Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Guest godzilla

That Shell bird on Twitter is an absolute doylem as well.

Thanks for that sober legal analysis there Michelle!

She's correct in what she says, is she not?

"Our view is that he's likely trying to pave the way for continuing to paint his fellow Londoner..." - that's not a legal analysis, it's a pathetic sop to the "Cockney b******" masses on Twitter designed to keep the RTs and likes flowing. She's a junior solicitor in her 20s with zero experience of corporate acquisitions, and should be ignored by anyone with an interest in reality.

Bet she has a lot more knowledge on the subject than you though.

Watch this video (10m37s) by a couple of lawyers who support NUFC discussing the Fit & Proper Test and the ability/likelihood of Ashley pulling out.  It's very good and easy to understand.

Something about a woman in a footy top that just does it  :rose:

You lot are a bunch of weirdos.  :lol: The mood switches in here like a lass on her rag.

If a takeover wasnt happening Ashley would have quashed it ages ago man. Especially since his favourite thing in the world is disappointing Newcastle fans.

You have to raise expectations to evoke disappointment. It seems self-evident that expectation has been raised sufficiently.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/16/exit-the-house-of-karrimor-enter-the-austere-and-unforgiving-house-of-saud

"Mike Ashley: pig-headed retail magnate. Saudi Arabia: blood-stained inherited dictatorship. Mike Ashley: zero hours contracts in his sports shops. Saudi Arabia: beheaded 37 men in a single day. Mike Ashley: showed disrespect to Rafa Benítez. Saudi Arabia: murdered and dismembered Jamal Khashoggi. Is this useful at all?"

Exit the building Lads and Lasses...

Hes not said alot wrong there. I think what annoys me is the concentration on sport. If this journalist has a portfolio of articles on Saudi Arabia and how our government deals with them, then I suppose hes earned the right to talk about it.

If his first article on the Saudi regime is related to the owning football clubs, then hes kind of missing the point.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/16/exit-the-house-of-karrimor-enter-the-austere-and-unforgiving-house-of-saud

"Mike Ashley: pig-headed retail magnate. Saudi Arabia: blood-stained inherited dictatorship. Mike Ashley: zero hours contracts in his sports shops. Saudi Arabia: beheaded 37 men in a single day. Mike Ashley: showed disrespect to Rafa Benítez. Saudi Arabia: murdered and dismembered Jamal Khashoggi. Is this useful at all?"

A full read of that is actually quite good.

Hes not said alot wrong there. I think what annoys me is the concentration on sport. If this journalist has a portfolio of articles on Saudi Arabia and how our government deals with them, then I suppose hes earned the right to talk about it.

If his first article on the Saudi regime is related to the owning football clubs, then hes kind of missing the point.

I think he's an intelligent Lad and knows all about Saudi Arabia but he's a football journalist...truth hurts doesn't it.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire we go...

I think he's an intelligent Lad and knows all about Saudi Arabia but he's a football journalist...truth hurts doesn't it.

The truth doesnt hurt me whatsoever.  :lol: :lol:

Like I say, our government can deal in arms with the Saudis but I cant enjoy some football which is partially funded by them? Na, fuck off.

Like I say, our government can deal in arms with the Saudis but I cant enjoy some football which is partially funded by them? Na, fuck off.

Your choice...I'll continue not spending any money on NUFC...for all the difference it makes.

37 beheaded in one day...must have been quite a sight...especially if they did them all at once...quite a bloodbath.

I absolutely get it, there are moral issues to comprehend here but it does all feel very reactionary and targeted. The Saudi royal family and indeed PIF have majority shareholdings all over the shop and have been building a large portfolio for a number of years. No one is boycotting UBER for example, people are even complaining about Saudi ownership on Twitter, you know the platform that has Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Bin Abdulaziz Alsaud as one their majority shareholders.

This is not a defence, but you can't pick and choose your moral outrages. None of these pieces that are questioning the acquisition are mentioning any of the other issues in the West, most pertinently our own government's involvement with Saudi.

Guest chicken little

depends on how comfortable one is calibrating their moral compass by the british government tbh :lol:

"Our view is that he's likely trying to pave the way for continuing to paint his fellow Londoner..." - that's not a legal analysis, it's a pathetic sop to the "Cockney b******" masses on Twitter designed to keep the RTs and likes flowing. She's a junior solicitor in her 20s with zero experience of corporate acquisitions, and should be ignored by anyone with an interest in reality.

I'm a chartered accountant who now works in corporate finance, so if a junior solicitor from a criminal law background knows more then I'm even shitter at my job than I thought. But lets not get into a proxy willy-waving contest, it's all a bit embarrassing. I'm just trying to help people see the wood for the trees.

A full read of that is actually quite good.

It is. I'm not expecting people not to be excited about the prospects of this but wish the "club getting it's soul back" and "saudi saviours" shit would stop quickly. Cringe as fuck.

E: Obviously thats more on Twitter etc, where the idiots roam.

Oh yeah because what really bothered Newcastle fans about Mike Ashley was his zero hour contracts :lol:

Craig Hope saying Samuel didn’t say a fee was yet to be agreed.

The column if you read it, doesn’t actually say that. This is what many people have been pointing out since it was published last night.

depends on how comfortable one is calibrating their moral compass by the british government tbh :lol:

:lol: You have a point.

I absolutely get it, there are moral issues to comprehend here but it does all feel very reactionary and targeted. The Saudi royal family and indeed PIF have majority shareholdings all over the shop and have been building a large portfolio for a number of years. No one is boycotting UBER for example, people are even complaining about Saudi ownership on Twitter, you know the platform that has Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Bin Abdulaziz Alsaud as one their majority shareholders.

This is not a defence, but you can't pick and choose your moral outrages. None of these pieces that are questioning the acquisition are mentioning any of the other issues in the West, most pertinently our own government's involvement with Saudi.

If you read the Ronay article it is implicit : "In a world where nobody is clean, where every hedge fund is connected to something grey, where even professional journalists struggle to see the difference between the harm done by leveraged buyouts and the moral vacuity of nation-state reputation washing, it is easy to fall into moral relativism, to lose any confidence in the ability to say this is not a desirable outcome.

At the end of which Mohammed bin Salman is coming up the path in a black and white striped shirt. And the unregulated, entirely commercial Premier League has taken another decisive step down a path from which it will struggle to return."

I'm boycotting Uber.  ;D

Craig Hope saying Samuel didn’t say a fee was yet to be agreed.

The column if you read it, doesn’t actually say that. This is what many people have been pointing out since it was published last night.

That’s why I got the impression he was trying to play down the impact that the Saudis and co will have, rather than pour cold water on it happening.

Guest godzilla

I'm a chartered accountant who now works in corporate finance, so if a junior solicitor from a criminal law background knows more then I'm even shitter at my job than I thought. But lets not get into a proxy willy-waving contest, it's all a bit embarrassing. I'm just trying to help people see the wood for the trees.

Well your entitled to your opinion like anyone, don't know if you're a chartered accountant or not just have to take your word for that, but I certainly think her analysis on what's happening is pretty close to the the mark. Time will tell though if she is right or not and if she is I will be celebrating too much to give you stick