Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

This is particularly true for fans of City's rivals looking for a stick to beat their conqueror with, and particularly true in an ever more polarised football landscape, in which fan sites and podcasts have risen to prominence and supporters across the world vent at each other on Twitter.

In return, fans of the Manchester club have become what McGeehan calls an "unpaid PR army" for Abu Dhabi, defending the UAE on social media and pointing out that when it comes to supposedly dodgy owners of Premier League football clubs, City are very much not alone.

"Dig deep enough and you'll find murky business in every club's financial dealings – where there's money, there's a lot of questionable characters and practices," says David Mooney, a life-long City fan and host of the Blue Moon podcast.

Fellow fan Howard Hockin, who runs the 93:20 podcast, makes a similar point. "The UK government is just as bad as the UAE government. There is a lot of Western arrogance surrounding this," he says.[/i]

https://www.middleeasteye.net/big-story/manchester-city-abu-dhabi-football

Well the City fans are right. Why should they be the ones to get the stick when football has been for sale for decades now?

Guest Howaythetoon

Don’t get me wrong, I’m conflicted as I have a friend whose parents are from SA and a friend from Yemen, that and I hate the idea of my club being owned by anyone/a business and I’m anti any cunts that abuse people’s rights and murder people. But unfortunately our game is as corrupt as our society is and Junkhead is right in some ways in that we are all part of it all, unintentionally or not. Me, I have a saying, I can’t feed the world. If I can try and be a good person, try and do MH bit RE environment, caring for my family and friends and looking out for others and if I can, try and look after or out for others other than me myself and I, well, my conscious is clear, if not concerned. I can’t choose who buys my club in the same way I can’t choose to opt out of filling my car up with petrol/diesel or who makes the shoes I wear on my feet. The world is unfair, unequal and we unfortunately are a cog in the system.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m conflicted as I have a friend whose parents are from SA and a friend from Yemen, that and I hate the idea of my club being owned by anyone/a business and I’m anti any cunts that abuse people’s rights and murder people. But unfortunately our game is as corrupt as our society is and Junkhead is right in some ways in that we are all part of it all, unintentionally or not. Me, I have a saying, I can’t feed the world. If I can try and be a good person, try and do MH bit RE environment, caring for my family and friends and looking out for others and if I can, try and look after or out for others other than me myself and I, well, my conscious is clear, if not concerned. I can’t choose who buys my club in the same way I can’t choose to opt out of filling my car up with petrol/diesel or who makes the shoes I wear on my feet. The world is unfair, unequal and we unfortunately are a cog in the system.

Sure. But there's clearly a trend of rewriting the facts because that seems to make things easier to swallow.

Why can't we just accept that these are some crappy people who want to use our club for their own PR purposes and while doing that probably making it successful.

No need to start talking about oil or pretending this is just another investment like Uber for them. No need to turn into that unpaid PR army. No need to start arguing with human rights organisations or victims of their regime.

Why do people have some weird urge to like the owners?

Will those who are against the takeover be boycotting the club?

This is not an inflammatory question, I'm just trying to understand to what extent does your moral outrage extends to?

The petrol argument was just an example (albeit not the greatest one) because there's very little scope to make a stand against that and I accept that as a reality, but surely boycotting the club is an easy decision and stance to take.

This is not an inflammatory question, I'm just trying to understand to what extent does your moral outrage extends to?

The petrol argument was just an example (albeit not the greatest one) because there's very little scope to make a stand against that and I accept that as a reality, but surely boycotting the club is an easy decision and stance to take.

Run along now.

Well for one...they are buying NUFC for image purposes. Just because you dont want it to be true doesnt change it.

And...

You say they couldnt care less about their image yet they chop a journalist in pieces for writing negative articles about them. Right.

Lot of words there but very few of them based on reality.

Spy

This is really f***ing abhorrent to post s*** like that man, grow up.

It has to be said that he knew the consequences of his actions according to the law of his state before he did what he did. He took that option knowing what his fate could be

That is aside from whether or not people agree with that fate

Guest Howaythetoon

I’ll say one thing, they aren’t buying NUFC for some sport washing exercise.

Absolute bullshit.

So they are buying a club which they’ll likely own/control for the rest of time which will end up costing them god knows how much from now to whenever just to improve their image to a population both in power and any general civilisation the world over who quite frankly, if it doesn’t concern them personally or financially, couldn’t care less and even when they do, or claim to, will still take their money anyway, really?

I’m basing my understanding of this on what my friend whose parents are from there tells me btw regarding sport washing and their purpose buying our club. Why not just buy Man Utd?

Any sport washing is a by product, like getting a freebie thrown in, welcome, but nowhere near what their purpose is all about behind their total investment and interest long-term and for keeps is all about. If anyone really believes that then you’ve been suckered into something that is more of a tool others want to use the most for their own agendas rightly or wrongly. SA’s agenda is investing in a sporting institution that returns them a solid asset and a key driver to fuel further interests and investment into the game, sport, technology, property and land which they hope will give them a future alternative non oil pipeline to continue to reign in sovereignty, wealth, power and influence financially.

Again, they could open the floodgates to gay rights, women voting,W omen driving, allow drinking and drugs and all kinds of that’s what they wanted. They don’t see how they rule or their practices and cultures and customs as harem, we do.

Eventually, they will modernise, reform, and progress and whether we like it or not they’ll do it quicker and better by owning a PL club and it won’t be down to some bullshit sport washing, or pressure from amnesty or Neesy on N.O having the hump with them, it will be because the wheels of progress never stop turning. It could take another hundred years, or longer. I just hope our own western society’s wheels don’t go backwards in reverse.

We are not so Lilly white ourselves, as nations, as people, as consumers, as fans of a football team.

Who do you think makes those replica kits we wear? Kids in slave labour sweat shops. Who do you think makes the materials for our sky boxes, xboxes...

Me, I fucking hate the fact my club will be owned by SA, or by anyone, because to me my club is sacred, it’s mine, it’s yours, it’s ours, but I can’t change or choose who buys my club, no more than who manages it, plays for it or who fucking support it. If I had my way I’d banish the wongaloid Ashley enablers to SA myself. Then again, what the fuck have they done to deserve that...

Run along now.

Ffs. Sometimes this forum is impossible to engage because people want to interpret things in the worst possible way.

I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with "moral outrage" but for the sake of keeping things on track let's replace ot with "objections" if it makes you happier.

It's been answered a few times and I can't speak for anyone else, but I won't be giving them any money, for the nothing that it'll change, yeah. Presumably the people who didn't boycott the club while hating Ashley are hypocrites as well then?

You know we are brainwashed by our own government to believe what is right and wrong don’t you?

Absolutely. Which football club are they buying again?

The one you didn’t care about last month

Guest reefatoon

No one reading the at what cost thread so this one getting used?

Nobody in there for people to argue with.

You know we are brainwashed by our own government to believe what is right and wrong don’t you?

The UK Government are buying us are they?

Guest reefatoon

No one reading the at what cost thread so this one getting used?

Nobody in there for people to argue with.

Fuck off

:lol:

Why do people have some weird urge to like the owners?

The 13 years of Ashley's neglectful ownership has engendered the defensive discourse you're seeing across our fanbase

It's a symbolic break from an era of failure, no real surprise there's a desperation to repel anyone or anything that seeks to undermine what may be before it even gets going

Guest reefatoon

We should give credit to geordiedean. He has been the only person to universally bring everyone together since the start of this thread.

The UK Government are buying us are they?

According to the logic of "nobody complained about the Saudis buying Sheff United!!1!", they already own us.

That the UK govt doesn't object to the Saudis owning one of the biggest clubs in England is instructive itself. This is where we are, and have been a long time.