Callum Wilson

Strawberry

A bit harsh to call that a sitter, was chest high and in the melee so he can't bring it down like.

I'm sure he'd tell you he should have scored, of course, but seeing the chance back it looked a bit trickier than at first glance.

On 05/11/2023 at 03:15, Mazzy said:

I'm still thinking about that chance he missed versus Dortmund. Feels like these couple of weeks where's he's played so many more minutes is taking it's toll on him. He did alright against Aresnal but its such a shame Isak is out to help share the burden with him.

If it happened at the other end I think we'd be talking a lot about how good of a save Pope made. 

The ball is played to him underneath his body so he had to take a touch and then let it run in front for a split second. He got a decent enough shot away but the keeper did well and got his knee on it. An excellent chance, but hardly a sitter.

The frustration with one of them being injured is there are certain games that are more suited to one or the other.

I think Isak would have faired far better in the Dortmund and Arsenal games for example. Whereas there as also games where we can't get the best out of him and he needs to drop deeper or wider to get involved and having Wilson's more physical approach can be beneficial. 

No issues with Wilsons performance against Arsenal, it's possible it was actually Saliba who got the final touch for that offside missed chance so wasn't a shocker by any means. He occupied them well, winding up Gabriel as much as he could and tried his best to hold up and bring others into play, like the Gordon chance after Almiron broke forward. 

Can't wait to get Isak back though, he is one of our top bracket players who can be the difference and is our future. 

Tough couple of games for Wilson. Hard to get a sniff against such dominant CBs in Arsenal, and then tonight as well he was expertly marshalled. Clearly we need to do a bit more in creating clear chances, however. Think he buries that header Joelinton misses, which is a shame.

My God ... so it was an injury?!

Callum just can't handle a proper run of games man. Body isn't up to it.

Such a pain Isak is looking like he's susceptible to the odd knock too.

This is ridiculous. We need to get another striker that is really rugged and physical, and that can play a ton of games without issue.

9 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Could have predicted this from day one. Two strikers was never enough.

Two strikers and someone like Gordon as the emergency would be fine if one (maybe both?) of them wasn't (weren't?) made out of biscuits.

We very clearly needed another wide man in the summer window and not adding one was a massive risk. Seems to have caught up on us, sadly.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

My God ... so it was an injury?!

Callum just can't handle a proper run of games man. Body isn't up to it.

Such a pain Isak is looking like he's susceptible to the odd knock too.

This is ridiculous. We need to get another striker that is really rugged and physical, and that can play a ton of games without issue.

Was it definitely an injury? I thought they were managing minutes for Bournemouth. We already know Wilson can’t play every game it’s just been highlighted even more now because he’s our ONLY fit striker currently. 

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Was it definitely an injury? I thought they were managing minutes for Bournemouth. We already know Wilson can’t play every game it’s just been highlighted even more now because he’s our ONLY fit striker currently. 

Hope's tweet further up says he felt his hamstring.

Was somewhat inevitable I guess.

What a mess.

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah has an inevitability about it really.  Club needs to accelerate that search for a striker. 

Yeah, I was thinking a younger striker to learn would do, but think it has to be another first team level type or very close.

Callum and Isak seem like they just aren't the sort that can handle a lot of games at the intensity we play.