Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Caulkin:

Where do things stand? The Athletic has been told that all necessary documents have been exchanged between the two parties and that a deposit has been paid, with the Premier League now working through the owners’ and directors’ test, which effectively represents regulatory approval. Once that has been granted — it began around April 9 and they have been told it could take up to four weeks — completion of a £300 million sale becomes automatic. “There’s no stopping it now,” says one source, who insists that the owners’ and directors’ test has not yet raised any red flags.

I think this 17 million thing points to Ashley not being able to pull out. There's no way Staveley would allow him to take 17 million if the deal falls through if Ashley had the option to pull the plug.

Not copy / pasting the entire article as I don't like people doing that, but I'll list the points...

• A mission statement
  • Newcastle’s non-playing staff would be taken off the government’s furlough scheme
  • Lee Charnley, the managing director, will be asked to remain in his post for the time being, to coordinate the handover
  • Steve Bruce would stay in charge of the first team.
  • Informal overtures have already been made to some supporters, former players and other key figures in the city. Staveley did this last time.
  • A gesture in support of the local NHS hospital is being considered
  • A root and branch reform of Newcastle’s operation will take place.
  • They have already received contact from player agents.
  • Remote meetings are being held regularly. This a long-term investment and there is an understanding that Newcastle will not be able to go toe-to-toe with Liverpool and Manchester City from the outset.

Not copy / pasting the entire article as I don't like people doing that, but I'll list the points...

• A mission statement
  • Newcastle’s non-playing staff would be taken off the government’s furlough scheme
  • Lee Charnley, the managing director, will be asked to remain in his post for the time being, to coordinate the handover
  • Informal overtures have already been made to some supporters, former players and other key figures in the city. Staveley did this last time.
  • Remote meetings are being held regularly. This a long-term investment and there is an understanding that Newcastle will not be able to go toe-to-toe with Liverpool and Manchester City from the outset.

Can anyone else copy and paste the full article then please?

there is an understanding that Newcastle will not be able to go toe-to-toe with Liverpool and Manchester City from the outset.

i'd honestly prefer we go the dortmund model myself, strong emphasis on youth scouting and development and hoovering up the best talent to build a team over time

• A mission statement

Can anyone else copy and paste the full article then please?

Don't be a dick.

there is an understanding that Newcastle will not be able to go toe-to-toe with Liverpool and Manchester City from the outset.

i'd honestly prefer we go the dortmund model myself, strong emphasis on youth scouting and development and hoovering up the best talent to build a team over time

Their model is a higher budget version of the one Ashley tried getting away with under Carr but wouldn’t give him the money to do it properly. I’d be on board with it.

also

[move][glow=red,2,300]:anguish:[/glow][/move]

From what I made of that bit, they're thinking about the immediate future, more likely waiting until the season has ended before they look to what is available.