Callum Wilson

Strawberry

Wilson looks way off the pace for me. I'm not sure what's going on with him but, rest him and use him as an impact sub and start Isak.

I know it's easy for me to say as an outside trying to look in kind of thing but Wilson is clearly struggling with something.

I trust in what Eddie Howe's doing but even Eddie must be struggling to find reasons to start him.

What’s the xG against like post world cup, though? Can’t remember many/any goals where you thought ‘he should have done better there’. It’s why save percentage is a flawed metric. 

Maybe against Liverpool he was a split second slow to react on both? Not that he was saving the first, regardless. 

Using your eyes, bar that moment of madness when he got sent off. Pope is not playing any or much worse than pre-WC. A lot of the team in general and particularly Wilson, are. 

Probably hyperbole and it feels like he is getting it from all angles of late. But I thought to put it politely. He was underwhelming. To put it bluntly, he was shite and lazy. 

He’s just come on after being dropped. He’s the number 9 here who has led the line well here for years, always led the press from the front under Howe and harried defenders all game.  

You think he’d have a point to prove and he’d be fired up and angry. But I thought he looked uninterested, slow/not fully fit and I might just be imagining things now. But I also thought he looked a bit heavier than usual and not in a good way! 

I hope he does actually have a niggling injury or a genuine reason for his performances. As the drop off in quality and how his physical attributes have disappeared is massively alarming. 

35 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Probably hyperbole and it feels like he is getting it from all angles of late. But I thought to put it politely. He was underwhelming. To put it bluntly, he was shite and lazy. 

He’s just come on after being dropped. He’s the number 9 here who has led the line well here for years, always led the press from the front under Howe and harried defenders all game.  

You think he’d have a point to prove and he’d be fired up and angry. But I thought he looked uninterested, slow/not fully fit and I might just be imagining things now. But I also thought he looked a bit heavier than usual and not in a good way! 

I hope he does actually have a niggling injury or a genuine reason for his performances. As the drop off in quality and how his physical attributes have disappeared is massively alarming. 

He’s been like this since the WC, I don’t hold much hope of it improving now.

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Howe said post match he was impressed Wilson even made it onto the field due to issues during the week.

Isak (hopefully) cemented the striker position as his to lose yesterday, but having a fit Wilson to put on against tired legs last 20-30 minutes of games is a real weapon. 

Would hate for him to end his Newcastle career on a low, but in current form and fitness he desperately needs replacing in the summer.

Has Howe said anything about his obvious drop off since the WC, e.g long Covid or some other fitness issue?

Just now, mouldy_uk said:

Would hate for him to end his Newcastle career on a low, but in current form and fitness he desperately needs replacing in the summer.

Has Howe said anything about his obvious drop off since the WC, e.g long Covid or some other fitness issue?

I’d imagine it’s the case (long covid) but Howe plays his cards close and wouldn’t want to give the opposition that knowledge.

4 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

I’d imagine it’s the case (long covid) but Howe plays his cards close and wouldn’t want to give the opposition that knowledge.

it is something "long" but not covid.