Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Villa look solid above all else, very difficult to beat since Gerrard took over. Granted they have decent players at their disposal, but they seem a lot more focused than they were under Smith. Just getting the job done since he's been in charge, no need for more than that. 

i like Dean smith but we clearly are significantly more organised than we ever were under him or under Cabbage heed.  

11 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Happily take all the teams around us losing up to our game at Everton. Just need to be within 6 points from safety at the start of January given our fixtures.

Aye, I'd be happy with that I have to say.

7 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

There’s literally no justifiable reason for people to ever leave early.

It's obviously to steal a march on traffic leaving the ground, but if you don't like traffic just stay at home. Seems absolutely pointless to sit through 85 mins then not stay to cheer/jeer the team off at the final whistle. 

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's obviously to steal a march on traffic leaving the ground, but if you don't like traffic just stay at home. Seems absolutely pointless to sit through 85 mins then not stay to cheer/jeer the team off at the final whistle. 

Usually saves you zero time too. Especially at SJP when most use the metro.

26 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Years ago When I had a season ticket, I had to leave early to catch the train…..the last train to Newark(Nottinghamshire) left at 4.45……There were no evening saturday trains to Grantham.

34 minutes ago, Decky said:

Hard to laugh at Leeds when we’ve Liverpool and City next, while already having conceded the most goals in the league before them too. :lol: 

Is anyone laughing? We're all bricking it ahead of Sunday, surely? 

3 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Okay starting to get pissed about this Gerrard situation. Villa just has better players than us, right? :lol: 

Better players, a coherent system already in place, and just a better-run club overall. 

Not to say that Gerrard hasn’t been really good so far, because he clearly has. I think Howe probably would’ve done really well at Villa, too.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

Gerrard has joined a club where the turmoil around ownership change (don’t forget ours was so bad we were within two days of administration) is three years down the road and there is a coherent structure around the football management side of the business, a setup that can survive a change of manager and a well established academy that is now producing real talent. That has taken three years to get right and operational. 

Howe has joined you minutes after your new owner came in and replaced the most disfunctional wilfully malevolent ownership in the top flight, a club run for, what, 12 years by people who not only have no idea how to run a football club, they never really cared too much. 

Yes they look like comparable circumstances on the surface but they are actually two entirely different challenges so it is really tough on someone like Howe to compare the situation he has picked up with Gerrard and his (not to mention extremely early days). 

we had this when we shifted Lerner only then to have to shift that absolute chancer Xia - the dynamic was, we’d spent so long agreeing that things were SO bad that the flip side was that they’d take a long time to put right again. 

11 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

SJP must be the most accessible ground in the top flight though. 

I’ve frequently spent 90 minutes in my car trying to get from Villa park to the M6 (so close its visible) after a match. 

i leave early sometimes. 

especially in the decade ruined by McLeish, Sherwood, Lambert, Garde, Bruce. 

5 hours ago, brummie said:

Gerrard has joined a club where the turmoil around ownership change (don’t forget ours was so bad we were within two days of administration) is three years down the road and there is a coherent structure around the football management side of the business, a setup that can survive a change of manager and a well established academy that is now producing real talent. That has taken three years to get right and operational. 

Howe has joined you minutes after your new owner came in and replaced the most disfunctional wilfully malevolent ownership in the top flight, a club run for, what, 12 years by people who not only have no idea how to run a football club, they never really cared too much. 

Yes they look like comparable circumstances on the surface but they are actually two entirely different challenges so it is really tough on someone like Howe to compare the situation he has picked up with Gerrard and his (not to mention extremely early days). 

we had this when we shifted Lerner only then to have to shift that absolute chancer Xia - the dynamic was, we’d spent so long agreeing that things were SO bad that the flip side was that they’d take a long time to put right again. 

Well said. 

Genuinely appalling tactical decisions/player choices aside, Howe absolutely deserves plenty of leeway and a healthy reserving of judgement.