Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Unless they fail the fit and proper test which is basically impossible this is done, Ashley can't back out and neither can they.  It's at the point where it's legally binding subject to the test.

I mean, you understand we're not allowed nice things, don't you? You do know how the world works?

I don't know why, but given the fuel price thing at the moment, I read that as. "Ashley was hours away from selling the club, but the Saudi's pulled out" Shit me up for a second :lol:

I need one article per day like this until its announced to calm my nerves that it won't happen

Yep, I'm with you there. One positive article per day until its done. Just to stop me thinking it's all gone tits up.

This takeover shouldn't be allowed under any circumstance, ff these tyrants are "fit and proper" then who the fuck isn't?

The cat's already out of the bag though, this mess should've been dealt with back when Abramovich bought Chelsea, or when City got bought.

It's all too late now, I guess, which is a shame really.

This takeover shouldn't be allowed under any circumstance, ff these tyrants are "fit and proper" then who the fuck isn't?

The cat's already out of the bag though, this mess should've been dealt with back when Abramovich bought Chelsea, or when City got bought.

The fit and proper persons test isn't about preventing bad people from owning clubs, it's about preventing financially dubious people from taking over clubs and destroying them. I doubt it would be legal to try and prevent the sale of a club based on the politics of the people buying, unless the government was leading the way, and they can't say "you can invest in anything you want lads, apart from football clubs".

Guest neesy111

The fit and proper persons test isn't about preventing bad people from owning clubs, it's about preventing financially dubious people from taking over clubs and destroying them. I doubt it would be legal to try and prevent the sale of a club based on the politics of the people buying, unless the government was leading the way, and they can't say "you can invest in anything you want lads, apart from football clubs".

It's almost impossible to define fit and proper.

Surely it's up to the Premier League to sort out the rules for ownership of the clubs, though?. This shouldn't be happening, and it shouldn't have happened to Chelsea or Man City.

Would be all for the government saying that foreign countries can't invest in english clubs, or at least get some control of the league.

Haven't listened yet so don't know the tone of the discussion, but Alex Hurst from the True Faith podcast is on the Second Captains free podcast today if anyone's interested

There's a great passage from a book that Ken reads out about life under Ashley, can't believe I've not heard it before.

Were they taking the piss with those Liverpool audio clips? :lol: They played the full length of the Collymore thing twice ffs.

Yeah, that was really interesting. Never heard of the author or the book but it summed it up brilliantly.

Ken Early's summary of the Ashley years was quite cathartic to listen to given that the nightmare is nearly over. But I didn't necassarily agree with everything he said afterwards; particularly the references to that Barney Ronay article. That article was a bit of a wind-up in places and I didn't really rate it. The comparison of 'Ashley disrespecting Benitez Vs. MBS dismembering a journalist' is a really shitty way to make the valid point about the state of football ownership, and was pretty much just trying to get a rise out of Newcastle fans. For a start, you're comparing an action in the footballing side directly with an action in the non-footballing side, which demeans the whole debate and is like compariing apples with oranges but regardless of that: no Newcastle fan is comparing the two men as human beings! It's not a comparison worth making, because one of them is so obviously worse.

There is clearly a moral quandary among all of this and I think it's important, to some extent, for Newcastle fans to understand the wider context and the sensitivities here; because there's a risk of us A; looking stupid and B; contributing to sportswashing beyond the minimum amount (i.e. by simply being fans of Newcastle United). Saudi flags on Twitter bios is a bit of a toe-curler, for instance. However, whichever way you sit, I don't believe there are any 'double-standards' or hypocrisy and certainly no 'blame' associated with merely celebrating this change in ownership and riding this huge wave of optimism.

I actually thought Alex Hurst did very well on Second Captains and accurately outlined the position of the 'rational person who will continue to be a Newcastle fan in this era' (a definition that I think will probably be applicable to a great majority). It's a pity True Faith went to the absolute pits in very recent times, and I think - when it comes to how I see the fans - the takeover isn't going to remove my anger and annoyance specifically targeted at so many of them. I hope I can re-identify with the wider fanbase in time. For now I'll take just being able to have actual conversations with my Dad about football again.

In my opinion, an NUFC supporter should be allowed to view their club through a fundamentally 'football lens'. They should be allowed to have their views dictated by what goes on in the football department of the club. This hasn't been possible with Ashley because the football department has been so mistreated, with such malevolence (in sporting terms), that you can only see things through an 'ownership lens'. We know that the Saudi's motivation for owning the club isn't a vested interest in the sporting glory of an old cultural institution. But if they contrast Ashley's performance as owner, and ensure that the connection between them and the football club is mutually beneficial, why shouldn't we be able to let the football dictate our view?

If the football is right, you don't have to be intrinsically, immovably dictated by your views of the owner's behaviour and motivations. You can be aware and consious, certainly, but it doesn't have to define you as a supporter; it should be the football's job to do that! I believe that, should it exist to be a legitimate and proper sporting institution, you have a right to support your team, regardless of who the owner is.

Just a side point - which could be read as trying to play down the moral debate (though it truly isn't intended to be) - but I think Staveley, and certainly the Reuben Brothers, are being a bit forgotten about here in terms of their future and their contribution. Yes, of course their share of the club is significantly smaller than the Saudis, but is there anything to say we haven't acquired three very good and admirable people here? I said it the other day but I'm genuinely excited by Staveley's involvement. The fact that she's kept coming back and coming back, despite being publicly embarrassed, makes you feel good about the club and it's prospects under her. The Reuben's are already invested here so I'm excited about that too.

We can't ignore the massive Saudi involvement, and the last thing I'm saying is that we should; but they wouldn't even be here if it weren't for those other two stakeholders.

Anyway; I assume all of this has already been said and probably more eloquently. This post is just for me, really. :lol: I went for a long walk this evening and managed to somewhat get my thoughts in a row for the first time, so wanted to get them down. Right now I feel good (I feel fucking great, actually), and I'm not ashamed or worried about that. I'm just excited and relieved.

God, it feels surreal talking about his ownership in the past tense. As depressed as I've been this season, I'd always had a niggling thought in the back of my mind that surely, surely... 13 years... it can't go on much longer. Surely the almighty powers aren't going to make me have to endure Steve Bruce-levels of anguish for any length of time. Very glad it's come to be.

Thread..

FFP is going to have to be relaxed because of all the money lost due to the corona virus.. probably even quite a few clubs will need to have a sell off to raise funds.

So if you have a lot of money there probably wont be a better time to buy players.

You have to imagine that would be if staveley and Co pull out, or the premier league fuck them off.

Surely fatty can't just say 'actually, I'm going to keep the club thanks for the 17 million though'.

Obviously I don't know how it works like, just an assumption.

Guest godzilla

You have to imagine that would be if staveley and Co pull out, or the premier league f*** them off.

Surely fatty can't just say 'actually, I'm going to keep the club thanks for the 17 million though'.

Obviously I don't know how it works like, just an assumption.

Without a doubt it will be him covering himself as we know his feelings about Staveley anyway.

Guest godzilla

Why would they pull out now? It's with the Premier League.

They wouldn't this has been agreed beforehand as Ashley obviously doesn't like/trust Staveley.

Why would they pull out now? It's with the Premier League.

Pretty sure that if it is at the point we hope it is, there's no pulling out.  Just another nothing quote from Samuel to gather clicks.

Regarding the oil stuff SA will be fine. They deliberately flooded the market to lower the price. They were trying to squeeze Russia into lowering production because they can produce it at a much cheaper cost. At the same time might bankrupt a few US shale firms...