Callum Wilson

Strawberry

I’m not getting carried away - delighted for him and he needed it but some of the statements “fantastic option off the bench” and “a great option in Europe next season” is a bit crazy.

It’s only one goal after missing A LOT of sitters recently, let’s see how it goes next few appearances.

Looked a lot more mobile than of late and glad he managed to stick one in.

Seems as though the rest Vs Forest and then only a short stint today has refreshed him a bit, he looked absolutely spent a few weeks ago. Hopefully Eddie continues to manage his minutes and we can still get some value out of him.

11 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I’m not getting carried away - delighted for him and he needed it but some of the statements “fantastic option off the bench” and “a great option in Europe next season” is a bit crazy.

It’s only one goal after missing A LOT of sitters recently, let’s see how it goes next few appearances.

Strikers go through patches of form. His overall record for us is near 1 in 2.

16 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

What planet do you live on my god

25 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

He's averaged more than 1 goal every 180 minutes this season so far.

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

He's averaged more than 1 goal every 180 minutes this season so far.

I mean recently - he’s looked finished recently, he’s 31 ffs - If he gets his form back from here on then great otherwise I’ve been saying for ages get Toney back.

Edited by Gawalls

14 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I mean recently - he’s looked finished recently, he’s 31 ffs - If he gets his form back from here on then great otherwise I’ve been saying for ages get Toney back.

Did he look finished today? I'm under no illusions over Wilson's long term future, but to say he wouldnt be a good option off the bench next season is OTT. And he's definitely not "finished". He'll have injuries yes, beyond next season he's likely going to either have radically changed his game in no time at all to adapt or start to struggle given his strength is his explosive strength. 

Toney wont be cheap. We'll sign someone a decent amount younger than Toney to replace Wilson imo.

2 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

What is with this weird stuff when someone has a bad ten games, then they’re finished. Same shit with Klay Thompson a few games after his injuries.  He’s now having his best season. Just highlights that we are not living in the age of patience.

He’s 31 - agreed maybe one more season but if we want top ambitions then giving contracts beyond 33 surely shouldn’t be a thing

12 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Did he look finished today? I'm under no illusions over Wilson's long term future, but to say he wouldnt be a good option off the bench next season is OTT. And he's definitely not "finished". He'll have injuries yes, beyond next season he's likely going to either have radically changed his game in no time at all to adapt or start to struggle given his strength is his explosive strength. 

Toney wont be cheap. We'll sign someone a decent amount younger than Toney to replace Wilson imo.

He has looked shockingly poor post world cup to be fair. The hope was he could pull it around, and yesterday has gone some way towards that, but because the drop off was so severe it was fair to worry something very bad had gone wrong.

But he definitely looked more himself yesterday, and apparently they've done some good work with him over the international break, so hopefully it will go down in history as a long hiccup.

12 hours ago, Shak said:

I think we should try to release him on a free at the end of the year personally, send a message to the rest of the squad.

What exactly is the message this would send? The management are loons?

Hes got 8 goals in 25 games - 1 in 3, so is scoring in a squad that lacks goals. There are only two strikers in the squad so it’s already too short up front and a replacement would cost £30m at least (Wood cost £25m).

13 hours ago, Shak said:

I think we should try to release him on a free at the end of the year personally, send a message to the rest of the squad.

Don't stop there, should crucify him on the Angel of the north to really drive home the point, while it's wearing a shearers shirt.

20 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

What exactly is the message this would send? The management are loons?

Hes got 8 goals in 25 games - 1 in 3, so is scoring in a squad that lacks goals. There are only two strikers in the squad so it’s already too short up front and a replacement would cost £30m at least (Wood cost £25m).

Aye, I was being sarcastic. :lol:

I like the fact we have the option of two different options, Wilson will hold his position and usually if it's a good chance he will finish it.

But Isak will play the whole three attacking positions at times, he chases down the defenders as seen vs Forest and Man Utd, winning the ball himself and creating opportunities. I was really impressed with Isak, the defence starts with him.

Gave it his all to get selected for the WC, seems he's had a bit of a hangover for whatever reason. Hopefully some time to rest and reflect while Isak gets his chance is enough to see him back to normal.

I think he'll benefit from not being the main man, able to come out the team and rest up and recover properly. He's alway been rushed back, especially at his age you'd hope where in a position to not have to do that now.