Coronavirus in football

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

It's not in the interest of the teams at the bottom of the Premier League to restart the season. I'm sure they'd happily have the season annulled. I can imagine they'll vote against any restart plans. Having said that apparently if 14 of the 20 teams agree a plan that's enough. Problem with that is most teams don't have much to play for so will they care if the season is annulled or not?

Guest neesy111

It's not in the interest of the teams at the bottom of the Premier League to restart the season. I'm sure they'd happily have the season annulled. I can imagine they'll vote against any restart plans. Having said that apparently if 14 of the 20 teams agree a plan that's enough. Problem with that is most teams don't have much to play for so will they care if the season is annulled or not?

$$$

$$$

Exactly. The relegation threatened teams will obviously have selfish reasons to cancel the season, but ultimately they will be cutting off their noses to spite their face. Clubs, and their footballers have all grown massively rich on the back of tv deals, if the season gets cancelled the money to pay back Sky will have to come from somewhere. Not to mention it will mean a much lower value deal next time the rights are sold which will ultimately come back to bite all of these clubs and players in the arse.

$$$

Exactly. The relegation threatened teams will obviously have selfish reasons to cancel the season, but ultimately they will be cutting off their noses to spite their face. Clubs, and their footballers have all grown massively rich on the back of tv deals, if the season gets cancelled the money to pay back Sky will have to come from somewhere. Not to mention it will mean a much lower value deal next time the rights are sold which will ultimately come back to bite all of these clubs and players in the arse.

Not sure why they can’t offer Sky/Bt a better deal with regards to coverage for next season as a sweetener for them not to demand a refund for this season....There’s probably a reason why but if they don’t ask...

Could the TV companies demand a full refund? All the Premier League teams have played 28 or 29 games. The TV companies will miss out on the opportunity to show 9 or 10 games per team. Roughly they've had 3 quarters of a season. It's not like the TV companies didn't get the subscription fees and advertising fees for showing those games. Knock a quarter off the price of next season (if next season happens) for the TV companies. At least that way the clubs will have some advanced notice that their TV income will be cut and they can budget for that for next season.

Could the TV companies demand a full refund? All the Premier League teams have played 28 or 29 games. The TV companies will miss out on the opportunity to show 9 or 10 games per team. Roughly they've had 3 quarters of a season. It's not like the TV companies didn't get the subscription fees and advertising fees for showing those games. Knock a quarter off the price of next season (if next season happens) for the TV companies. At least that way the clubs will have some advanced notice that their TV income will be cut and they can budget for that for next season.

But then the TV companies could argue they didn't get what they paid for. Not only missing out the title decider, but also promotion conclusions and relegation deciders as well. If you pay to watch a film, you'd be pretty pissed off if you had to leave before the end. Getting a discount off the next season isn't really a replacement.

Also, the Premier League itself is going to have to pay for any discounts or refunds, so bottom line is, the clubs will end up paying it, and ultimately that has to lead to lower wages for players.

But then the TV companies could argue they didn't get what they paid for. Not only missing out the title decider, but also promotion conclusions and relegation deciders as well. If you pay to watch a film, you'd be pretty pissed off if you had to leave before the end. Getting a discount off the next season isn't really a replacement.

Also, the Premier League itself is going to have to pay for any discounts or refunds, so bottom line is, the clubs will end up paying it, and ultimately that has to lead to lower wages for players.

What about allowing them to show more games next season and more games in the run in for the end of season......no discounts or refunds just extra games to show giving them more commercial tie ins for adverts etc

What about allowing them to show more games next season and more games in the run in for the end of season......no discounts or refunds just extra games to show giving them more commercial tie ins for adverts etc

Well, I'm sure you could come up with some creative solutions which might satisfy some parties. But there is also talk of West Brom and Leeds hitting the PL with a lawsuit if they are denied what looks likely promotion. There is a major headache here on a few counts if the season gets cancelled.

Well, I'm sure you could come up with some creative solutions which might satisfy some parties. But there is also talk of West Brom and Leeds hitting the PL with a lawsuit if they are denied what looks likely promotion. There is a major headache here on a few counts if the season gets cancelled.

There’s no easy answer...Damned if you do,Damned if you don’t....Personally like to see season scrapped..no relegations, top 2 of each division promoted...unfortunately i believe the PL rules don’t allow 22 teams.

Barber kicking off again apparently saying its not just the bottom 6 that think neutral venues isn't fair.

I don't get it. Certainly clubs know their own pitch a bit more and maybe feel comfortable in their own stadium but there are no fans which make the most impact of playing at home. I am sure someone can also argue it's not fair playing in an empty stadium and players would be mentally affected. I guess if its Newcastle vs Bournemouth you have the home advantage making them travel but if both teams are travelling it's the same for everyone, every game.

On top of that while they don't get home games, no-one does they also don't play away essentially or everyone plays away at the same time so surely that is the most fair way around it. The opponents would be equally as disadvantaged.

There is so much division in the media I find it hard to see a compromise happening in time to play again this season. No relegation and then relegating 6 next year won't be fair necessarily either. Such a mess.

It's the dumbest, most nonsensical reason for not restarting. There are actual good arguments those clubs could make, but they chose that.

We're in a pandemic ffs, you have to make sacrifices, and not playing in your preferred empty stadium is the smallest sacrifice.

It's the dumbest, most nonsensical reason for not restarting. There are actual good arguments those clubs could make, but they chose that.

We're in a pandemic ffs, you have to make sacrifices, and not playing in your preferred empty stadium is the smallest sacrifice.

Reading today that the FA will ignore these protests and there will definitely be relegation and promotion regardless of whether the season is completed. The argument is similar to what you just said, it's a pandemic, clubs have to be realistic about how they can proceed during this time, bearing in mind thousands of people are dying right now. In context, being asked to play at neutral venues doesn't really seem a massive sacrifice.

Apparently the FA also have in their legislature that relegation can't be rescinded without their agreement, so the lower placed clubs might not even be able to veto it with a vote.

Everyone knows they were by far the best team, don’t have a problem giving them the title. Not sure it matters that much, they know they won it.

Nothing's been decided and it would be wrong to do so based on the balance of probabilities. Everyone knows they've virtually sewn the league up but it's setting a dangerous precedent if you decide things before they've actually happened. Where do you stop? Relegate the bottom 3? Award CL for the top 4? Who goes into the EL? With a quarter of a season to go? Is nothing going to change with regards to the league table? What about prize money? If you've already played all of the better teams you'll probably finish higher? It's a huge can of worms predicting what you think would probably have happened and it should be ruled out imo. 

Who's making decisions based on the balance of probability?

They're not paying to watch a film, though. They're paying for the right to broadcast the film. They've shown 3/4 of the film and the viewers have paid for what they've viewed.

The head of the EFL seems to be blaming the Premier League for a lack of funds.

I know further down the pyramid the money drops off significantly, but it’s not like they aren’t taking it themselves.

Ironically he also says that there shouldn’t be parachute payments. I’m guessing he means the parachute payments should go direct to the league rather than relegated clubs.

The EFL need to sort their own mess out. The idea they had a few years ago of having another league but possibly splitting the lower two leagues into 1 level do sided between North and South would have been ideal.

If they want to go down the wage cap route then all for them.

I wonder if it would be possible and if clubs would be willing to have league kit deals quite like other leagues like the MLS and others do. How that would work with clubs changing in and out of the EFL is another matter.

I read that earlier, I love how that apology just keeps going. I just went to my sister's to...then I only went to....

It's tough for everyone and I know he's not the sharpest tool but if he's being followed as much as he says which I don't doubt for a second then he's been even more foolish.

He's getting more flack for earlier tweets saying don't visit family too. He needs to stay at home, and get his head right. I wonder what psychological help the club's are making available in these situations.