Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

The Saudis being allowed to sell petrol in this country is much worse than them being allowed to buy a football club, given how much of their wealth and power comes from oil.

It's not whataboutery, its hypocrisy.

It's not worse at all. Petrol is until recently pretty much a necessary thing that has been in people's lives forever. When you buy petrol there also isn't a Saudi flag on the pump telling you to visit Riyadh, you don't know where it's coming from.

The second this goes through Newcastle Utd will become Saudi Arabia United

What absolute bollocks.

How?

UK only gets approx 3% of oil from Saudi Arabia anyway (might be a little out of date).

You'd have to be particularly militant to avoid all petrol in that basis.

Oil is low per barrel. Most of the money is UK tax in each litre of fuel

The Saudis being allowed to sell petrol in this country is much worse than them being allowed to buy a football club, given how much of their wealth and power comes from oil.

It's not worse at all. Petrol is until recently pretty much a necessary thing that has been in people's lives forever. When you buy petrol there also isn't a Saudi flag on the pump telling you to visit Riyadh, you don't know where it's coming from.

What absolute bollocks.

How?

We'll still be called Newcastle United. I doubt very much if the club crest will be replaced by the Saudi flag, but feel free to call me out if I'm wrong.

Hi! I joined this forum in early 2005. Before that I was a member of the old one. I'm bald but handsome and like long walks in the woods.

Have you ever done a shit in the woods?

What absolute bollocks.

How?

We'll still be called Newcastle United. I doubt very much if the club crest will be replaced by the Saudi flag, but feel free to call me out if I'm wrong.

Any success will have nothing to do with Newcastle, the only reason for the club existing will be to help Saudi Arabia's image

What absolute bollocks.

How?

Any success will have nothing to do with Newcastle, the only reason for the club existing will be to help Saudi Arabia's image

If that is the case what are you going to do if this goes through? Do you walk away from just the club/this forum etc...or football entirely? You could support another team but who?

What absolute bollocks.

How?

If you really believe that, then there would be no reason for you to follow this club at all once the takeover goes through. Are you quitting then?

What absolute bollocks.

How?

So if we win some silverware then it's got nothing to do with Newcastle?

Apart from a handful of people on here, the conversation never turns to this when discussing with other people (also other people’s fans). Whenever the topic is brought up when talking with people from work etc, it’s always about football and the amount of money and how we will be a force etc. Seems to me the only place this is talked about is by a handful of people on here banging the drum.

So you think your work is representative, but the forum with loads of people from all walks of life isn't? Surely it's the other way round.

Guest reefatoon

People are not necessarily thick just because it is a different opinion to you though. Think that is what gets people’s backs up. The small minority who are against it, constantly trying to get their point across and resorting to people being stupid because it is a different take. Think one of the shittest responses I have seen recently was when some fella was saying he was 69, then a response straight after saying “I bet the kids of Yemen wish they could see 69” was a complete lifting response. A pathetic throw away comment to try and one up someone in a ridiculous argument.

Advocating boycotting petrol, that's where this is at now.

whnuvoh4od031.jpg

I don't see what's so outrageous.. My family and our small businesses are running completely independent of oil and gas. At no great additional expense either.. If you care so much, you can always take a stand, like my father did successfully in court against Lukoil's Bulgarian subsidiary 20 years ago. In response, they destroyed his business, his life and our family continues to suffer from threats and lawsuits to this day.

You don’t use public transport, a car? You use zero oil or gas in your life and never will? Well

I’m glad you are in the position to do that, next time the hospital asks me to pick up my mum I’ll take a stand and tell them no way am I going to fund those oil states, better tell her to walk herself home!

:lol: Public transport in Sofia, Bulgaria is best avoided if you can. I don't even consider the small changes I made at home and at work like some colossal point-scoring or anything. Anybody in my place would do the same. I still own a diesel car and sometimes drive it, my kids use the school bus.. so I'm not allergic to petrol.

I was just noting that it's possible to live petrol-free if you feel as strongly as I do. Of course, in my case the link is far more direct. Over here, Lukoil and Gazprom and their subsidiaries hold a monopoly on energy resources and preside over a very obvious cartel agreement - 98% of petrol and gas deliveries in the country come through their reserves.

Sometimes though, I read the forum through the eyes of a dirty foreigner and I'm sorry to say it, but the outrage over SA reads to me so fake, naive, uninformed and yes, snowflakey. Like people know nothing about how cruel and unjust the world is. Saudi Arabia has been a close ally of UK from the start. Leave the strong feelings to those who are actually repressed.

People are not necessarily thick just because it is a different opinion to you though. Think that is what gets people’s backs up. The small minority who are against it, constantly trying to get their point across and resorting to people being stupid because it is a different take. Think one of the shortest responses I have seen recently was when some fella was saying he was 69, then a response straight after saying “I bet the kids of Yemen wish they could see 69” was a complete lifting response. A pathetic throw away comment to try and one up someone in a ridiculous argument.

It also gets people's backs up when the assumption is that it's 'just because it's a different opinion to you' as well tbf. It's not that at all, it's because the opinions are thick as fuck, not because they're different.

Guest reefatoon

Apart from a handful of people on here, the conversation never turns to this when discussing with other people (also other people’s fans). Whenever the topic is brought up when talking with people from work etc, it’s always about football and the amount of money and how we will be a force etc. Seems to me the only place this is talked about is by a handful of people on here banging the drum.

So you think your work is representative, but the forum with loads of people from all walks of life isn't? Surely it's the other way round.

Not my point at all,  and I know you only pop in here for argumentative reasons. I was only saying there are about 5 people on here who constantly bang on about it, but I don’t hear it from anywhere else. I don’t take you opinion any higher than anyone else’s though, should I?

So glad I’ve been at work all week, it really helps take my mind off NUFC I don’t even check though the day now, it’s really got my mind sorted.

Only thing  I have is tweet notifications from Caulkin , when my phone pings I get excited 😂

Not my point at all,  and I know you only pop in here for argumentative reasons. I was only saying there are about 5 people on here who constantly bang on about it, but I don’t hear it from anywhere else. I don’t take you opinion any higher than anyone else’s though, should I?

You will always get a minority of people with what may appear to be strange beliefs that don't fit in with the majority

You mean when there's a debate to actually be had I join in, yeah. So exactly what is your point then?

You will always get a minority of people with what may appear to be strange beliefs that don't fit in with the majority

They aren't strange beliefs at all like. If it was Man Utd getting taken over by the Saudis, I bet at least 50% of the people on here would be complaining about it. Not wanting a horrendous country to take over a football club is not a strange belief