowledging it.  

• 1 month later...