Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

If the Government gets involved.  :lol:

Not going to happen but fail to see how that would be amusing ?

They will get involved, it’s just that we’ll never get to know about it or the level of their involvement. I’ve also wondered, if PIF as an investment vehicle, were taking over a steelworks or any UK business that employed 1000’s of workers whether those who object to our takeover, on moral grounds, would be making so much noise, I somehow don’t think they would.

Football clubs are not like other businesses

Don’t get this argument it’s exactly what they are these days.

How would them owning a football club, differ from Qatar owning a media network, for example to pedal their soft power ?

So when you walk into St. James' Park and roar on the team, there's no difference between that and going into Greggs to buy a sausage roll?

Football clubs are for the community, in many cases the only thing which unites a community and the whole city of Newcastle or Sunderland or wherever is defined by the football club. You grow up dreaming of playing for Newcastle, your dad brings you to watch the game every second Saturday, then eventually you bring your own children, and your entire mood in a weekend is based on the result of the game. If Bein went out of business tomorrow nobody would really care, if PSG went out of business tomorrow there would be riots.

Guest neesy111

Football clubs are treated differently to other business when it comes to Administration for example.

They will get involved, it’s just that we’ll never get to know about it or the level of their involvement. I’ve also wondered, if PIF as an investment vehicle, were taking over a steelworks or any UK business that employed 1000’s of workers whether those who object to our takeover, on moral grounds, would be making so much noise, I somehow don’t think they would.

How would them owning a football club, differ from Qatar owning a media network, for example to pedal their soft power ?

So when you walk into St. James' Park and roar on the team, there's no difference between that and going into Greggs to buy a sausage roll?

Football clubs are for the community, in many cases the only thing which unites a community and the whole city of Newcastle or Sunderland or wherever is defined by the football club. You grow up dreaming of playing for Newcastle, your dad brings you to watch the game every second Saturday, then eventually you bring your own children, and your entire mood in a weekend is based on the result of the game. If Bein went out of business tomorrow nobody would really care, if PSG went out of business tomorrow there would be riots.

That’s all very romantic and in an ideal world we’d all like the german model. However, the premier league is all about business, hence why so many people have fallen out of love with it.

I get what your saying, but I don’t believe when we talk about the government getting involved, they’ll see it as anything other than a business transaction.

That’s all very romantic and in an ideal world we’d all like the german model. However, the premier league is all about business, hence why so many people have fallen out of love with it.

I get what your saying, but I don’t believe when we talk about the government getting involved, they’ll see it as anything other than a business transaction.

Oh aye, agree on the second paragraph. Can't see the government doing anything about it

Definitely cans. This guy is the one who broke the WTO story. He is thinking of things are close is huge! 

He’s been one of the ones saying this is doubtful for weeks, he is more likely getting his information from Bien/Qatar side.

Zero chance the Gov try to stop this, they want it as much as us. And if they stop it they piss off the Saudis and they don't want that either

:thup: No chance even they're that stupid to risk the kind of fall out it could cause.

If it is days away, it is clear the premier league was waiting for the WTO report, shame we have no idea what interpretation of it they have taken.

Or wanted the league restarted so they couldn't be accused of putting anything before the restart, especially when lives are at risk.

No way are the government getting involved.

You could argue they have already got involved by saying they have no objection to the Saudi deal. That's more or less giving it a green light in my book.