Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

It's basically what I've thought for years, and probably why mansour tried for us all those years ago. The following, the ground, the city, everything is primed to move the club forward, only the parasite doesn't give a flying fuck about all of that.

While I believe them whole heartedly, we maybe should be just a touch cautious as Ashley came out with similar comments when he took over.

Someone posted a picture of the front page of the Journal from the time of what he said exactly.

It's pretty much right as well. Other than ManU, Liverpool and Arsenal - and after those who've had their 'bigness' artificiality inseminated like Chelsea and Man City - there's us, Spurs and Everton who ought to be fighting fit European places every year. Only we're the only one that represents a regional and cultural capital. But we're miles away from that lot, which has routinely opened the door for smaller clubs with smaller catchments like Leicester, Wolves, Burnley, now Sheffield United to occupy top half positions in our absence.

Discounting us sneaking tenth under Rafa where the club did everything in its power to suppress real progress; teams like Fulham, Villa, Birmingham City, Blackburn, Sunderland, West Brom, Swansea, Southampton, Stoke, Palace, Bournemouth and Burnley have all finished in the top half as many (or more) times than us in the past 13 years. We've no divine right to be anywhere but it's fair to state that we've hugely underachieved and 'should' routinely be a top half side given the attributes in our gift.

One thing we have over all those clubs you mentioned -  we are a one club city. That's massive in itself, but the other feature which makes us stand out is that we are the last big city in England, the polar opposite end of London as it were. Think of Game of Thrones and the north vs south angle. It's almost poetic.

That quote reminds me of this: -

There was a sculptor. He found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months until he finally finished it. When he was ready he showed it to his friends. They said he had created a great masterpiece, but the sculptor said he hadn't created anything. The statue was always there, he just chipped away the rough edges.

Colonel Sam Trautman

Strange they can make this quoted statement yet offer nothing on the takeover itself. We don't need smoke blowing up our arses, that's for them down the road, we want facts and an update.

Going all Midhat with shit like that, and I see in here its done its job.

Having the stadium in the city centre is big thing too. Leeds and Sunderland are also one club cities but neither have a stadium in the centre, placed on a hill almost looking down on everything else. Think Michael Martin said we can become the club of the north, we really can. Probably Sunderland and North east Durham will forever be red and white, and teeside forever Boro, but we can take everything from the borders to York and from east coast to west. Or at least we should be trying too.

Hmm West Ham could probably be a big club like. I mean isn’t their beat ever league finish something like 3rd? Staggering

Yeah West Ham are the other one tbf. Huge history in the English game in terms of the players and managers they've produced and their contributions to the England team, and a huge cultural following; by far the biggest club in East London. They've underachieved.

Strange they can make this quoted statement yet offer nothing on the takeover itself. We don't need smoke blowing up our arses, that's for them down the road, we want facts and an update.

Going all Midhat with shit like that, and I see in here its done its job.

I'm not sure there is an update to give at this point.

Hmm West Ham could probably be a big club like. I mean isn’t their beat ever league finish something like 3rd? Staggering

Yeah West Ham are the other one tbf. Huge history in the English game in terms of the players and managers they've produced and their contributions to the England team, and a huge cultural following; by far the biggest club in East London. They've underachieved.

I'd add Villa to the list too, personally. They've got the European Cup on their honours list.

Having the stadium in the city centre is big thing too. Leeds and Sunderland are also one club cities but neither have a stadium in the centre, placed on a hill almost looking down on everything else. Think Michael Martin said we can become the club of the north, we really can. Probably Sunderland and North east Durham will forever be red and white, and teeside forever Boro, but we can take everything from the borders to York and from east coast to west. Or at least we should be trying too.

Sunderland are overshadowed by us though, and remember they weren't even considered a city until fairly recent times.

Leeds I will give you though, I always feared that if the Saudis didn't buy us, they would turn to Leeds next. Massive club historically.

I'd add Villa to the list too, personally. They've got the European Cup on their honours list.

Would disagree with that. To an extent they’re the opposite, they’re kind of like something that’s been on display in a high end shop only but then you find out it’s actually worth £20:00 from Argos

Sunderland are overshadowed by us though, and remember they weren't even considered a city until fairly recent times.

Leeds I will give you though, I always feared that if the Saudis didn't buy us, they would turn to Leeds next. Massive club historically.

Yes but we can overshadow them even more.

Leeds? A massive club historically? Naa.

They were only a big club for twenty five years, won nowt before the late sixties.

Leeds? A massive club historically? Naa.

They were only a big club for twenty five years, won nowt before the late sixties.

I don't really count trophies alone as being the measure of a big club. For me it's a major city, with a large and passionate fanbase. Leeds is the major city in Yorkshire isn't it? A full Elland Road is as exciting a stadium as any IMO.