Joe Willock

Really impressed with him again last night and nice to see another assist, should have had a goal too. 

seems to be playing with a lot more confidence and think there is still more to come from him. 

What do you think is the main difference in his performances now vs earlier in the season?

He hasn't always been great, but I think he has been just as good as he is now in other spells this season. The only difference to me seems to be that now he's rightly getting widespread acclaim. So just trying to work out what I'm missing. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

What do you think is the main difference in his performances now vs earlier in the season?

He hasn't always been great, but I think he has been just as good as he is now in other spells this season. The only difference to me seems to be that now he's rightly getting widespread acclaim. So just trying to work out what I'm missing. 

He’s more involved, always looking for the slide passes through or a cross And his fitness levels recently are unbelievable 

Edited by Thomson Mouse

I’ve been a champion of his too, don’t think things have dramatically changed but I think it’s clear his belief in himself has grown, he looks to run at the opposition more now than ever before and he successfully skins people all the time. I think that was always a part of his game but with his confidence up, he realises how much of a weapon it is 

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Miggy, Bruno, Botman, Pope and others were getting so much praise heaped on them earlier in the season that it put Willock’s good but not spectacular performances in the shadows to some extent ? 

Edited by bobbydazzla

Feels to me like he had a couple of below par performances, then came off injured. He then missed basically two full games. As you can’t really count the cup final. 

Think it’s because we didn’t realise what we had until it was gone :'(

He does somehow seem more purposeful and driven than before, mind. 

30 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Partly absence makes the heart grow fonder, probably. Partly he seems to be taking more responsibility on for driving the team performance now.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think people don't really watch what's going on off the ball, or how the ball is transitioned from defence to attack, only see the fluffed shot or his facial expression. It was clear as day when he was injured that we lost plenty from the team dynamic while he was out.

Biggest difference I've noticed is he looks a lot more purposeful and confident now. Even just his demeanor, he seemed slightly timid at times now he's got a bit of a swagger about him. 

17 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Was gagging over that in the match thread. He's got some fantastic skills when he's up for it. Expect Eddie to keep coaxing these out, he'll know what he's capable of, and he'll demand it week in week out.

Edited by TRon

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don’t think his performances have been any different either; he’s just had a couple of assists in the last couple of games.

He drifts in and out of games. It was Arsenal fans’ main gripe with him too. I don’t mind that so much as long as he’s getting goals and assists. He really does need to be scoring more though.

21 hours ago, mikejaxer said:

It'll never happen with Southgate, he just likes to pick his favourites.

I think it's definitely a possibility. England lack players like Willock, that's why Gallagher gets in there. Henderson won't be in these sqauds much longer, someone needs to replace him in the next year or so and Willock would be a smart choice.

• 2 weeks later...