Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Guest awaymag

But the prospective directors need to have demonstrably done something equivalent to an offence in this country to fail the test. The government not doing enough to prevent piracy is not likely to equate to an offence.

I think it's probably quite the opposite, that PIF are happy to go along with what the PL are asking for now, but both they and the PL know that there is no way that a disqualification of the directors would be likely to stand up to legal scrutiny.

MBS is the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, and the chairman of PIF. In his role as Crown Prince, he's believed complicit in piracy. In his role as chairman of PIF, he's a person likely to be able to influence the direction of the club and therefore counts as a director, named or not, under the terms of the O&Ds' test. I went through this about 2 months ago and was shouted down, yet here we are.

It seems the PL are giving the Saudis a window of opportunity to get their house in order to pass the test. That seems more than fair to me, hence the delays, because there wasn't a hope in hell of this passing in its original form. I said that at the time and with the events of the last few weeks I most certainly stand by it now.

Everyone screaming how "unfair" it is that it's taking so long, or they're not being kept informed about the workings of confidential deals need to give their heads a shake. We have no right to be kept informed, indeed it would be grossly unprofessional if we WERE kept informed, and the only alternative to a long, drawn-out process would be the deal collapsing. Which of course it still might.

I agree that fairness doesn't come into it, my response was to your assertion that the current position would be rejection.

There does not appear to be anything in the WTO report that is likely to equate to an actual offence by the Saudi State or MbS.

As far as I can see the cards appear to be stacked very much in PIF's favour because the PL do not seem to have an actual offence to hang disqualification of a director on and, by their rules, should have issued their decision within five working days.

My view is that at moment the PL are probably bluffing, knowing that they have a weak hand, trying to get whatever concessions they can, and for now PIF are happy enough to play along.

Well I hope you're right, of course. But I don't see that.

The French court case recently ruled that Arabsat, whose main shareholder is Saudi Arabia, were distributing BeOUTQ.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019/06/14/arabsat-is-distributing-beoutq-french-court-rules/

The WTO report said that the Saudis didn't do enough to prevent piracy. Apparently the PL tried what, 7, 9 times to contact the Saudis? And were just rebuffed every time. Legal recourse has clearly and deliberately been denied to rights holders by the Saudis.

Personally, I don't know where the line is for "reasonable belief" in an offence because I'm not that up on all the relevant international legislation. But for anyone to say with certainty that there's not enough evidence that we couldn't possibly be over that line seems incredibly optimistic, as the only people who could potentially say for certain are employed in such incredibly niche positions that I doubt they're posting on here, and even if they were, they'd have to do months worth of reading and have access to information likely not in the public domain to make an accurate judgement.

We have to trust that the PL are looking at this correctly, and that the relevant lawyers interpret it correctly. And that we get the result we want. But I go back to my initial point - People screaming that it's taking too long or they deserve to be informed or that they PL are being unprofessional just come across as whiny children who haven't got their sweets yet. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but I'm fully aware that the grown-ups are still doing their shopping and the sweets only come at the end.

Hopefully we get sweets, but screaming for them and having a tantrum in the middle of aisle 8 seldom works.

14 weeks and most haven't said a word except between themselves on twitter.  As for throwing tantrums, why should that bother you, if the high and mighty PL don't take any notice anyway?

The whole reason people are throwing tantrums is because for 13 years, we have had no communication what so ever from Ashley.  There is now a possibility that, that could change but still we are met with no communication at all.

Yes NDAs etc but surely Ashley or the PL, could at least say something like....'the process is ongoing, all parties are working to bring this to a conclusion (successful).  I put that last part in brackets as it may be pushing it somewhat.

At least then we would have confirmation it is ongoing and would render 80% of the clickbait articles etc as defunct.

But no, we have to continue to not say a word, incase we cause any inconvenience to the PL.

It took the EPL 8 months to agree the Souhthampton takeover after they initially failed the O&D test,  so it appears we may have to wait quite a bit longer for any word from the EPL on our takeover.

Was there an announcement that they'd failed at any point or not?

Has a Change petition changed anything anywhere?

It's worth signing just so it gets picked up by national media. If this was a top 6 club there would be an uproar about it as they miss out on potential transfer targets.

wheres he getting 8 months from the twat

Was in the chronicle today, no idea how they can be so wrong.

The clue is in the fact that it’s the Chronicle

My gut feeling is that we won't find out until the middle of July at the very earliest :lol:

I gave up putting a date on it a while back. Seems it will probably happen at some point, but pretty sure the smug cunt Masters already said that it would take as long as it will take, so I expect they'll drag it out a while yet. In the meantime I'm back to picking the bones out of how shit we look currently under Bruce, and that will remain my focus.

As for throwing tantrums, why should that bother you, if the high and mighty PL don't take any notice anyway?

I most certainly did NOT say the PL would not take notice of us throwing tantrums. I was saying it would have no positive effect for us.

Like the child screaming for sweets, you're just increasing your chances of going home with nothing. Fucking change petitions. Fucking hell. We're turning into the mackems.

As for throwing tantrums, why should that bother you, if the high and mighty PL don't take any notice anyway?

I most certainly did NOT say the PL would not take notice of us throwing tantrums. I was saying it would have no positive effect for us.

Like the child screaming for sweets, you're just increasing your chances of going home with nothing. Fucking change petitions. Fucking hell. We're turning into the mackems.

The mackems have sat from the sidelines while their club slides towards administration. Their inaction helped cause this. Happy to boo from the stands and leave after 20mins, but they do fuck all else but moan about it on rtg and in the pub.

Ashley has done a very good job on a number of fans who have ended up like them. Liverpool on the other hands helped take their owners to high court and battled for years, theyve finally got their reward.

I thought the fans didn’t impact the PL process, so why would this development now affect the takeover?

The mackems have sat from the sidelines while their club slides towards administration. Their inaction helped cause this. Happy to boo from the stands and leave after 20mins, but they do fuck all else but moan about it on rtg and in the pub.

Ashley has done a very good job on a number of fans who have ended up like them. Liverpool on the other hands helped take their owners to high court and battled for years, theyve finally got their reward.

This.

I’m still utterly ashamed at those fans who shouted at the stadium boycotters while eating their prawn sandwiches

This.

I’m still utterly ashamed at those fans who shouted at the stadium boycotters while eating their prawn sandwiches

Oh, I'm a million percent behind a stadium boycott. But not a change petition to the PL to let the takeover go through, or whatever it says. It just a tantrum. Fucking stop. They're making a decision, this is just embarrassing and not likely to do anything other than alienate us to them.

I thought the fans didn’t impact the PL process, so why would this development now affect the takeover?

Who said the fans don't influence the process? The fans have no control. The fans have no right to be kept informed. But of course they can influence it.

Just by doing this, it'll not be for the better.

Who said the fans don't influence the process? The fans have no control. The fans have no right to be kept informed. But of course they can influence it.

Just by doing this, it'll not be for the better.

It’s not going to be rejected because of a petition, can’t see how it will make any difference positive or negative to the decision.

This.

Oh, I'm a million percent behind a stadium boycott. But not a change petition to the PL to let the takeover go through, or whatever it says. It just a tantrum. Fucking stop. They're making a decision, this is just embarrassing and not likely to do anything other than alienate us to them.

It’s just fans venting frustration. Am I going to sign? No. But it’s doing no harm, it’s showing that we’re fucking pissed off since we don’t have a voice anywhere else right now and direct letters to the PL aren’t being auto replied to, again fucking people off. Nowhere near as embarrassing at mock funerals and for me several levels below allowing your club to fall apart so you don’t appear magesque, leading to 3 seasons in league 1.