Elliot Anderson

joeyt

Well, A Gordon said Anderson shows plenty in training but he’s just got to figure out how to transfer that to match day. 
I also think it would be good for him to go on loan and find out himself what kind of player he is. 
He might be a good fit for a lower prem team but he also might not one of the 1st names on the team sheet and he really needs lots of starts.
Championship might be a level too low. 
He’s in a tricky spot. 

We have a bunch of midfielders with fairly discrete skills and with Bruno the lynchpin who holds all of it together. Without his ability to play out and beat the press our midfield is a bit of an unknown quantity. Of the rest I feel as though Anderson is the only one with the footwork to keep the ball and potentially link the play higher up the pitch: Willock makes quick movements on and off the ball and can score a few goals, Joelinton makes the odd surging run and Longstaff can arrive into space in the area. Of course his productivity hasn't been great, but overall I think Anderson has looked pretty good since he returned from injury, and I'd expect him to get plenty of playing time next season.

Anderson’s going to be a quality player once we work out how best to use him. I do think he’ll end up being a bit one track as his game isn’t going to be that versatile, e.g. I think he’ll nail down one position and struggle to adapt to others 

Can't believe the lad is getting flack when he was played at LWB when he's was being compared to Ross Barkley the other week.

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Anderson’s going to be a quality player once we work out how best to use him. I do think he’ll end up being a bit one track as his game isn’t going to be that versatile, e.g. I think he’ll nail down one position and struggle to adapt to others 

He's played all over and reason he hasn't developed a position so far. He needs to find his place and do not in else. 

Last year everyone was saying he won't make it as he's too slow, but that was basing him on playing out wide. He's a central midfielder, and not one which site too far forward, but he needs central exposure as previous experience has him focused what's in front of him and to the side, now he's central he has to get used to the game going on around him. He has it in him. He's a different player from last year and in another year he'll be totally different again, but the last thing he needs is a jack of all trades milner style. He needs his position and doing anything else with him will stall his career. 

I'd say the same with hall. Train him exclusively as a LB. Nothing else and he'll be superb. Mess around and stick him in mid, on the wing etc... And it will dilute his talent. 

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Still don’t see him ever being anything more than a squad player tbh. Decent option of the bench mind.

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Genuinely staggered he's played 50 times for us.

Would have been surprised if you'd told me he'd even played half that number

Only 12 starts like.

*actually that’s not counting the FA Cup, so may be a handful more

Edited by SteV

On 25/04/2024 at 16:16, joeyt said:

Genuinely staggered he's played 50 times for us.

Would have been surprised if you'd told me he'd even played half that number

1/4 of Paul Dummet's appearances. [emoji38] 

Belatedly watching MOTD and I didn't catch his reaction to the OG at the time. Looks to me less a celebration and more a 'fucking hell I'm never scoring for this club'. :lol: Bless him. 

I am still not sold on him 

Doesn’t score or create ?

Very hard worker and strong but seems to drift through games without actually doing much with the ball?

Shows a few glimpses of magic now and again, but all to infrequent.

Still on the fence.

Sounds harsh but I don’t think he’ll amount to much more than a mid-table prem player. That’s not bad at all tbf for someone coming through the ranks but I just don’t see what outstanding attributes he possesses to make it to the top. 

Personally think he’ll be a victim of our post-takeover ambition along with FFP requirements,

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Sounds harsh but I don’t think he’ll amount to much more than a mid-table prem player. That’s not bad at all tbf for someone coming through the ranks but I just don’t see what outstanding attributes he possesses to make it to the top. 

Personally think he’ll be a victim of our post-takeover ambition along with FFP requirements,

Not seen yesterday other than highlights. So not fair to comment on that particular performance. 

But the more I see him. The more I continue to think he is positionless. 

Not quick enough out wide or seeming like he’ll contribute with many goals or assists. 

Seems to drift out of games in the middle. Often wants too many touches and off the ball gets caught out knowing when to go tight or drop off. 

Sounds massively harsh. As he is still young and inexperienced. His attitude and work rate are spot on and he always wants to get on the ball. He’s better with it to feet than a lot of the current squad. Which is another issue. He’s rarely had the luxury of playing with our better players when we’re at full strength and functioning at our highest level. 

I thought he was poor yesterday and was disappointed but most of the players were poor first half. Seems better as an impact sub but there’s real quality in flashes there so i still think there’s a real player there, needs more time.

22 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Completely agree, his only real use for us is off the bench to provide some energy imo. 

Edited by SUPERTOON

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Completely agree, his only real use for us is off the bench to provide some energy imo. 

And he’s shown how effective he can be in that role. The wider question is whether he can become a bonafide starter which we’re all not sure about. almost feel he’s better wide left running at people than in midfield. Proper physical player though, love that. 

I’d love to see him score too. 

He was one of the best players on the pitch against Spurs in a role that I don't think I've seen many players do before, a number 8 cross wing back, given that's not his natural position, to have the tactical malleable mindset to be able to do that, shows to me there is definitely a player that at worst could be a very decent 4/5th choice CM, as a rotational option, and a player that could cover a magnitude of different positions.

I also think he has a very very good mindset too, which I think will help him no end, the fact he was livid after the Sheff United own goal speaks volumes imo.