Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

He knows all about Saudi Arabia :lol:

Your point being?

Two points:

- The NY Times journalists who won a Pulitzer for their investigation in state funded terrorism know about Saudi Arabia. The analysts at the Department of Treasury in the US know about SA. This guy does not.

- Do you boycott petrol too?

Of course he does...he knows it from the NY Times journalists (and other sources). He is the Chief Sports writer for The Guardian ffs.

You and I know enough about Saudi Arabia anyway to make an informed choice.

I have no control over boycotting petrol. If I could buy ethical petrol I would.

I will continue to boycott NUFC.

Buy an electric car if you care so much

May well do the next time we change car.

Was Saudi Arabia a drastically different country last time you bought a car?

Fair point but I think you're stretching your argument a little.

I think there's a difference between essential car use and voluntarily paying to watch a team directly funded by the SA regime.

Why? you are providing them with money and you have a choice not to by getting an electric car.  Both fundamentally have the same benefit to Saudi Arabia by either buying petrol or spending money with the club.

Edit:  I for one will continue to consume petrol and spend money with the club.

I do not have a choice whether to drive or not*. I may buy an electric car next time out...bloody expensive last time I looked.

I do have a choice about putting money into NUFC.

*I actually cycle to work and it's the Mrs who drives the car so she is funding the beheaders not me.

Generally cheaper.

Than a five year old Mondeo?

Guest neesy111

Just annoyed that all Sheff Utd get is adulation as a great club when they're directly owned by Saudi royalty 100% already.

First I've heard of that in terms of adulation, also there's going to be a difference when you get taken over in league 1 compared to the PL.

FWIW comparing optional things (supporting Newcastle) with things like cars that are necessary to function in a society is disingenuous when talking about morality. I’m with Jimburst. It sits badly with me, I dislike it but I’ll still watch because I’ve been deprived of supporting Newcastle for so long and ultimately, I want to have some enjoyment. It’s selfish and I know that but I can’t possibly be completely morally pure all the time

Its optional to buy a petrol run car instead of electric, which is what was said.  Plus plenty of people function in society without a car.

Your point being?

Two points:

- The NY Times journalists who won a Pulitzer for their investigation in state funded terrorism know about Saudi Arabia. The analysts at the Department of Treasury in the US know about SA. This guy does not.

Of course he does...he knows it from the NY Times journalists (and other sources). He is the Chief Sports writer for The Guardian ffs.

I have no control over boycotting petrol. If I could buy ethical petrol I would.

I think there's a difference between essential car use and voluntarily paying to watch a team directly funded by the SA regime.

Why? you are providing them with money and you have a choice not to by getting an electric car.  Both fundamentally have the same benefit to Saudi Arabia by either buying petrol or spending money with the club.

I do not have a choice whether to drive or not*. I may buy an electric car next time out...bloody expensive last time I looked.

*I actually cycle to work and it's the Mrs who drives the car so she is funding the beheaders not me.

Generally cheaper.

Used cars :scared:

But yes, if you're talking used cars petrol cars lose value quicker than electric and would thus be cheaper - for the up front price. Though the money saved on not buying petrol would change the final calculation regardless, and depending on the laws and regulations in the UK being similar to what I'm used to (Norway) you'd also save on not paying tolls, cheaper taxes, insurance and other expenses.

Just annoyed that all Sheff Utd get is adulation as a great club when they're directly owned by Saudi royalty 100% already.

First I've heard of that in terms of adulation, also there's going to be a difference when you get taken over in league 1 compared to the PL.

and the fact theres a difference between a member of the Saudi Royal Family (theres apparently 15,000 of them) and the public investment fund of Saudi Arabia, one is a private individual the other is the actual government

First I've heard of that.

They're owned by a prince aye, some cousin of MBS I think. They're not owned by the state though, they're owned by an individual. It's entirely different unless you're deliberately being disingenuous, which many are.

Guest neesy111

They're owned by a prince aye, some cousin of MBS I think. They're not owned by the state though, they're owned by an individual. It's entirely different unless you're deliberately being disingenuous, which many are.

I meant in terms of the adulation, they were taken over in league 1 so it's obvious there would less attention of it than this deal.

Guest The Little Waster

Shall we just tell the rich arabs to eff off then ? Ashley forever ?

Guest neesy111

It's these cheap bites which are the most pathetic of the whole conversation.

:facepalm:

This is not a defence, but you can't pick and choose your moral outrages.

Actually you can, and absolutely everybody does. I care more about the morality of the NUFC ownership than I do the Uber ownership. I care more about the wrongdoings of the British state than I do the wrongdoings of the Tajikistan state. Campaigners who dedicate their lives to combating domestic violence care more about domestic violence than they do climate change.

No human can possibly dedicate the same level of investment into each and every moral outrage. Picking and choosing is the only option, and if you reject that then you're arguing no-one should ever express any sort of moral concern about any act, which would be perverse.

My argument isn't righteous indignation against the world, it's the Saudi side of things, you can't say it's close to home so you will be outraged by this but not about UK Government arms sales, usage of petrol, uber, Twitter, lyft, Snapchat, Deezer, the list goes on, all in use over here and I'll bet most of you if not all have used something on that list.

Again, I want to reiterate I'm not defending the Saudis and I'm not saying this is ok, but I'm not about to jump on my moral high horse and vilify NUFC and boycott when I can finally reconnect when I regularly use Twitter, petrol, etc.. and have never been vocal about government involvement. My personal opinion is that I'd be a hypocrite to do so.

Guest The Little Waster

:facepalm:

Be lovely if you could just answer the question . Try again ...

Your point being?

Two points:

Generally cheaper.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202004158958175

6500 for a second hand leaf.

https://www.motors.co.uk/car-56567088/?i=0&m=sp

9500 5 year old mondeo.

8500 5 year old leaf

https://www.motors.co.uk/car-56595638/?i=0&m=sscp

Guest The Little Waster

and the fact theres a difference between a member of the Saudi Royal Family (theres apparently 15,000 of them) and the public investment fund of Saudi Arabia, one is a private individual the other is the actual government

Hes as complicit in the failings of that society as MBS .

So after getting a free 14 Telegraph subscription back in March to read an article about the takeover (and post it here no less) the fuckers still wont let me cancel my subscription. Just sending me a link to cancel that doesn't allow me to cancel, by April 29th according to their T's and C's im on the hook for six months. Fucking maddening.  :rant:

Guest reefatoon

It will be interesting to see further down the line, if there is big regeneration in the area, success on the pitch, where people's moral compasses will be swinging if Rafa is leading a team out in a UEFA or Champions League final. Guaranteed people will be tuning in and not missing or boycotting it. It's easier to make a stand at the moment with the takeover not finalised yet and the current shite state the club is in, but it will be interesting to see years down the line if people are still feeling the same or not when (if) the success is there.

Guest The Little Waster

It will be interesting to see further down the line, if there is big regeneration in the area, success on the pitch, where people's moral compasses will be swinging if Rafa is leading a team out in a UEFA or Champions League final. Guaranteed people will be tuning in and not missing or boycotting it. It's easier to make a stand at the moment with the takeover not finalised yet and the current shite state the club is in, but it will be interesting to see years down the line if people are still feeling the same or not when (if) the success is there.

A handfull may boycott , in the end football fans are passive creatures for the most part .

Guest The Little Waster

The DM deleted that bullet point about a deal not being agreed. :lol: Someone in pub-ops fucked up

What does this mean?

It means the gimp that wrote the bullet points or sub headlines for Samuels article was not Mr Samuel and probably only skim read the actual article

The DM deleted that bullet point about a deal not being agreed. :lol: Someone in pub-ops f***ed up

What does this mean?

Martin Samuel's article only metiomed a deal not being agreed in a bullet point under the header, which would've been written by someone uploading the article, basically not Samuel. They've deleted it now because it's not true