Elliot Anderson

joeyt

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Not sure how I feel about him still. His physicality is good and he is decent at driving with the ball at times, but I feel like he doesn't take the game by the scruff of the neck enough and doesn't really take as many risks as you'd want in the final third, both on and off the ball. 

I thought we looked more disjointed when he went off like, having said that.  

He was always after the ball in the 1st half - he made some good runs as well.  Just looked spent in the second. Clearly not match fit yet.

3 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

He's very clever and works hard without the ball, happy to see him start a few more games until the end of the season, maybe we can try him and Willock and rest Longstaff.

I wouldn't mind seeing this.  But based on very little, I feel like Howe sees Longstaff as a RCM and Anderson and Willock are LCM's.  Willock has always been poor on the right side, anyway.

I also think, that as bad as Longstaff has been.  His off the ball work is still very good and positionally, he covers pretty well.  The problem is, he is a bit like a traffic cone when he gets to the player in possession.  As he doesn't really make a challenge, try and foul them or do anything, really.  

Maybe Howe thinks Anderson and Willock either side of Bruno is too attacking and we'll lose our shape?  Still think it would be better than watching Longstaff play like a ghost for 90 minutes. 

I would like to see Willock play in Longstaff’s role. Not just as a right sided player but actually in Longstaff’s deeper/more defensive role. He’s never going to be as defensively aware as Longstaff but I think in terms of receiving the ball deep, offering a legitimate passing option under pressure and being able to progress it either by passing or carrying is something worth trying.

Going to need him even more so if Willock is buggered for the rest of the season. Looks like he's very very close to being back to 100% which bodes well for us. 

Really deserves a run in the side and looks like he'll get it with Willock hurt again.

Think there's a player there.

There’s definitely a player there. I think what’s tricky is figuring out exactly what player he is. He’s very good technically, he’s attack-minded, very strong and good at hold up play. He’s not quick though so a wing role doesn’t seem the perfect fit. I think a LCM role seems the best fit for him but could he play CM or AM? I’m not sure in all honesty because I’ve not seen enough of him. LCM isn’t a perfect fit for us unless Joelinton doesn’t stay or Willock doesn’t get back to full fitness as both are stronger players right now 

9 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Nice pass for the goal

Beautiful bit of skill to set Barnes away. He's a bit of a rough diamond, but what really makes him stand out is his hunger to be involved. Missing from quite a few of the senior players starting ahead of him.

Absolutely desperate for this lad to score. Played nearly 50 games for us and still never found the net. I know that overall contributions are more important, but I really think a goal will help his confidence a massive amount and that'll translate to him being a bit more relaxed on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

Absolutely desperate for this lad to score. Played nearly 50 games for us and still never found the net. I know that overall contributions are more important, but I really think a goal will help his confidence a massive amount and that'll translate to him being a bit more relaxed on the pitch.

I don't think he lacks for confidence like, but yeah a goal would be good for him regardless.

He could definitely go on a scoring run though. 

I really like him. We are a much better team with him on the pitch right now.

His mentality is great. Always wants the ball, looking to make things happen. He's someone who wants to be substituted on to take part in a penalty shootout. You need people like that in the team.

The main criticism I'd have so far is he seems to want to take (for me) too many touches a lot of the time, always wants to dribble that extra 5/10 yards before making the pass. Hopefully he can speed up his play a little when required 'cause he has some good stuff in his game. That backheel pass to Barnes was absolute quality.

1 minute ago, Checko said:

His mentality is great. Always wants the ball, looking to make things happen. He's someone who wants to be substituted on to take part in a penalty shootout. You need people like that in the team.

The main criticism I'd have so far is he seems to want to take (for me) too many touches a lot of the time, always wants to dribble that extra 5/10 yards before making the pass. Hopefully he can speed up his play a little when required 'cause he has some good stuff in his game. That backheel pass to Barnes was absolute quality.

He's come on leaps and bounds mind. He's also not 100% up to full speed. 

What I love is while the likes of Longstaff plod around feeling sorry for themselves, this lad just grafts his way back in. 

5 minutes ago, STM said:

He's come on leaps and bounds mind. He's also not 100% up to full speed. 

What I love is while the likes of Longstaff plod around feeling sorry for themselves, this lad just grafts his way back in. 

Yeah absolutely, such a shame he got injured when he did as he could have got a proper good run of games this year. He's still pretty inexperienced at this level though so I reckon could improve rapidly even over the next couple of months.

He's been a very good player player for us this season, reflecting back he could've made quite a good difference to our team had he not had his back injury, looking forward to see him develop.