Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Watch this video (10m37s) by a couple of lawyers who support NUFC discussing the Fit & Proper Test and the ability/likelihood of Ashley pulling out.  It's very good and easy to understand.

That's that "Shell" girl on twitter, no?

He knows all about Saudi Arabia :lol:

Your point being?

Two points:

- The NY Times journalists who won a Pulitzer for their investigation in state funded terrorism know about Saudi Arabia. The analysts at the Department of Treasury in the US know about SA. This guy does not.

- Do you boycott petrol too?

Of course he does...he knows it from the NY Times journalists (and other sources). He is the Chief Sports writer for The Guardian ffs.

You and I know enough about Saudi Arabia anyway to make an informed choice.

I have no control over boycotting petrol. If I could buy ethical petrol I would.

I will continue to boycott NUFC.

Buy an electric car if you care so much

May well do the next time we change car.

Was Saudi Arabia a drastically different country last time you bought a car?

Fair point but I think you're stretching your argument a little.

I think there's a difference between essential car use and voluntarily paying to watch a team directly funded by the SA regime.

Don't personally thing there's anything wrong with what Mr Misery is saying. He's completely correct in saying you can pick and choose as well.

It's people who choose to ignore the problem here completely who are showing themselves up IMO. I'm delighted we're getting rid of Ashley, I'm not going to stop supporting NUFC but I won't stop calling out Saudi Arabia over their human rights abuses and I won't contribute to their sports-washing by telling other people to ignore it either. We can't choose who buys us, we don't have to actively support their intentions either.

That said, I hope SA are sportswashing because they want to modernise and stop things like beheadings, discriminating agoinst women and gay people etc, using us to change their image whilst actually taking steps to change it themselves. Not because they want to keep doing these awful things and make us their cover.

Your point being?

Two points:

- The NY Times journalists who won a Pulitzer for their investigation in state funded terrorism know about Saudi Arabia. The analysts at the Department of Treasury in the US know about SA. This guy does not.

Of course he does...he knows it from the NY Times journalists (and other sources). He is the Chief Sports writer for The Guardian ffs.

I have no control over boycotting petrol. If I could buy ethical petrol I would.

Oh god I cant wait whats next.

So you use plastic too?!?

And what about the dogs they eat in China?!?

Assuming this is all legit, what's the Rueben Bros role ?

Staveley leading the deal, wanting to front the organisation after purchase etc her share makes it almost performance related. Why the need for the Rueben's ?

Your point being?

Two points:

I think there's a difference between essential car use and voluntarily paying to watch a team directly funded by the SA regime.

Why? you are providing them with money and you have a choice not to by getting an electric car.  Both fundamentally have the same benefit to Saudi Arabia by either buying petrol or spending money with the club.

Edit:  I for one will continue to consume petrol and spend money with the club.

All these negative precious types are grabbing the wrong end of the stick. This is the Saudi equivalent of an olive branch.

Muslims, Jews and Christians working and celebrating shoulder to shoulder. This is the first tentative steps to world peace and Newcastle United are at the heart of it.

Anyone opposing this on moral grounds are preventing the breakdown of barriers and are the modern day equivalent of Hitlers SS.

(Pan pipe version of McCartneys pipes of peace playing quietly in the background)

Staveley leading the deal, wanting to front the organisation after purchase etc her share makes it almost performance related. Why the need for the Rueben's ?

Maybe they’ll help run the club, having seat(s) on the board?

Maybe they’ll help run the club, having seat(s) on the board?

They were involved prior to the Saudis coming on board.

I've got the inside scoop on this one, don't worry. The Saudis worked with the Chinese Government to start the pandemic, as they knew it would force Ashley's hand to sell Newcastle once the high street started to feel the economic strain of lockdown. They knew Ashley would want real money instead of fancy wallpaper. This is a long game, all ethical and above board.

Guest neesy111

All these negative precious types are grabbing the wrong end of the stick. This is the Saudi equivalent of an olive branch.

Muslims, Jews and Christians working and celebrating shoulder to shoulder. This is the first tentative steps to world peace and Newcastle United are at the heart of it.

Anyone opposing this on moral grounds are preventing the breakdown of barriers and are the modern day equivalent of Hitlers SS.

(Pan pipe version of McCartneys pipes of peace playing quietly in the background)

Someone doesn't know the rules of internet arguments.

You lose.

Your point being?

Two points:

Why? you are providing them with money and you have a choice not to by getting an electric car.  Both fundamentally have the same benefit to Saudi Arabia by either buying petrol or spending money with the club.

I do not have a choice whether to drive or not*. I may buy an electric car next time out...bloody expensive last time I looked.

I do have a choice about putting money into NUFC.

*I actually cycle to work and it's the Mrs who drives the car so she is funding the beheaders not me.

You lose.

Neesy? More like mussoNeesy.

Guest neesy111

Your point being?

Two points:

This is such a ridiculous flawed argument.

Don't personally thing there's anything wrong with what Mr Misery is saying. He's completely correct in saying you can pick and choose as well.

It's people who choose to ignore the problem here completely who are showing themselves up IMO. I'm delighted we're getting rid of Ashley, I'm not going to stop supporting NUFC but I won't stop calling out Saudi Arabia over their human rights abuses and I won't contribute to their sports-washing by telling other people to ignore it either. We can't choose who buys us, we don't have to actively support their intentions either.

That said, I hope SA are sportswashing because they want to modernise and stop things like beheadings, discriminating agoinst women and gay people etc, using us to change their image whilst actually taking steps to change it themselves. Not because they want to keep doing these awful things and make us their cover.

:thup:

I just find the reaction wildly depressing. I have absolutely no problem with anyone who just wants to go and watch the football and stay entirely away from politics but what we're already seeing, Newcastle fans everywhere making vacuous points about petrol and Sheffield United because they're so eager to get straight to bat for mass murderers is almost too much for me to bear.

Guest neesy111

I just find the reaction wildly depressing. I have absolutely no problem with anyone who just wants to go and watch the football and stay entirely away from politics but what we're already seeing, Newcastle fans everywhere making vacuous points about petrol and Sheffield United because they're so eager to get straight to bat for mass murderers is almost too much for me to bear.

This is a good post. What little resistance i’ll give this is to oppose buying shirts if they have Saudi promotion sponsorship and happy to highlight dressing as Arabs and flying Saudi flags in real life or Twitter is beyond daft. About all I can realistically do. With his tendrils all over this club perversely Ashley was very gettable at and there’s enough instances of him reacting to protest etc even if to just double down.

You lose.

I win. I’m on the peace, love and successful NUFC train.  Jump onboard. It’s unstoppable.

Watch this video (10m37s) by a couple of lawyers who support NUFC discussing the Fit & Proper Test and the ability/likelihood of Ashley pulling out.  It's very good and easy to understand.

That's that "Shell" girl on twitter, no?

The bloke is more annoying than the lass

Your point being?

Two points:

I do not have a choice whether to drive or not*. I may buy an electric car next time out...bloody expensive last time I looked.

I do have a choice about putting money into NUFC.

*I actually cycle to work and it's the Mrs who drives the car so she is funding the beheaders not me.

Generally cheaper.

Guest The Little Waster

If the people of Saudi Arabia are oppressed then its up to them in the final analysis to overthrow the regime . Supporting NUFC is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things .