Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

5 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

My mistake in wording, by 'tribunal' I meant the arbitration hearing.

Edited my original post for clarity.

Nice one. Yep I think it was confusing some folk. :thup:

I take this lastest news as a positive. If the arbitration is in July then surely the outcome of it will be well before the beginning of the new season. If we lose the arbitration then the takeover is as good as done and we can all move on, one way or the other.

Edit. I re-read it again. 

I see this as a somewhat big win for the PL, I’ll explain why at the end.

To summarise:

The PL is challenging the jurisdiction of the court to hear this case as they say it’s basically the same as what’s being heard in arbitration.

The judge has given them until the 11th to submit its case as to why it should be thrown out. They mention there will be detailed evidence to support this claim. - likely more delay tactics. They want to bury it in litigation before it even gets going.

The judge denied them access to a confidential document - which seems to contain sensitive commercial information as to a loss of earnings and damages. - I don’t think it’s anything more than that. Ashley has had someone come up with a number and how they reached that conclusion. It’s not the smoking gun as we might have hoped for.

The judge basically says they should be able to submit its jurisdiction rebuttal without having that information at hand.

The judge also references that they are looking to delay arbitration too and is unsure if that will be granted. - no decision has been made as yet so it may not actually be starting in July. As it stands they need to disclose their evidence by the 9th June for arbitration.

Right.. so evidence for the arbitration needs to be submitted by the 9th June, I would imagine the club wanted the full disclosure of evidence for this case in their hands before they had to submit that case too. But that’s not going to happen now if the arbitration goes ahead as planned. NDM is basically going to court without knowing everything he needs to.

The anti-competition case may not even go ahead at all if the PL can submit a good reason why this court doesn’t have jurisdiction here.

I honestly can’t see any angle why this will have been good for the club.

Edited by Dr Jinx
Better research.

32 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

They seem so determined to fight this though.. you’d have to question their motives

I believe they are fighting it on behalf of outside sources and the people to whom they bow down to.

33 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but to summarise, the PL wanted to get the anti competition case thrown out because they say it’s basically the same case being heard in arbitration (behind closed doors with a probable stacked bench in their favour) however the judge has denied this and given them 3 extra weeks to make a case.

Close, but not exactly. The PL does want to argue the competition case should be thrown out for lack of jurisdiction. The CAT judge granted the PL an extension for the time to make that argument. 

35 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

He has denied them access to a confidential document which in his words he basically says they should already be aware of, they just have no idea what he’s talking about. This is good, it means they are worried that the club has something on them.

He's basically saying Ashley's confidential document about losses isn't relevant enough to the jurisdictional issue for them to need to see it to make that arugument. 

Just now, B-more Mag said:

Close, but not exactly. The PL does want to argue the competition case should be thrown out for lack of jurisdiction. The CAT judge granted the PL an extension for the time to make that argument. 

He's basically saying Ashley's confidential document about losses isn't relevant enough to the jurisdictional issue for them to need to see it to make that arugument. 

I know mate, I re-read the document and edited what I wrote. Hard to find a positive spin on it unfortunately 

5 minutes ago, Robster said:

I believe they are fighting it on behalf of outside sources and the people to whom they bow down to.

Spot on IMO...Masters and Hoffman appear to be totally “in the pocket” of The 6 and their Media partners.

2 hours ago, reefatoon said:

I would love to know the exact reasons they seem so adamant to not let this takeover go through. The effort they are putting in man is crazy.

Because the rich cunts who don't want it to go through are pulling the strings.  Possibly in too deep with the Qataris to ever let it go through without being outed for what they really are, corrupt horrible bastards. 

There's something hanging over them that's making them adamant to stop it. 

So sick of this whole thing. The fucking PL is going to delay this until next summer in the hope that we get relegated / PIF pull out. Maybe we should really pull out of the corrupt league until the resolution of the CAT case then, the fucking cunts. 

6 minutes ago, junkhead said:

So sick of this whole thing. The fucking PL is going to delay this until next summer in the hope that we get relegated / PIF pull out. Maybe we should really pull out of the corrupt league until the resolution of the CAT case then, the fucking cunts. 

Let's face it, they've got away with it so far for the entirety of this season. You've got to wonder if it'll ever be sorted without someone appealing or it carrying on in another fashion, it's so fucking tedious supporting this zombie club right now and has been for ages.

... shit, just realised this is the positive thread ;D

Edited by Armchair Pundit

Guest reefatoon

Wonder why Fantail gets super vocal when he hears anything he portrays as negative news. He’s absolutely fizzing with energy in both threads. It’s like he get a massive kick out of bad news.

4 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Wonder why Fantail gets super vocal when he hears anything he portrays as negative news. He’s absolutely fizzing with energy in both threads. It’s like he get a massive kick out of bad news.

Two posts in this thread = “absolutely fizzing”.

I’ve shared my opinion and then responded to posts quoting me. That’s usually how a discussion/forum works. I’ve also posted in various other threads tonight about other subjects... Let’s just ignore that though.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

The prawns, scousers, spuds and arse are all in a precarious position. If SA buy us there'll be one champions league spot available for those four. One or more of those clubs would likely slip into mid-table shitness. Their owners stand to lose hundreds of millions, perhaps even billions, if this Saudi deal goes through. Glazer, Werner, Levy and Kroenke are bricking it. Our best hope is that the Saudi's are treating this as a matter of personal pride and are going to pull every string and bump off every journalist necessary in order to get this done.

I must repeat my stance again though. I'm fidning it increasingly difficult to see how a fair trial can happen given the power of the people involved. Billionaires are above the law (unless there are specific political reasons to bring them down). For me, this isn't about the details of a court case. It's about who can lobby, threaten and bribe the right people.

Edited by Candi_Hills

36 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

The prawns, scousers, spuds and arse are all in a precarious position. If SA buy us there'll be one champions league spot available for those four. One or more of those clubs would likely slip into mid-table shitness. Their owners stand to lose hundreds of millions, perhaps even billions, if this Saudi deal goes through. Glazer, Werner, Levy and Kroenke are bricking it. Our best hope is that the Saudi's are treating this as a matter of personal pride and are going to pull every string and bump off every journalist necessary in order to get this done.

I must repeat my stance again though. I'm fidning it increasingly difficult to see how a fair trial can happen given the power of the people involved. Billionaires are above the law (unless their are specific political reasons to bring them down). For me, this isn't about the details of a court case. It's about who can lobby, threaten and bribe the right people.

Lucky we have the most billion of billionaires on our side then

A clear picture of delay, delay and delay. We are told by Slater, Jacobs, Edwards and Fanny Breeze that the PL are confident and going to fight this all the way.

It doesn’t look like the actions of a confident party to me. A delay of 2 weeks is nothing, we’ve waited over a fucking year. Keep the faith HTFL.