Football governance

Nobody

23 minutes ago, Giselle said:

The NFL makes $11bn a year from their tv deal. The NBA is looking at $8bn for their next tv deal. The champions league makes $2.5bn/year. Important champions league games are watched by millions. The final is watched by 400m people, the super bowl gets 100m. UEFA are incompetent in how they manage tv rights for the champions league. There’s no reason why a more product-driven organisation couldn’t double or triple the amount of money that the champions league could generate. This is core issue. 

UEFA could stagger the start of games, they could play more afternoon or early kickoff games to get Asian audiences, can play late night games to get American audiences. All the talk about tradition and history masks a lack of effort in developing the product. Why does UEFA sell tv rights to individual countries? Why not group it and sell single rights for multiple countries or continent-wide rights?

A European competition should prioritise European audiences first and foremost.

Why in the fuck should a European fan be expected stay up until 3am to watch the team they’ve supported all their life to suit the Bangkok fan base or whatever.

3 minutes ago, Smal said:

State intervention is badly needed to take ownership away from these sociopaths. 

I think this is the only long term solution, is for legislation to mandate fan-owned clubs. The British government can nationalise clubs and slowly transfer over these stakes to fan-owned institutions. I don’t know how they would fund it, some special sales tax applied locally. 

Guest neesy111
5 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

But they own the player registrations surely? That would mean they can rightly stop the players from playing until their contracts end. They might not be able to stop the league but I have a feeling they can stop games being played and clubs appearing in it. 

Something like that.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Let them go, they have to be kicked out of the premier league though.

Agree......the PL will still exist. More teams in with a chance to actually win something. OK, so not as much money involved through TV etc, but over time things will settle down, agents fees will be reduced, wages become manageable and clubs will live within their means. The Champions League will still be a target for clubs, and perhaps less so called “dead rubbers” as more teams will be of equal ability. There is a need to re think football and perhaps this gives us a chance to get back to football being a priority not money.......on the other hand it may well all go tits up.

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Salary caps, you can see players reps testing that out in court.

Already exists in la liga and other leagues for wages.

Edited by neesy111

28 minutes ago, Giselle said:

The NFL makes $11bn a year from their tv deal. The NBA is looking at $8bn for their next tv deal. The champions league makes $2.5bn/year.

So, if the CL deal were for the same length as the NFL deal of $11bn, it would be $25bn. The $11bn is over a ten year period, so $1.1bn a year. 

3 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

No it won't. It will allow something of a reset and whilst there might be short term pain, it will become a more level playing field.

There's not a chance that those six will be kicked out of the PL though. They will have an even more huge financial advantage, there will be nothing really for ever other club to play for and the PL will be devalued overall so incomes will drop even further for every other club.

1 minute ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

A European competition should prioritise European audiences first and foremost.

Why in the fuck should a European fan be expected stay up until 3am to watch the team they’ve supported all their life to suit the Bangkok fan base or whatever.

It’s going to sound odd that I’m proposing this but because it’s a way to make Europeans richer? The more Asian consumers spend on European products, the richer Europe gets? But yes, I get it, everyone in Europe hates money. 

The European competition should do whatever is possible to grow its audience because it’s competing against sports and other entertainment. I accept that there are many who prefer a ‘reset’ so that football returns to its local roots and Asian and global money exits the sports. I don’t think this is a good or bad idea in itself, I just don’t think it’s possible. Better to embrace the evolution to save some tradition, save the domestic leagues, rather than fight a nuclear war that you’re not really armed for. 

24 minutes ago, Giselle said:

You can start games at 6pm instead of 7.45pm. In countries that have flexible working days, you can even start earlier at 5pm. Games can go 6pm, 8pm, 10pm. You can play Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. That way you get to broadcast 9 games per week, instead of two. The only reason champions league doesn’t happen on Thursday is because UEFA want to put on the Europa League, which is a shitty product that doesn’t get good until basically the semi finals. UEFA hamstring the champions league intentionally. 

You actually think Buck in Wisconsin is going to use his flexi time to get home and watch his beloved Man Utd who he has no actual ties too? You think the American audience which is used to teams upping and leaving their cities to play elsewhere is going to have that much loyalty to a club he has no ties too for such a sustained amount of time?

Do you think someone in China who is required to work 12 hours a day 6/7 days a week for the amount of money you or I wouldn’t get out of bed for is going to spend their time watching Inter Milan and spending the majority of their wages doing so?

Do you think someone in Japan who barely earns enough to live in an apartment that isn’t any bigger than what is classed as a spare bedroom in a new build house is going to spend their money on Atletico Madrid?

Do you know why football is becoming more popular in the USA? It’s because it’s free to watch in the sports bars they have. It’s because a lot of NFL teams have average ticket prices over $100’s. Season tickets are thousands. You could be put on a waiting list for a Green Bay Packers season ticket on the day you are born, and would be lucky to be offered one by the time you are 40. Arena Sports are even more expensive, try getting a Maple Leafs ticket in Toronto. Ever seen a US sitcom where they make a big deal about getting tickets to a sporting event? There is a reason why they keep showing that scene.

Armchair fans in other countries don’t put money in for a sustained amount of time. They will buy a shirt every few years, maybe they will once come over and attend a game and go to the club shop etc, but it’s not something they do all the time. How many fans do you think some of these clubs are going to have in these countries when they have been the Newcastle or Everton of the Super League for 10-20 years?

Edited by Stifler

1 minute ago, Kaizero said:

So, if the CL deal were for the same length as the NFL deal of $11bn, it would be $25bn. The $11bn is over a ten year period, so $1.1bn a year. 

No, bro. The new NFL deal is $110bn over ten years, starting from 2023. 

'Moving games early to suit Asian audiences'. Chinese time is GMT+8 and Korean time is GMT+9. For that to work you'd have to kick games off at midday on a weekday. :lol::lol:

UEFA don't just have an obligation to create a 'product'. They're a sporting body responsible for running every level of the game across the continent. Their job is not to maximise the amount of money in the game to the fucking detriment of everything else. 

2 minutes ago, Giselle said:

It’s going to sound odd that I’m proposing this but because it’s a way to make Europeans richer? The more Asian consumers spend on European products, the richer Europe gets? But yes, I get it, everyone in Europe hates money. 

The European competition should do whatever is possible to grow its audience because it’s competing against sports and other entertainment. I accept that there are many who prefer a ‘reset’ so that football returns to its local roots and Asian and global money exits the sports. I don’t think this is a good or bad idea in itself, I just don’t think it’s possible. Better to embrace the evolution to save some tradition, save the domestic leagues, rather than fight a nuclear war that you’re not really armed for. 

NFL should start playing the Super Bowl at 1pm to cater to their European fans, obviously.

Edited by Kaizero

31 minutes ago, Giselle said:

The NFL makes $11bn a year from their tv deal. The NBA is looking at $8bn for their next tv deal. The champions league makes $2.5bn/year. Important champions league games are watched by millions. The final is watched by 400m people, the super bowl gets 100m. UEFA are incompetent in how they manage tv rights for the champions league. There’s no reason why a more product-driven organisation couldn’t double or triple the amount of money that the champions league could generate. This is core issue. 

UEFA could stagger the start of games, they could play more afternoon or early kickoff games to get Asian audiences, can play late night games to get American audiences. All the talk about tradition and history masks a lack of effort in developing the product. Why does UEFA sell tv rights to individual countries? Why not group it and sell single rights for multiple countries or continent-wide rights?

tenor.gif

3 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

There's not a chance that those six will be kicked out of the PL though. They will have an even more huge financial advantage, there will be nothing really for ever other club to play for and the PL will be devalued overall so incomes will drop even further for every other club.

Why can't they be kicked out? Are you saying there would be nothing for other clubs to play for assuming they were kicked out, or if they hung around like a bad smell?

3 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

NFL should start playing the Super Bowl at 1pm to cater to their European fans, obviously.

You don’t need to schedule the final to suit international audiences. But you can schedule matches before to generate interest. The NFL is on TV for basically 10 hours every Sunday. The CL could at least try to be on tv for more than two hours. 

12 minutes ago, Shak said:

Absolute disgrace that @Mike was the one you were sure of and I was just an afterthought. I've poured years of my life into hating on the little toerag.

(Pip is a good guy tbf, he's just a truly awful sports fan)

How did you show up so quickly? [emoji38] It’s like you have a radar. 

6 minutes ago, Giselle said:

You’re basically proposing the usurpation of what those clubs are to their own local communities to satisfy a identikit globalist framework.