Callum Wilson

Strawberry

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

He looked bright. Difficult to know what the future looks like for him here but assuming he stays it'll be a huge bonus having him above Wood in the pecking order. Despite missing a couple of chances that the fitter version probably would've buried, he demonstrated in that cameo what we've missed having Wood in the team instead. We instantly looked more dynamic going forward. 

We just need an upgrade on him and not to have to rely on him, not sure if he'd want to be second fiddle but as a 2nd choice I would absolutely keep him, quality striker when fit, but that's a big WHEN unfortunately.

On 05/05/2022 at 14:03, Tisd09 said:

Be class if he gets some solid game time between now and the end of the season. Still think he can be a big asset for us even as a back up if we do invest in a new forward in the Summer! 

A new striker

Wilson (if stays fit)

Wood 

For our level that would be decent forward options!

Would rather sell Wood and have Wilson, a new striker and a new prospect for the future. Wood offers nothing for us. 

Just now, Decky said:

Would rather sell Wood and have Wilson, a new striker and a new prospect for the future. Wood offers nothing for us. 

Wood was a plaster for an urgent situation, he's repayed his price in helping keep us up, but we should be looking to sell him on to someone coming up at a loss.

We look a totally different team when he's on the pitch, straight away he was attacking the penalty area, and nine times out of ten he buries that one on one. He's still a class striker when he's fit. Great to see him back out there.

1 hour ago, Beth said:
4 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

A fully fit season he hits 20 goals.

There's the problem with your statement.

Aye, also his PL record for us is 18 in 43, which equates to about 16 a season. 

41 in 126 was his record in the PL for Bournemouth, which equates to about 12 a season. 

He's also 30, had two ACL ruptures, constant hamstring issues and a torn calf. I'd be really surprised if he doesn't start regressing soon in terms of output; it's quite remarkable the levels he's performed at for us given his injury history. 

On 08/05/2022 at 19:24, RodneyCisse said:

A fully fit season he hits 20 goals.

He's managed more than 8 PL goals in a season twice in his career.

While i agree, IF, IF, IF he could stay fit he would be capable of 20 goals, history tells us that very unlikely to happen, unfortunately.

My preference is to sell.

We can’t rely on him as our first choice striker due to his injury record. Then if he was the cover, we can’t rely on him to be fit if the first choice striker is injured.

Got to keep him be crazy to sell, very possible we won't be able to get a centre forward this summer as good as him from the get go. Obviously his injury record is poor but if he plays a part In a few wins or crucial goals he's worth his pay and can also help whatever forwards we sign especially if we bring them in from abroad.

If we sign another striker we can manage his minutes and in theory at least, he'll pick up less injuries. More than happy to keep him for the first phase of the rebuild, especially when Wood and Gayle are the alternatives.

Edited by The Prophet

Would be stupid to sell, especially when considering how little we would get for him. Every game he manages to play is x  amount of games that keeps Wood further away from either starting or coming on for whoever else we sign this summer. Plus he’s quality when available.

Edited by Ikon

He looked far better than Wood when he came on and he has been out for half a season, very big IF but if we can try manage his game time and improve on overall fitness maybe he could play more next season. 

Hopefully we can bring in a top young ST to take away some burden to him and give him one last season to see if getting the proper treatment will improve his fitness record. 

3 hours ago, James said:

My preference is to sell.

We can’t rely on him as our first choice striker due to his injury record. Then if he was the cover, we can’t rely on him to be fit if the first choice striker is injured.

Shirley the medical department will get an upgrade along with everything else?

Or maybe we need Milans old 'mind room'.

Hes got to be worth keeping for a season, at least.

At least keep him until we have an actual goal scorer in the side. Personally I’d sell Wood this window, keep Wilson with a view to selling him in the next two windows after that if injuries blight him further. Bring in a development striker like Ekitike and an established striker this summer

With his age and fitness record, I can't see him generating any fee of note, so not a lot of point selling.

I see him as a bench striker, behind a quality CF, ideally with a genuine prospect as our 3rd choice striker. Wood goes anywhere either sold or on loan to get him off the books,

As others have said, having him as our number 1 CF is a recipe for disaster with his age and fitness issues. We still need to buy 2 x proper strikers in the summer as priority number 1.

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

Wilson is perfect for rotation and cover for next 2 years. We know his injuries are a concern, so just use him enough so he doesn't break and someone else takes the lead. To be honest, him coming on for 30/20  minutes is great as he is dangerous every minute he is on the pitch as long as we make chances. Under Bruce he was scoring in games once in 90 mins where he may have only had 1 or 2 chances to even shoot. In a creative side he can be just as effective even if getting less starts or overall mins. 

If one up top with two wingers or wide forwards is the way then we only really need 3 strikers. A big money spend on starter, Wilson for rotation and Etikie as the other rotation and development long term one. Etikie also seems capable of playing wing as cover/rotation too.

Guest HTT II

Again I think we will look for offers for him, we could probably get our money back for him. I’d keep him personally, if fit over a full season even in a shitty NUFC side he gets 15 + goals he’s that good. He also seems like a top bloke and a sound professional too, someone you’d want in the dressing room. And he’s a handsome bastard!