In memoriam

James

“I had a good life. I think we are all scared of the day when we die, but life is about death as well. You have to learn to accept it for what it is. Hopefully at the end people will say, yeah, he was a good man, but everyone will not say that.

I hope you will remember me as a positive guy trying to do everything he could do. Don’t be sorry, smile. Thank you for everything, coaches, players, the crowds, it’s been fantastic. Take care of yourself and take care of your life. And live it. Bye.”

RIP Svennis. Awfully sad. As a bloke who grew up and now again live in Värmland Svennis has always been a source of inspiratIon and pride. A local lad done good in the huge world of football. To be able to do what he did, coming from where he did, in so many countries is immense really, probably the closest thing to Bobby Sweden has had. The world will be a darker place without him that’s for sure. His last role was as a Sporting Director here in Karlstad where I live. He just couldn’t get enough of the sport until the very end. Lovely man. 

A lot of parallels with Sir Bobby. The stick he got as England manager, being a success in multiple leagues, and just seemed to love football. 

Nacional defender Juan Izquierdo has died after collapsing on the pitch during a Copa Libertadores match earlier this month with an irregular heartbeat.

The 27-year-old Uruguayan suffered a cardiac arrest after collapsing during Nacional's game against Sao Paulo on 22 August.

Izquierdo had been receiving treatment at the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo and Nacional initially described his condition as 'stable'.

However, his condition worsened in recent days.

“It is with the deepest sorrow and shock in our hearts that the Club Nacional announces the death of our beloved player Juan Izquierdo,” his Uruguayan side posted on X.

• 2 weeks later...