Joe Willock

Personally think that is 3 games in a row, where he has been one of our top performers. I thought if not for Burn, he was MOTM. 

Gets forward on and off the ball into good areas. Seems to get 2-3 nutmegs in a game.

Massively involved high up the pitch and the only one that seems to support Wood in any meaningful way. 

He is deceptively quick, with a good change of pace and his fitness levels seem a lot better. Along with all of the squad. 

Even winning that free kick for the goal is massive. He is basically the only player in our team apart from ASM that will even dribble with the ball like that. 

Decent today, had a cpuple half chances in the box where he couldve done better to get a shot away but hes better than he was 2 months ago.

Would like to see Bruno in for him next game, give him a rest against West Ham.

Think he can be a bit flimsy in midfield, but that second half towards the end especially he really picked it up and was a big reason we were able to see out the game.

Pretty exciting how so many of our players are starting to re-emerge from their slumber. 

was all over the pitch today and always popping up in the right spot.  I think he had gotten to a point where he didn't know what he was supposed to do and it showed in the helter skelter way he was playing.  Now, he seems composed and in rhythm with his team mates.  He's not rushing and making sound decisions on and off the ball.

4 hours ago, Flip said:

I’m confused. What exactly did he do that was great today? 

I retract my “Flip is Joelinton” comment. Still Fumaca.

Thought it was his best game for fucking ages, though he faded second half like the majority.

7 minutes ago, Thiago said:

He's showing more flickers of what made him instrumental last year. He's pressing he's winning it back in dangerous areas and he's driving forward. That's basically how we won today.

He's showing more IMO, last season he was mostly about getting into goal scoring positions, this season he's becoming box to box, it's got to the stage where even if he's not scoring goals, his role is still valuable. I put that down to Howe demanding more from him, and also giving him clear instruction.

49 minutes ago, Pardiola said:

I retract my “Flip is Joelinton” comment. Still Fumaca.

Thought it was his best game for fucking ages, though he faded second half like the majority.

:lol:

Tell me what exactly he did so well then? 

Not because I ever used that site before, but Willock had the worst rating of all our starters on SofaScore. He played 11 passes all game, he had one interception, he lost possession 7 times. Might all be irrelevant, but He definitely didn’t pass my eye test. That being said I’ve barely watched us this season so maybe expectations are low at this moment.

Just now, Flip said:

:lol:

Tell me what exactly he did so well then? 

Not because I ever used that site before, but Willock had the worst rating of all our starters on SofaScore. He played 11 passes all game, he had one interception, he lost possession 7 times. Might all be irrelevant, but He definitely didn’t pass my eye test. That being said I’ve barely watched us this season so maybe expectations are low at this moment.

How do you rate Chris Woods impact since he joined out of interest?

11 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

How do you rate Chris Woods impact since he joined out of interest?

Absolutely shite :lol: I mean we’ve been winning lately, but he seems like another one in the mould of Luuk de Jong, Joselu and striker Joelinton.

He did fight hard today and was at least trying to get at the end of stuff. Did go check his score at sofascore so touché :lol:

Edited by Flip

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

Absolutely shite :lol: I mean we’ve been winning lately, but he seems like another one in the mould of Luuk de Jong, Joselu and striker Joelinton.

He did fight hard today and was at least trying to get at the end of stuff. Did go check his score at sofascore so touché :lol:

That's not how he is being employed,  he is playing quite deep.  Yes he is a striker and he should score but I can't believe the idiocy of people some times.  I trust my opinion and that of people who actually watch the way our team play.  Who do you want to drop him for?  We seem to be doing quite well.

13 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

That's not how he is being employed,  he is playing quite deep.  Yes he is a striker and he should score but I can't believe the idiocy of people some times.  I trust my opinion and that of people who actually watch the way our team play.  Who do you want to drop him for?  We seem to be doing quite well.

:lol: You think his hold up play has been good? Which I guess is what you are suggesting is his role? Please tell me how much he has contributed to the way our team plays. I know we are winning but four out of our last five goals have come from set pieces and he’s not been involved in any of them has he? He won a lot of headers today, however, every single one of them ended up with a Villa player so unless the plan is for him to just run for 90 minutes and hope we win through set pieces he isn’t doing well no.

Then again I wouldn’t drop him for anyone right now as we don’t have anyone elae, but unlike you I’m an idiot I guess or just uncapable of seeing that the team doesn’t improve since it’s winning games...

Edited by Flip

Everything good about our recent form has been our work without the ball, not with it and Wood has been good in that regard. Surprised at how fit he is to be honest.

He hasn’t been good in possession admittedly, but I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s been shite as it ignores the above.

And honestly I am/was gutted we spent £25m on him.

Edited by Smal

Just now, Flip said:

:lol: You think his hold up play has been good? Which I guess is what you are suggesting is his role? Please tell me how much he has contributed to the way our team plays. I know we are winning but four out of our last five goals have come from set pieces and he’s not been involved in any of them has he? He won a lot of headers today, however, every single one of them ended up with a Villa player so unless the plan is for him to just run for 90 minutes and hope we win through set pieces he isn’t doing well no.

Then again I wouldn’t drop him for anyone right now as we don’t have anyone elae, but unlike you I’m an idiot I guess or just uncapable of seeing that the team doesn’t improve since it’s winning games...

I don't think his hold up play has been that great since he joined us.  I think he is playing as instructed by our manager which is a lot deeper than he normally would play.  I am not trying to say he has been stellar or anything but he is contributing to our overall play to the detriment of his own game. 

2 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

I don't think his hold up play has been that great since he joined us.  I think he is playing as instructed by our manager which is a lot deeper than he normally would play.  I am not trying to say he has been stellar or anything but he is contributing to our overall play to the detriment of his own game. 

Chris Wood is obviously a decent goalscorer and has scored multiple goals in the PL for many seasons in a row. So in that regards, I do agree with you, that maybe it’s not entirely his fault.

5 minutes ago, Smal said:

Everything good about our recent form has been our work without the ball, not with it and Wood has been good in that regard. Surprised at how fit he is to be honest.

He hasn’t been good in possession admittedly, but I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s been shite as it ignores the above.

And honestly I am/was gutted we spent £25m on him.

We’ve won games because of our set pieces. We were a cm away from not getting the full points today. I’m happy we are winning, but I am not convinced by our play at all and that’s no one’s fault. Our squad is just extremely mediocre.

1 minute ago, Flip said:

We’ve won games because of our set pieces. We were a cm away from not getting the full points today. I’m happy we are winning, but I am not convinced by our play at all and that’s no one’s fault. Our squad is just extremely mediocre.

You don’t think we have been much more effective winning the ball higher up the pitch in the last couple of games? 

We are not good in possession at all and we’re still massively over-reliant on ASM in attacks, but we are playing well without the ball now I think. The defensive line is much higher and there is an organised press that starts very high.

I think we’ve won games because we’ve pressed effectively, got the crowd on side with that and been more organised generally.